Euro 2020 Archive Thread

Don’t we know it! Thankfully we got 3rd place anyway.

1 Like

its just typical Scotland,
we hype ourselves up,
then fall flat on our face,
seen it countless times.

4 Likes

The unearthly second goal is from the longest distance anyone has ever scored since Opta began to to meassure such things in 1980; and came seconds after the turn over. I would be very careful to be too hard on the keeper there, who was clearly expecting a potential run on goal.

1 Like

Exactly what England do too! Scotland do it better though, I’ll give you that :crazy_face:

Really? Goals have been scored from their own half. Xabi Alonso scored 2.

3 Likes

This is the same in Norway too ! The media always seem to think that we will get to the WC or Euro, but we haven’t since Egil Olsen ran the team in the 90’s and we had Ole Gunnar Solkjær, Øyvind Leonardsen, Erik Thorstvedt, Kjetil Rekdal, Erik Mykland (the magician who was so good on the ball, but smoked heaps of cigarettes and trained less than the rest, caring only about living life), Tore Andre Flo, Jostein Flo and Stig Inge Ingebrigtsen. We were an incredibly difficult team to meet, ranked 4 on the FIFA ranking and could beat Brazil and Italy back in those days, even though we had very limited tactics (but those tactics made the very best out of our limited players). At a time, we were second on the FIFA ranking those days.

It’s beginning to be a long time since the 90’s and the massive celebrations when we beat Brazil and the like.

1 Like

Scotland do well to qualify, it’s not even in the same ball park, is it? :crazy_face:

1 Like

My apologies, you are undoubtedly right. What I read, must have surely been in Euro history instead of general football history (alternative is that the journalist talking about Opta is lying, which would be a bit bizarre).

3 Likes

Or the journalist was just mistaken. That would be a first eh? And very poor.

Us Scots just build ourselves up to qualify for the next round!
something we have never done before in any tournament!

The English media make us Scots laugh,
every tournament its the same, this is England golden generation MK16,
its our year, its been too long blah blah blah.

Then when they get knocked out (on pens is best), its like how did that happen?
this is our golden generation MK16.

5 Likes

A very quick google search revealed that it was like I thought above. Longest in the Euro, not in general and so on :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wtf is that goalkeeper doing? :rofl:

5 Likes

It is a very funny photo for sure ! :smiley:

According to ITV, the keeper was 33 yards off his line when the ball broke to Schick. What the fuck is he doing so far out? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

the next person who posts images, or even talks about that goal gets reported!

I am not in the mood! :frowning:

3 Likes

My bet is picking his nose. If it were Ali he’d just be warming up to make a spectacular save, giving the striker a chance in a million. :wink:

As I said at the time, terrible goalkeeping. Good finish from Schick but really poor from the keeper.

Yeah, after further consideration, I got to agree with @1972 that he was too far out, even though I would maybe not lambast him too much myself.
Obviously, playing sweeper but in hindsight, perhaps he is too slow to react.
He was probably preparing to run out and make himself too big.
At the moment of transition, Scotland was pushing with everyone, so the entire team was high up the pitch. I would not victimize him for it, most keeper mistakes are worse than this even though they usually don’t end up in a goal.

That would probably be “Mega schick” or “Ultra schick” :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

I guess what I mean by this, is that the guy who messed up offensively big time, creating the transition, gets far less criticism than David Marshall. Imo enough that he looks like a fool running backwards to save an unsavable (from his position) shot, he doesn’t need to be pinpointed for the blame really. I mean, what about the guy taking a shot that gets blocked from a bad position ? Awful decision. Shot needs to be nigh perfect to go in, block creates a moment of surprise and ball goes directly to Schick, who then immediately takes a shot on goal. There wasn’t that much time in the situation really.