Euro 2020 Archive Thread

I expect Southgate will go back to Rice.

They could be France or Germany and it’s likely to be Germany so that’s something to forward to all week (not)

1 Like

It touched one of their players before it got to Hendo who tried to explain this to the ref but in vain

It could also be Portugal if they beat France

Huh, f*ck knows how Croatia have qualified as second from this group.

Deserved win today, although Scotland had some good chances. I think twice, Adams and McGinn, should’ve went with their heads and it could’ve been two goals. Croatia for a good few years now are not good at defending set-pieces/crosses/second balls afterwards.

Amazing goal by Modric, goal of the tournament so far. Arguably the best outside of a foot in world football, he’s brilliant at that.

Dalic is experimenting a lot, we’ll see who they get from group E. I predict the realistic result for Croatia is to get knocked out in R16 or QF and that’s it.

4 Likes

My guess they will get Spain

Now have a good rest Robertson, at least 4 weeks. :+1:

3 Likes

Hendo can only be onside there if the Croatian deliberately played him the ball, defined as purposefully kicking the ball and not just coming off him in an attempt to make a tackle or block. The picture wasnt clear to me, but if Bellingham got anything at all on that tackle then Hendo is offside even if the Croatian player got the first touch (meaning the ball went forward from Bellingham) or it nicked off him after Bellingham made the tackle (not a deliberate attempt to play the ball).

1 Like

Rice should return for sure, but Phillips’ spot is the one Hendo will probably view as his opportunity to get back in. We’ll see what happens.

1 Like

I assume France will get at least a point against Portugal.

Could get Jota back tomorrow as well if France turn on the style.

1 Like

Downside is that Mbappé won’t get as much rest.

1 Like

Got up at 5 to catch the 2nd half of the England game. Valuable sleep time lost. Being unconscious would’ve been more stimulating.
England: The international Burnley (nicked that off somebody in the Guardian btl.)

1 Like

Paul Lambert was interviewed yesterday before the Scotland game. These are his words, “ Modric is not the player he was”.
Oops!

3 Likes

Someone above suggested England are the Burnley of the tournament.

Maybe then Scotland are the Everton of the tournament. They only put in a performance when they face one particular opponent.

5 Likes

Unfortunately, while Henderson is good, he is not the kind of player that can carry the team, due to certain limitations in his football abilities.

There is some truth in that, although the Scots are more likeable. Their jubilation at gaining a 0-0 against a pretty poor England team managed by a nincompoop, was embarrassing though. They don’t seem to realise that the more they celebrate results like that, the more it cements the English sense of superiority and makes them look pathetic.

1 Like

Outside of Brazil and Argentina in bygone eras, not many teams have gone to an international tournament and won it playing free flowing attacking football, particularly nations from Europe. International football has generally been conservative and boring to watch for years. Greece were awful to watch in 2004 and I don’t think any World Cup or Euros has been won by a team since then that was particularly exciting to watch and in a number of those tournaments the eventual winners have been really poor in the group stage.

That being said, I still think England have no chance. Purely because there are other teams that will be better at managing those cagey games and will be less likely to shit the bed when the big knockout occasion comes.

I dont think that is particularly accurate, but maybe an issue of perception/views on what constitutes attacking football.

People might not have liked the football Italy or Spain played in 06 and 10, but they both played front foot football and tried to take the game to their opponents in their own way and think both were generally considered worthy winners. I dont think you have to be Keeganesque and play irresponsible football to justify not being labelled as being conservative. Germany likewise but even more so, absolutely smashing both Portugal and Brazil on the way to winning it.

The Euros in that time frame were dominated by Spain, and I think they were even more dominant in those wins than I described in their world cup win. Again, people might not have enjoyed the football, but it was some of the most dominating proactive football every played on the international stage. It’s not entirely their fault their games turned into such terrible spectacles with other teams deciding from autumn 2008 on that the only way to compete against them was to put 11 man behind the ball and try to nick something on a set piece or counter.

Portugal were dog shit though.

Like an ugly guy with a big cock.

Big cock being Ronaldo.

1 Like

Is the DVD in the shops yet?

3 Likes