England National Team

#DadJokes

1 Like

Me or him?
Or both?

@cynicaloldgit, only because i havent seen the interview.

:face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: + the hits just keep on landing :0)

Gary Lineker backs Frank Lampard as Gareth Southgate successor

Gary Lineker has backed Frank Lampard to succeed Gareth Southgate as England manager.

Lineker predicted Southgate would quit his job even if he won the European Championship after leading his country to another semi-final at a major tournament.

The BBC Match of the Day host gave Lampard a ringing endorsement following the former Chelsea player and managerā€™s punditry during Englandā€™s quarter-final penalty shoot-out win over Switzerland on Saturday.

Speaking on his The Rest is Football podcast, Lineker ā€“ who had previously suggested Southgate was ā€œtactically ineptā€ ā€“ said: ā€œThis will be Gareth Southgateā€™s last tournament, I think, whatever happens. If he wins, I think heā€™ll absolutely bow out.

ā€œAnd if he doesnā€™t then I think heā€™ll bow out. Itā€™ll be his decision. But I wouldnā€™t disregard Frank Lampard. I think he tactically gets it. I think the players will respect him immediately. Iā€™m getting ahead of things here.

Lineker added: ā€œI think heā€™s been a bit unlucky in his managerial career in some ways. I think he gets it tactically.ā€

Podcast co-host Micah Richards added of the former Derby County manager: ā€œWhen he went to Derby, I think the feeling was he played really good football, but it should have got them up. He went to Chelsea [during] the transfer embargo and still managed to get top four, with all the bringing the young players through, [Tammy] Abraham, [Mason] Mount, etc. etc. Then he went to Everton, kept them up.

6 Likes

Lot of time for lineker but heā€™s talking absolute shit here.

4 Likes

Oh iā€™m all for it

5 Likes

Incredible really.

1 Like

Itā€™s a strange one. England brought in heralded managers like Eriksen and Capello and fell short, though there were some decent moments along the way. Weā€™ve had lots of home grown bosses who have done no better, and most of them worse.

And now Southgate is at the helm. He failed as a club manager, but he is doing more with the team than most who went before him. And who knows, he might bow out with a trophy.

All this is to say that managers with great CVā€™s have failed at the job, while modest managers like Southgate have done fairly well, even if the football has been poor.

Lampard might just get the job and shine, but in no way does he deserve it. His name has afforded him multiple managerial failures, when others would have sank without trace.

I would not be for it, but stranger things have happened.

2 Likes

Englandā€™s elimination in 02 to portugal on pens, after losing Rooney early to injury, was a better performance than any of the wins southgate has had in any of his tournaments. Again, it comes down to quality of opponent theyā€™ve respectively been drawn against.

4 Likes

Nooo!!! This will a disaster!! His club track record speaks for itself.

2 Likes

:joy::rofl::rofl::rofl:

5 Likes

The only good song the England team has ever released.

3 Likes
1 Like

Priceless very funny joke about the semis!

He hasnā€™t been unlucky but more like clueless

1 Like

11 Likes

Well thank fuck for that.
Didnt watch it, now I donā€™t have to hear about them winning it.

Itā€™s coming home in the Nations Leagueā€¦ā€¦B

Unfortunately Kane became Englandā€™s Ronaldo.
I donā€™t think there one person who wouldā€™ve thought Kane being dropped for final wouldā€™ve been a bad decision. But everyone knew it wouldnt happen.
But winners have managers who are brave enough to make that decision. Martinez for Portugal also wouldnt drop Ronaldo and had to watch him walk around the pitch doing nothing while Felix and Jota were on the bench.
With all the talent England have its criminal that Trent, Gordon, Bowen hardly saw any action while others saw none. Palmer shouldve started more as well.
Walker has been appalling with most of the goals (2 in the final) coming down his side yet it seems he is in the team because he is fast. Trent wouldā€™ve been hung out to dry if he was playing and they scored their goals down his side.

Spain won 7/7 while England needed a last second super goal to force extra time and beat Slovakia then penalties to beat Switzerland.

They get to the final having played decent for 45 min in the whole tournament and have no plan to play Spain other than when losing, finally take off Kane, smash the ball long to Watkins (which is madness) and then when that dont work smash the ball long to Toney who had 90 seconds of action.

Spain meanwhile had Morata who never looked like he would score but ran his socks off and ran the channels and when he was knackered off he came and they brought a lad on to do more of the same. You dont see Spain bringing on a 6ā€™6 guy and smacking the ball long and thats because they have a plan and they all buy into it. If they go a goal down they stick to their beliefs on how they play.

Southgateā€™s done well but the truth is whenever England have faced someone half decent in the tournaments when it really matters they have lost. They always get the easy side of the draw and make hard work of it.

I dont know who replaces Southgate, if he stands down. I hear Eddie Howe - but not sure he is the answer.

3 Likes