England National Team

They’ll get done by the Swiss, anyway.

1 Like

We’ll beat the Swiss. No problem.

Hope so

https://x.com/matondoprop/status/1807484524940726474?s=61&t=VxX1vHU3NOwwNhlbyICG-g

2 Likes

As expected, the media headlines papering over the massive cracks.
Bellingham, the worlds most overhyped player, anonymous for the last 4 games, has now been described as having scored one of the finest goals by anyone in an England shirt.

I want this lot to get all the way to the final now, then be beaten by a last gasp goal like Bellingham scored last night, to make it the most devastating and heartbreaking experience imagineable

3 Likes

No matter what the result is on Saturday, I’ll be pissed if at least 1 newspaper on Sunday doesn’t go with the headline Swiss Rolled.

*grabs coat

3 Likes

Bellingham was pretty fucking good for the first half of the first game…owned the park…

after that though, well below his level

Feels like Southgate will not play Trent again for the rest of this Euro, and this win will be more likely to convince him that he is correct.

1 Like

Damn, they must’ve shown a different game in Scotland

you dont reckon he was good in that first half?

thought he was a monster…that header was brutal…some of his passes were brilliant

He’s a scot, mate. Bitterer than the bitterest bitters. :wink:

I’ve not seen or heard any comments saying he was anywhere close to being a monster.
Very average, like the manager and his team mates.

My nationality has no bearing on their performances.

2 Likes
1 Like

Southgate’s tactics are complete crap. A big part of me was hoping England would lose so this guy would get sacked. England are winning despite Southgate. Just awful.

I can’t believe the FA can’t see this.

1 Like

The most amazing thing about the game yesterday was that after they got the second goal, they dropped deep. Again!

Slovakia looked absolutely legged, and England could have easily killed the game.

Slovakia got chances late in the game to take the game to penalties.

2 Likes

To put England’s performances in context, Kane scored after 18 minutes against Denmark and then the whole team failed to score again for the rest of that game, a whole game against Slovenia and a full 90 minutes against Slovakia.

They eventually scored two goals in quick succession against an exhausted Slovakia team. Aside from a couple of stars, these teams are largely made up of Championship level players.

Southgate’s decision to take his forwards off in ET was not just cowardice, but also stupidity. If they had scored an equaliser he would have been without his lead penalty taker.

I’m assuming that these dismal performances were largely down to Trent who has been sitting on the bench like a giant elephant in the room.

4 Likes

Southgate’s tactics are from the 1990s or even further back.

There were times when England had four players standing on Slovakia’s back line, with Jude and Kane within 5-10 yards of each other, and two others hugging the touchline. With England’s back four, Slovakia would just keep themselves compact and took away passes through the channels and half spaces. England could not break the lines. Declan Rice was sitting in front of the back four and Mainoo was getting lost in midfield. Often, England were outnumbered and susceptible to a break if they ever lost the ball. So to counter, England could only go over the top with long balls, often from Pickford. If your tactics are reliant on Jordan Pickford picking out the correct pass from 60 yards, you’re facked.

I’m listening to a podcast where they are criticizing both Southgate and the players, with the commentators saying the players are playing poorly or not doing anything. This is wrong. The players are doing what they’ve been asked to do. They are just set up to fail. I don’t know how many times I saw England outmanned in tight spaces because their players have been asked to occupy specific parts of the park.

Absolutely crap tactics.

2 Likes

A statistic was brought up on the commentary during the match. In the group stage, England ranked third last in number of shots attempted. That happens because of how the side is set up.

In all of Southgates knock out games England have 11 shots on goal.

2 Likes