Euro 2020 Archive Thread

Which is surely the reason we watch football. There is always the chance.

24 posts. Nothing about football, yet. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Nil desperandum carburundum illegitami

:wink:

I thought the expression was: Illegitimi non carborundum :thinking:

Or was it: excreta tauri cerebrum vincit? :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Is that some kind of global warming thing?

I just can’t wait until proper football returns. All this being expected to support a bunch of Man U, Man C, Chelsea players, and Harry Kane, is doing my head in.

10 Likes

1 Like

Sodomy non sapiens?

TSN co-hosts discussion on the up-coming Euro 2020 Final, including Canadian Press/AP article on strength & weakness.

Missing from the video was another discussion on how much they believed Hendo would dictate the middle of the park against Italy, but Southgate would be conservative on his approach and stayed with his original/previous choice of XI.

2 Likes

If Hendo plays a significant part of the game then England win. I just can’t help being supportive for any LFC connection to a major tournament win.

I felt “it’s coming home” should always be said in a sarcastic tone.

Anyhow one off final, I put my money on Italy before the tournament but two tournament predictions in a row for me would be unique.

2 Likes

With the greatest respect, hope you lose :wink:

1 Like

At this point I want England to win it for Henderson more than anything but also because the Italian (and Spanish) gamesmanship is utterly detestable.

That said, Italy is the better side and should come out victorious. England have their chances though, albeit it’s impossible to see how they overcome Prickford. A nervous wreck that can’t kick for shit with short arms and bad positioning. The Italians are going to press him mercilessly and he looks certain to fuck up. Another interesting point is to see how Southgate deals with Verratti, Jorginho and Barella. If he goes with his usual duo of Phillips and Rice with Mount or someone else helping out, there is going to be a massacre. If he has any sense, he’ll use 3 pure midfielders with Henderson getting the start but that remains to be seen.

It will be entertaining, that’s for sure.

Offended no, disappointed yes. England fans used to at least respect the national anthem of their opponent. But then again they have a long tradition of behaving like dickheads especially away from home so I suppose it was only a matter of time.

3 Likes

Missed all the diving from Kane and the little … ? It is all over football these days. When Kane or Grealish does it it is called winning a free kick/penalty when Salah or Mané do it it is called diving. To me, it is all the same: diving.

7 Likes

Shouldn’t it be: Sodomiticum non sapiens? :thinking:

Anyway, non torsii subligarium ! :flushed:

1 Like

No I haven’t missed it, but it’s not comparable to what the Italians and the Spaniards are capable of doing.

3 Likes

When Mané does it he’s literally been rugby tackled. :cry:

1 Like

Ashley Young was comparable, wasn’t he?

Every time England play against Scotland, Wales or Ireland their national anthem gets routinely booed. Germany fans were incredibly loud in doing it in a friendly back in 2016, it’s the same when they go away pretty much anywhere in Europe. It happens all the time in South American football. I’m pretty sure there was booing during both the anthems in the other semi final. Fans come to our ground all the time and attempt to boo and drown out the sound of YNWA. I really don’t see it as much more than an attempt to unsettle the opposition and drown out their fans.

2 Likes

I disagree Kane alone thinks the penalty area is like a swimming pool where he can dive in as much as he likes but you are entitled to your opinion.

This is not true. I am a staunch Remainer, (although I accepted Brexit is here to stay…for some while and I hate that opportunist Nigel Farage for creating divisions in our country), I hate Boris and his WHOLE cabinet. Covid deaths in the UK are all on his watch.

I will still support England. As soon as the boys wear the country’s shirt, I am not looking at what club they play for. This group of players play football for their country with sincerity, compassion, hope and determination. They need our support, at least we can do is cheer and sing them on over the line, if the footballing gods allow it.

@Hope.in.your.heart
Also, with regards to the song by Baddiel and Skinner. I read the lyrics more than a 100 times over the years. Its a rather whimsical song with a hint of sad nostalgia of yearning for something in my opinion.
It does not imply that football belongs to us only. There is a much deeper meaning to it and the lyrics are quite clever. It is what the fans are feeling and what it is like to be an England fan. We have this feeling of hope, failure and resignation of losing all the time. The media build up our hopes up too much, then we blow it way, we are always nearly there, but then fall at the last hurdle. However, the fans loved to keep dreaming of success, even though we don’t quite reach the goal of success, if that makes sense.

7 Likes