Euro 2020 Archive Thread

That’s interesting, because I think it’s a great example of how warped a perspective it can create by concentrating on slow mo and freeze frame. There is no doubt it was deliberate. The question is, had he not done it, would the Czech have been to get by the falling dutch player, get control of the ball and shoot before the covering Dutch players got back. Possibly, but by no means certain, and I think watching it real time you are way closer to no than when you simply look at where the dutch players are at the time De Ligt handles it.

Prior to the sending off I thought the Dutch looked decent. Their response to it was utterly awful though, almost like they didn’t believe they could win any longer.

My missus has watched a good number of games with me and it’s fascinating watching it with someone who knows absolutely nothing about football (other than she loves Klopp, the “smiling guy” and Mane). She hadnt been playing much attention prior to the sending but afterwards was all up in my shit trying to understand why I’d been so positive about the Dutch being the better team.

1 Like

His transfer fee signifies that he’s among the elite bunch of defenders. Not that he won’t improve , but at this point of time , No defender worth anything will ever go to ground when a forward attempts to run behind him.

The starting lineup for Netherlands should be VVd , DeVrij assuming that they ditch the 3 Man CB experiment.

A reminder: transfer fees are no guarantee of quality.

6 Likes

should have added a disclaimer here stating excluding slabhead

5 Likes

It’s been a slow burn of a tournament for Spain so far – and that might ultimately play to their advantage. It’s much better to stutter early on and quietly build momentum. Croatia hasn’t been any impressive either. The match will probably be decided by whichever role Morata assumes; prolific or profligate.

Start Thiago, win, play from bench, lose.

Has-beens reunion

Tough task today.

We’re not without a chance, but this should prove to be too much for Croatia, I expect Spain to do the job.

Perisic is positive on Corona, so he’s out. Rebic will most probably replace him on that left side. Caleta-Car likely to come in for the suspended Lovren (and then the CB’s will change side). Remains to be seen if there are some changes in full back positions; Vrsaljko back in for Juranovic and Barisic back in for Gvardiol. Maybe one of two, Vrsaljko more likely than Barisic.

Hopefully Croatia can cause Spain some issues in forward transitions and off the ball. Spain found a bit of their scoring mojo in the last game. And Morata with all those misses… he’s due a goal or two. Maybe it’s exactly today.

2 Likes

Spain probably have scored their one good game already with those 5 goals. I doubt they’ll be any threat to the croatian defense (even if it’s without the self professed GOAT)

Enrique not picking Aspas and Paco Alcacer is going to come back and bite him bigtime. Both are more reliable goal scorers than Morata.

What?!! Wow.

That’s embarrassing from Spain. Total lack of concentration.

2 Likes

Own goals increasing in quality

3 Likes

Oh my God, another own goal

Hilarious

1 Like

Bwahaha what a goal. :joy:

That’s what happens when you don’t have Thiago starting. Horrible 1 bounce back pass, and horrible control.

1 Like

I thought De Gea was in goal for Spain, when I saw the own goal.

2 Likes

Comeuppance for the freaking tiki taka.

I was about to fall asleep when the loud shouting of the commentator woke me up.

2 Likes

There’s going to be some lovely compilations of this tournament, likely set to Benny Hill theme

1 Like

Considering Spain are struggling to score I think Thiago is coming home.

Basically Hendo (and Shaq) left if that happens.