Euro 2020 Archive Thread

For those watching the match in the UK. Make sure you buy your snacks, beverages early because, the local Sainsbury shop assistant told me, many shops are closing early so their employees can get home in time to watch the match tomorrow.

2 Likes

I bow most humbly to your greater age :wink:

1 Like

Feel abit teary eyed seeing this :cry:

1 Like

I hope we win so we can stop banging on about 19 fucking 66 :rofl:

2 Likes

Agree with first half of this sentence, but the second is surely tongue in cheek? England the only team that got to final by cheating. Kane is the biggest diver at the Euros and the PL, and it never gets called out by the English media

6 Likes

Think some people would benefit from reading this article:

3 Likes

:thinking:

3 Likes

“It’s swarming home…”

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s pocket xenophobia again. Kane, Sterling etc is playing it clever and smart innit. Not like those foreigners you know, they really cheat and fall around.

2 Likes

Italy are the opponents
They could cause England problems for sure,
Some even hope they can win it
Cause England fans can be a bore
Obviously I hope England do it
Most people I know do agree
I hope they hold back on the booing
Nothing wrong with taking the knee
Gareth is looking for redemption
His chance to make up for the past
Only a victory can do it
Maybe they’ll do it at last?
European Champions 2021!

5 Likes

3 Likes

Never had a problem with that song, even thought the video was kinda funny, as do most Germans I know

Edit: Hadn’t even seen KeillRandor’s post yet

1 Like
1 Like

All together now, even the ones who say ’ anyone but England’. For the love of the beautiful game.

https://youtu.be/6yHxzDfL3RM

1 Like

Agree on Kane and the English press but my comment was a general one. See how the Italians managed their games with Belgium and Spain with dives, fake injuries, cynical fouls and doing everything in their power to kill off the game and watch how the England players lost their heads against the Danes in the second half of extra time.

We all know that Kane and Sterling dive but there’s more to gamesmanship than just diving and the Italians and the Latin countries in general are experts at it. There is a reason why there are so many groans when we are drawn with Italian and Spanish teams in Europe regardless of their strength.

Yes, the noble, honest Englishmen against the nasty, cheating foreigners :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Have to say Italy Teams have been worse in the past with the ‚antics’ (dives, fake injuries, cynical fouls and doing everything in their power to kill off the game) and when Spain have been dominating football between 2007 and 2014 they were almost without ‘antics’.

1 Like

That’s not what I am saying but whatever.

Inclined to agree with @RedArmada. I’m from grey old Swansea myself and I support Wales, but my lineage is fucking vibrant, owing to my grandfather working as a docker in Argentina and later Spain, so I certainly have no pro-England bias, but I do see a cultural difference in England’s ‘gamesmanship’ compared to other countries, particularly South American nations and Italy (not to say it’s more palatable).
Jorge Valdano talks about this difference in his book Sueños de fútbol (highly recommended, if anyone can find it in English; it was translated, but it’s been long out of print). He tells a story of when he was a junior player for Newell’s, and the coaching team sets up a cross country challenge for the entire squad. All of the younger players set off into the distance, leaving the senior players in their wake, only for the senior players to speed past them near the finishing line, hanging out the window of a taxi with crates full of beers. Far from being punished, the senior players were applauded by the coaching staff for their initiative and ingenuity.

2 Likes

How do people think England will line up? Revert to the back 3 like they often do against stronger opposition, or continue with the 4231/433 shape? Will be interesting to see who gets the nod on the right side in attack.