England National Team

Interesting.

Obviously it seems like 3 at the back might still be the main system, with the possibility of flipping to a 4-2-3-1.

I’m guessing if Walker is fit, he starts at RCB with Stones and then a direct battle between Dier (recent form) and Maguire (experience). White as both Walker’s and Stones’ backup and an additional backup for RB if it’s a 4 at the back. Coady as the central backup only if it’s a 3 at the back.

Trippier and Shaw will probably be first picks at wing back positions.

Phillips is a very interesting one as he played the whole Euro, but doesn’t have minutes so far this season. Still, I understand he’s needed because other than Rice, nobody is “positional” out of those midfielders.

I guess Bellingham could start the tournament partnering Rice and Henderson or Gallagher might get some of Phillips’ (as they build his fitness up) minutes as well.

Mount and Maddison will probably compete for the same spot, either in the inside right channel (which they both do now for their clubs). Foden could be used anywhere between the lines, but most probably off the sides more.

Sterling might still have the advantage over Saka (who can be another option at LWB if it’s a back 3 and England are chasing it). But any 2-3 out of those 5 could play in any combination really.

Grealish as this joker impact player for the left. Honestly I was personally on the verge of thinking that I wasn’t even sure I’d take him in the squad. Like Coady.

And then Kane up top obviously.

1 Like

What other midfielders would you have taken?

Considering Gareth plays a 2 in midfield surely it’s fine?

Jude/Hendo/Gallagher - Rice/Phillips/Dier

Foden/Mount/Maddison

Yeah I think the central midfield numbers (quality is a different question) are fine, especially since England mainly deploy a double pivot structure. For me personally, I also wouldn’t have taken Ward-Prowse.

Google England world cup squad

Wtf.

1 Like

I like Maddison. Good player so glad to see him in there.
Walker and Phillips are risk surely
Not suprised Gomez missed out. Been so poor at times and now Konate is fit he wont get much game time.

Pretty much as expected. Interesting Wilson is selected ahead of Toney and Abraham.

Tomori and Smalling probably need to move back to the PL to get international recognition tbh. Both are way better than Coady, Dier and Maguire but eh, Gareth has his favourites.

1 Like

Hopefully Walker and Trippier stay fit throughout and one play every single match.

In for his play making abilities that he showcased against us?

England don’t have enough depth of quality for there to be too much arguing over the squad. You could maybe argue the toss here and there, but the squad is comprised of 90% what most people would have picked.

For me it is about the approach more than the personnel. For some reason Southgate has them playing with the handbrake on. There’s no reason why England can’t go deep into this tournament, but equally, it wouldn’t be a massive shock if they get knocked out earlier rather than later, playing a scared and cagey game against someone they really should beat.

From my german point of view I am highly jealous of this squad.

Give an elite manager like Klopp 5 months and 4 friendlies with this squad to prepare and he wins you the World Cup.

But I highly doubt Southgate can get the best out of them on point and for me he failed to find a spine of 5 to 7 players who are clear starters over the years.

Actually feels like Maguire ( :joy: ) Rice and Kane are his only clear starters.

Haha, Madisson in the promo photo, as if he were solid all the way.

NotPickford
Trent Dier Stones Trippier
Bellingham Rice Foden
Saka Kane Sterling

England miss this man.

1 Like

Best English player since Duncan Edwards my Utd supporting uncle assured me.

And Trent, crazy choice for that, though Trent is rather better looking than most of them.

Maddison you could make a case for that as well, god knows why Kane is there mind.

1 Like

I am surprised Wilson got a call up, Ivan Toney deserved a place in the squad, he has been superb for Brentford.

1 Like

Anyone know of any caves for rent?
Looking for a short term tenancy, 5 weeks should do it!

1 Like

Harry Maguire will be out of the country so you can use his.
He’ll probably be back after a week though.

1 Like

Too short, although life may be bit bit more bearable, and somewhat amusing once he’s home