England National Team

Good luck to Tuchel. He appears to be the best man for the job.

Line up the best England managers and compare…

Exactly! Tuchel it is then.

Whether or not that translates to a trophy remains to be seen, as at the sharp end of a tourney anything can happen. I think Tuchel’s flaws are a bit overblown, and they are mitigated by the national set up - no transfers, and less time with everyone. His strong suit has an opportunity to come to the fore - tactician, set up a team, make some decisions about the blend even if a big name or two miss out, and make proactive adjustments in the heat of battle as the action unfolds. I think he might do well.

1 Like
5 Likes

Lovely to see the English getting all bothered over the fact that he’s German and not the fact that he’s choleric dogshit. Curtis Woodhouse (BEM, mind you) says he’d rather see England out in the group stages with Southgate than see England win with Tuchel - as if that’s the offer on the table.

Tuchel is a fucking dream appointment for anybody and everybody that likes to laugh at the English.

4 Likes

Honestly, I’m intrigued by this prospect just because of the usual canard about top club managers and international management and all that.

Could be the dumpster fire everyone is hoping for, or it could be revolutionary for England. I suspect that either way the narratives have already been written, and what actually happens will matter little.

1 Like

Don’t know, but might be the perfect job for him. He can be tactically pragmatic and the nature of the job means there might not be enough time spend with the humans involved to get on their nerves enough. Just keep him out of base camp pre-tournament and they might be fine.

2 Likes

England have enough good players that they will give enough reasons for optimism with anyone as manager. They also have enough weaknesses that when it comes to tournament football they are going to need an awful amount of luck for it to come out in their favour.

It’s basically the perfect set of ingredients for Tuchel to initially win over sections of the fan base currently unhappy about the appointment only for him to be kicked out in a wave of xenophobic vitriol once Maguire scores a last minute own goal against Pickford to lose a semi final

2 Likes

What would Diana have made of the FA’s Teutonic Treachery? :joy:

2 Likes