Euro 2020 Archive Thread

Lot’s of people are saying that France is going to win it, I’m pretty sure the Italians love to hear that.

2 Likes

Italy :it: must be one of the tournament favourites to win it.

1 Like

Nah, they just fell upon two incredibly weak teams. They’ll need to prove their worth against tougher opposition.

I bet France are full of confidence, but they might want to get themselves a second place in their group and take their chances with the winner of England’s group and thereby get on the other side of the draw from the Italians.

True, but playing yourself into form in the group stage against weaker opposition is basically optimal.
They look incredibly strong though. Will be exciting to see how they will do against one of the bigger teams !

1 Like

I’ve really enjoyed watching Italy so far. Impressed with their passing and energy, and as always there’s a high collective football iq in the team. I don’t watch much Serie A anymore, so a few of their players are unknown to me.

Spinazzola and Locatelli have really caught the eye so far. Locatelli plays some brilliant passes through the lines, seems to have great vision. He put Turkey on the back foot for the 1-0 goal with a lovely ball, and his pass to Berardi for the first goal today was just brilliant.

1 Like

At least your goalie is the bees… :wink:

1 Like

Yeah I’ve enjoyed their football too. Their enthusiasm and cohesion is impressive, and they play some really good football. They’ll still need to prove that they have what it takes against strong teams, but it’s an encouraging start for them.

Yeaahhh! :laughing:

How does it compare to that feeling when you’re on the next plane home? :thinking:

4 Likes

Another one who turned out to be a little bit overhyped/overrated.

Left footed player, LB, fancy name, had some seasons with some numbers (which then creates the idea that he must be a good offensive LB), maybe had good stats at FM or similar games… and it goes through the roof, without people even watching him play possibly.

He’s now 28-29, what should be peak years, but he can’t get to 20 games at Torino, used between LWB and LCB in a back 3.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thought that Xhaka was absolutely useless?

On the whole, it seemed like none of the Swiss players really wanted to be there apart from Embolo, but Xhaka was a complete waste of space, and I’m frankly surprised that (a) he cost Arsenal so much, and (b) he was kept on for the whole match.

image vs image

Belgium

Ten wins out of 10. Forty goals scored, three conceded. Qualification for the Euros was a pretty easy ride for Belguim in a group with Russia and Scotland as the main opponents. Tactics haven’t changed much over the past few years. It’s easy to predict Belgium’s lineup when everybody is fit. In the 26-man squad, there are barely any newcomers.

Belgium will play the same 3-4-3 system they have been using for the past five years under Roberto Martínez with one more defensive-minded wing-back on the right and an attacking midfielder in that role on the left.

Russia

Russia reached the quarter-finals of the 2018 World Cup on home soil but it was clear afterwards the squad needed rebuilding. The goalkeeper and captain, Igor Akinfeev, veteran centre-back Sergei Ignashevich and winger Aleksandr Samedov were three of the players who stepped down.

Three years later, it is indicative of the team’s fortunes that a major talking point has been whether Akinfeev would return for the Euros. Cherchesov had initially hopedLokomotiv Moscow’s Brazil-born Guilherme Marinato would fill the gap but he was substituted at half-time in a Nations League game against Serbia after conceding four goals and has not made the squad. The Dynamo Moscow captain, Anton Shunin, is set to start.

Defence is also a problem. Cherchesov has some talented but inexperienced centre-backs at his disposal in Igor Diveyev and Roman Yevgenyev, but no real alternatives to Spartak Moscow’s Georgi Dzhikiya and Akhmat Grozny’s Andrei Semyonov in the starting XI.

Russia are well-stocked in central midfield – there are several defensive, box-to-box and playmaker options – but have slimmer pickings on the wings.

Cherchesov is a man of many formations – in the recent World Cup qualifiers against Malta, Slovenia and Slovakia he used 4-2-3-1, 4-4-1-1, 3-5-1-1, 4-3-1-2 and 3-4-2-1 – his starting setups are often difficult to predict but there is no doubt he believes in himself and the team.

Euro 2020 team guides part 8: Russia | Russia | The Guardian

1 Like

De Bruyne is not expected to be in this match vs Russia due to the injury he suffered during the CL match.

Heard that not only Kevin, but Rudiger will also have to play with a mask.

After the earlier shit-show of this afternoon, maybe this is one to enjoy tonight. I expect Belgium to march through quite easily to be fair.

2 Likes

Is this happening? Probably a good thing these things aren’t taking place in the same country after all.

1 Like

I don’t think I can watch more football tonight no matter how good teams are.
I had a very bad experience when I saw Eriksen’s eyes; a flashback scene from my memory. I have become more and more aware that following wars closely, well, I think I have to stop for my own mental hygiene. I feel a bit empty now after being suddenly very happy to realise that Eriksen was actually alive and not dead like I thought.

I think I am just going to empty my head with a strategy game instead.

I hope you get a good experience watching and that it is some what entertaining. Good night to you all, I need to empty my head and fill it with something entirely different.

2 Likes

Take care, my friend.

1 Like