England National Team

I’m always amazed when people have the attention span to keep track of all of the details like this…

Bit of an eye for detail, good memory and certainly no phones whatsoever while our game is on. Not difficult.

:slight_smile:

Phillips and Henderson should probably be nowhere near the side on form.

BBC commentary while England are getting outplayed “with Bellingham and Maino in midfield they might not be winning today but the future is bright for england”

Clown Clowning Around GIF by Sarah Squirm

1 Like

I actually got what I meant to say wrong, as I missed out the ‘overall’ and was supposed to say that I think Quansah’s passing Is better overall than Virg’s

All of Liverpool’s CBs are ones who are extremely comfortable on the ball and do pass well at times too. And yes , even Matip at the rare times he gets to pass the ball.

VVD has become slightly inconsistent at recent times but he’s still comfortably the best passer amongst Liverpool’s centerback options.

VVD is the best long range passer, but from what i see from Quansah suggests that he is more comfortable passing the ball through the lines, Virg apart from his wonderful crossfield balls seems more of a safe passer of the ball.

Also with him playing left sided centre back against sides that press, aka Arsenal we can get pressed and trapped with no outball in our left corner as Virg plays what looks like a safe pass out to the LB

He’s having a great season, but dear me, this is just classic isn’t it.

Yesterday it was Bellingham, now it’s Foden, tomorrow is Saka, Kane…

:joy: :man_facepalming:t2:

Sky Sports admin must be as bored as the guy who posted his little AI predictions for the CL winners seeing as they ask these type of things every week.

2 Likes

You lot are discussing it, so clearly it’s working…

Southgate’s announcing his provisional England squad today.

Curtis and Quansah are expected to be in the provisional squad - Hendo out.

1 Like

I’m surprised Curtis Jones is anywhere near the squad.

On form he shouldnt be, but Maino has just broken through and there are shouts for that lad from Palace whos had only half a season of top flight football. England clearly desperate for genuine midfielers

Up to his injury he was probably one of the best since then he has been poor.

Quansah deserves this trial but I expect he will miss out, I’d take Gomez if you need a versatile tournament player he is idea.

Rashford left out, and understandably so, but at 26 that is startling. He has wasted his career at ManU.

3 Likes

Rashford had the best season of his career just last year under the same United manager and system. I don’t think it’s a case of Man Utd ruining his career and England chances, as much as it’s Rashford himself just being in terrible form.

Rashford also just doesn’t work hard enough in other phases of the game to justify playing him if he’s not in scoring form. He’s a ridiculously lazy player.

On Rashford, his form’s been below expected, but that’s as much down to how the manager uses him as him being in terrible form. Under other managers, I suspect his numbers would be better.

Good to see Gomez make the provisional squad - expect him to be on the plan.

Squad in full

England’s provisional Euro 2024 squadpublished at 14:00

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal), James Trafford (Burnley).

Defenders: Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton), Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Harry Maguire (Manchester United), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Jack Grealish (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), James Maddison (Tottenham), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Interesting that Trent’s down as a midfielder again, and the likes of Jude, Foden, Palmer and Maddison as forwards. The above from the BBC.

1 Like

It seems very light on midfielders. What formation is he playing?

The 33-man selection will be whittled down to 26 following the friendlies against Bosnia-Herzegovina and Iceland on 3 and 7 June.

Fully expect Trent and Gomez in the 26 man squad. Expect Curtis and Jarrell to not make it.

I’m more interested in how soon they will be able to get working with Slot .

2 Likes

England manager Gareth Southgate: "I wouldn’t be obsessed with where we’ve positioned the players. I write a list and other people put a heading on it.

1 Like