Euro 2020 Archive Thread

Been to Essex lately?

1 Like

The Czechs deserved the victory. :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

No, but I’m curious. Why?

Just only a very slight generalisation but they like to paint themselves in orange.

Hawaiian bronze innit!!! On a glove or in a tube.

1 Like

There are enough reasons to criticise the use of VAR, but that game showed its good side. I don’t think that would have been a red card without it, but the ability to slow down the action and use a variety of camera angles means it gets caught. Players have to realise that they aren’t going to be able to hide.

2 Likes

They have to get past Denmark first.

1 Like

Yeah to me it was the right decision and it showed the reasons VAR should be used.

No Liverpool players, don’t care.

1 Like

I told you guys that those rappers and the criminal were shit. Believe me next time. :sunglasses:

Was weak on my part but still not as bad as my putting Grealish in a West Ham jersey.

2 Likes

That was an absolute abysmal performance from the Dutch in spite of the red card. Gini was hugely influential and brilliant for them in the group stages but unfortunately tonight was a mere bystander, only 26 touches and 10 completed passes in the entire game. 0 chances created and shots as well. Yikes.

2 Likes

Yip, that was the “I don’t care if he doesn’t sign extension” version of Gini.

3 Likes

A fun result. Denmark now looking like mild favorites for the quarter finals. But only mildly so.

De Ligt can be a cumbersome footballer. He often seems to find himself scrambling, scrabbling, grabbing shirts. With 54 minutes gone Patrik Schick wriggled around him as the ball was played through. De Ligt stumbled, slipped, then couldn’t turn quickly enough.

It was there, laid out in those individual shutter frames, that De Ligt sensed the moment getting away from him. Thighs pumping, hands scrambling for a hold, he fell on the ball, hooking it with his arm.

De Ligt left the pitch distraught. For a £67m defender, he has such an obvious weakness in his basic athleticism, a footballer who looks utterly commanding, as long as you don’t ask him to turn around very quickly.

Ouch.

5 Likes

Idiotic tactics by the Netherlands Coach. Gini was marked out of the game totally.

Could have moved Gini into the withdrawn midfield role and added some spine to the midfield which was allowing the Czechs too much space to dictate terms. He might score more goals for the Netherlands playing as a attacking midfielder but for a winning team , his strengths are better utilized in the middle of the pitch.

No elite defender would allow himself to be in the position that De Ligt found himself in. Stay on your legs and force Schlick wide , De Ligt isn’t Elite.

2 Likes

He was really poor as were the rest of his teammates. But this was down to De Boer being outclassed tactically by Silhavy. It was clear from the beginning that the Dutch setup and tactics weren’t working and De Boer completely failed to make any meaningful changes.

Malen missing that one on one without even taking a shot didn’t help either.

2 Likes

Wijnaldum did one of his diapering tricks we all know so well especially in away matches, guess what, The Netherlands played away.

Btw, when will he tell the real reason why he left Liverpool as he promised?

De Ligt (only 21) normally plays with “the professor” or van Dijk on his side, both great personality’s and experience defenders who lead the defense. At this moment they are asking that from de Ligt who is not ready for that role, give it time.

Saw post match interview with De Ligt where he took the blame for getting sent off and eventually losing the match. He’s still young and he shows maturity. He’s not the main reason the Dutch lost: the Dutch need the trio of De Jong, Gini and Depay to click and none of these 3 did anything yesterday. The stats also shows only 6 shots and none on target compared to the Czech who had 12 shots and 5 on target.
The right result and Czech deservedly through to the next round

2 Likes