England National Team

Which CBs are in the final squad?

Grealish lifestyle over the past few weeks might have had a bearing on the decision - I mean, has he even sobered up yet after the celebrations he went on

1 Like

Full squad, CBs bold

Goalkeepers: Dean Henderson (Crystal Palace), Jordan Pickford (Everton), Aaron Ramsdale (Arsenal).

Defenders: Lewis Dunk (Brighton), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Marc Guehi (Crystal Palace), Ezri Konsa (Aston Villa), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), Kieran Trippier (Newcastle), Kyle Walker (Manchester City).

Midfielders: Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Conor Gallagher (Chelsea), Kobbie Mainoo (Manchester United), Declan Rice (Arsenal), Adam Wharton (Crystal Palace).

Forwards: Jude Bellingham (Real Madrid), Jarrod Bowen (West Ham), Eberechi Eze (Crystal Palace), Phil Foden (Manchester City), Anthony Gordon (Newcastle), Harry Kane (Bayern Munich), Cole Palmer (Chelsea), Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), Ivan Toney (Brentford), Ollie Watkins (Aston Villa).

Dropped from original 33-man shortlist: James Trafford (Burnley, goalkeeper), Jarrad Branthwaite (Everton, defender), Jarell Quansah (Liverpool, defender), Harry Maguire (Manchester United, defender), Curtis Jones (Liverpool, midfielder), Jack Grealish (Manchester City, forward), James Maddison (Tottenham, forward).

3 Likes

https://x.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1798764024307519537

3 Likes

Iā€™m quite glad Quansah has been dropped at this point. Heā€™s had a great season for us, but itā€™s his first as a first team regular (not even really first choice).

If he was to make a mistake at the Euros, the backlash could crush his confidence. Heā€™s a clear talent. His time will come.

7 Likes

Maguire not fit enough, it seems.

I wouldā€™ve dropped Bowen. Quality season no doubt (although also heavily while playing up top for West Ham), but there are too good players ahead of him in his position. Donā€™t know if heā€™ll even get much game time.

There will be a question mark over Englandā€™s quality in the first third of the pitch and thatā€™s also including the deeper midfield.

1 Like

I only just realized after reviewing that list that Colwill wasnā€™t even included in the 33. I get he didnt have a good season at Chelsea, but that is a big come down from where he was in August of last year considering how few established defenders there were in the group. Chelsea really is a cancer.

2 Likes

https://x.com/DeadlineDayLive/status/1798805400558632993

His actual reactionā€¦

3 Likes

Itā€™s an odd one - Rice did the presser yesterday and was talking about being surprised theyā€™ve been omitted (Jack and Maddison), that theyā€™re his best mates there etc etc.

I donā€™t see the fume - heā€™s overrated and been poor most of this season - as is the case with Maddison.

Said it earlier in the thread - Iā€™d take Eze all day over Jack on form.

Jack and Maddison also appear (to me anyway), to not have footy as their main focus - prob not good for squad focus if there are lads farting around.

1 Like

So, Curtis Jones (23; 86 PL games, 11 CL games and many other cup games) is dropped, but Kobbie Mainoo (19; 25 PL games) and Adam Wharton (20; 16 PL games) are selected.

Hmmā€¦ :thinking:

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure entirely comparable?

Both Mainoo and Wharton are defensively minded midfielders, Curtis is more attacking. We know that Curtis can do a job in midfield within any position, and we can go round the houses as to why Curtis is betterā€¦with our clear bias.

Curtis was injured up until mid April, whilst Wharton and Mainoo have been playing a fair bit. Focus should be on the last 3-4 months.

Iā€™m fine with it - neither of the three will be starters, Wharton is clearly the best to jump into the No.6 position to replace Rice, so he makes sense. Mainoo is simply flavour of the month.

Iā€™d rather Curtis be at the first day of pre-season and focus on us.

Devils advocate - plenty would argue that both Grealish and Maddison are better than Curtisā€¦

5 Likes

All I have to say is that without Maguire England seems to be nailed on for at least the semi final.

Jinx intended. :grin:

2 Likes

Wharton and Mainoo are seen as players with massive potential, so I guess the argument would be to expose them to international tournament experience and preparation, in order to accelerate their development. Not necessarily my views when comparing Wharton, Mainoo, and Jones, but I can see why Southgateā€™s done it.

1 Like

Run the into the ground, I say (unless we sign Wharton), let them leave Liverpool players alone!

2 Likes

It was pleasing to see Southgate pick a squad on form. There is always debate to be had, but he made some big decisions and Maguire, Grealish and Maddison were jettisoned, and Rashford didnā€™t even get close enough to it to be dropped like those named.

Good.

There has been a sense that Southgate has gone with too many of his favorites, regardless of form.

I hope his new found boldness in selection will result in some boldness on the pitch in how the team goes about its business. There are plenty of players for a really good 4231, giving solidity, creativity, and goals. Unusually for England, there is some depth and good options at the sharp end of the pitch.

Iā€™ve been let down too many times over the years by timid fare from England, and have been conditioned to expect another nearly tournament, but on paper, England really should be there or thereabouts.

1 Like

Thereā€™s your big mistakeā€¦caring :joy:

2 Likes

Completely agree with that.

(They still have Gomez and Trent to fuck up with thoughā€¦ hopefully theyā€™ll come through unscathedā€¦)

2 Likes

Their goalies arenā€™t great to be honest, and I donā€™t trust their central defence. Not sure theyā€™ll be watertight against strong opposition. On the other hand, they have one or two really good midfielders, and some great attacking players.

At the end of the day, it will depend on Southgate. If he can make them solid at the back, then individual quality will be able to shine through up front. If not, theyā€™ll have problems imo.

1 Like

I agree with this 100%. Goalkeeper is average, and the central defence isnā€™t great either. If both those areas could at least be competent - big if, the midfield and attack might do enough for England to go far.

Kylian Mbappe is probably nervous thinking about facing Dunk or Konsa :joy:

1 Like

Weā€™ve only really got 3 CBs - Stones, Guehi and Dunk. Both Gomez and Konza may consider themselves better at CB but have played most (all?) their recent football at FB.

3 Likes