England National Team

And a great ball from Grealish…

I blame Dan Gosling, the prick.

Trent so nonchalant but deadly best player on the pitch the earlier long pass was sublime should have resulted in a goal then they stopped him taking corners and the accurate crosses stopped. Eze good player very eze on the eye

1 Like

Trent, Gallagher, Palmer and Eze all looked decent I thought. Bowen and Watkins looked out of their depth.

1 Like

https://x.com/TheAnfieldWrap/status/1797727388790600001

3 Likes
1 Like

Curtis and Maddison not in the final squad.

Same with Quansah.

2 Likes

I’m quite happy if they can keep fit and spend some time with Slot.

5 Likes

Albeit they are probably gutted to be missing out, we know that neither would get much playing time, so them both being in for the arrival of Slot is the better result.

Quansah still with the now 31 man squad - makes sense due to limited CBs compared to midfielders. Sounds as though Jones and Maddison have both left the camp after being told they won’t make the squad.

2 Likes

Feels harsh letting them go early, but maybe better to be honest rather than stringing then along. Obviously we all know Jones has been out of form since returning from injury so didn’t expect him to make the cut.

1 Like

It might seem harsh, but ultimately 33 players is too many to run reasonable training sessions with. I’d imagine some of the fringes were picked to fill in for players who wouldnt be able to take full part over the first week or so, but once the core group are available and ready to be fully involved it makes sense to send some home.

Personally, I’d have kept Jones and found a way to play him given how lacking we are in CM, but only a Liverpool fan was every going to have that high a view of Jones (and only some of those).

2 Likes

I get the other 2 but Quansah - Its now come out that Maguire is probably out but why is Southgate picking someone who hasnt played for months - same as Luke Shaw?

FWIW, I’m seeing conflicting stories on whether they have all left the squad already. Supposedly neither Dunk nor Maguire are in full training so you can understand there might be value in keeping Quansah around for a few more days to make up the defensive numbers in training even if he’s been told he wont make the squad. Whereas for Maddison and Jones they might be viewed as having to be accommodated and taking away “reps” during drills from players the coaches want to be working with.

Shaw is the only legit LB he has in the entire squad and so its understandable he’s giving him more leeway to work his way into fitness. Maguire just seems like an addiction Southgate cannot get over and seemingly is willing to reward him for what he’s done for England in the past even when hopelessly out of form and not fully fit. Part of me is inclined to say that the lack of other candidates at CB explains that a bit, but a big part of that has been Southgate’s reluctance to give some of those fringe guys their chances to establish themselves as better options.

1 Like

On top of those that are marked down as not making the squad, but not yet left, you can add Grealish (to Maguire and Quansah).

If those three are cut, then its 2 left to go - one will be a keeper, and then one outfield.

1 Like

Injury was likely the only way we were going to avoid seeing Maguire getting games so this is hopefully one of those moments where a conservative manager has his hand forced through injury and finds himself with a better side (Like Bryan Robson breaking down in 90).

Grealish is a huge call though. I get the competition is fierce and don’t think he has ever done enough to justify the outcry and him not getting enough minutes 2 years ago, but he has that individual flair that you’d think has a lot of a value in international football that is often characterized by staleness of performances of teams trying to find rhythm.

1 Like

Agreed Grealish is a big call, I would consider too good at football to leave behind but I guess the form of Palmer and Eze has pushed him out.

1 Like

Yeah I’m surprised at the Grealish omission despite his poor form this season. England without Maguire is something a lot of people have called for for a while, certainly will result in a pacier back line and an ability to push higher up the pitch.

Except he’ll probably go with Dunk who is not as prone to the catastrophic lapses Maguire has allowed to come into his game as he attempt to expand his play beyond what he can comfortably do, but I don’t think his abilities are that different. Similar player just less toxicity over his selection.

1 Like

I would have kept Curtis as well rather than Wharton Bowen was not very good against BHV I am glad he left out Quansah otherwise with our luck he would have got injured however I think he is better than Guehi imo

Id rather either of them over Jack the lad.

1 Like