England National Team

Nah. They’re all all-time greats.

1 Like

I don’t think you can blame Kane for that, other than he is quite clearly a jinx.

1 Like

Obviously not nice for it to happen but that is some fans for you… however, I never understood why families travel with players. Surely, it cannot be anything other than a distraction.

p.s. a story on the beeb

Rice and Bellingham would start for us, yes.
Stones isn’t better than Konate.
Saka massively overrated.
Whose place would Foden and Kane take?

Pickford and Trippier wouldn’t make our bench

4 Likes

It’s funny, I have two seemingly mutually contradictory ideas about Southgate and England.

Over his time as manager, I have generally thought that a lot of the criticism was unfair, based on overestimated players and some gaps in what was available. Previous tournaments under him have seen England advance reasonably well, albeit the football was never compelling. The main issue was absurd expectations.

This tournament, the football seems worse, and despite winning the group, England seems vulnerable. While the talent is not as good as the English press thinks, it is a fairly deep side that is being outperformed by much less talented teams.

5 Likes

Now that it is do or die, we will see what they are made of.

I expect improvement against Slovakia, but then Italy or Netherlands will get them. Still, there remains a nagging suspicion that they could go all the way to the final. It’s a weird one, as almost anything can happen now.

1 Like

Bellingham will probably turn out to be one. TAA is well on his way to that status as an RB. Kane is already England’s all-time leading scorer. You think that he won’t be remembered as an all-time great once he retires?

They might be overrated to some extent, but generally speaking they have the talent to win international tournaments. The fact that they are struggling so much is on their manager.

1 Like

4 Likes

The player on the right belongs to one of the greatest clubs in the world. The player on the left spent 14 years at Tottenham.

I know we like to make fun of Kane and I don’t care for him either, but there is no denying that he is one of the best strikers England has ever produced.

3 Likes

IMO based on last seasons performances Joe Gomez should be first choice LB.

Southgate prefers a ‘natural’ LB? Fine - so he starts Trippier and had Shaw as backup. Now both are injured it seems and according to reports Gareth wants to start Konsa. A CB, right? Does he have experience at LB? When did he last play as a LB?

1 Like

Shaw was projected to be back for this game, so unless he has a set back will likely be back and will go someway to fixing the problems on that side.

He has never kicked a ball as a left back it has been reported

1 Like

Luckily, kicking a ball isnt part of the job description in this england team

4 Likes

Am I the only one who has never even heard of Guehi or Wharton?

We were after Guehi apparently.

Nice that no LFC players are starting this match! More rest for our Reds!

2 Likes

They’re both v good players

Hopefully not today

Oops

How fucking nauseating

2 Likes