Euro 2020 Archive Thread

Not sure we have any Italian fans on the forum…
If we do then this is for you

2 Likes

It will probably be too much for them, but I find you too harsh. I think Wales played proper football, a fun direct style. You have to play to your strength and ability and I think it is unreasonable to expect Wales to equal the skills of teams like Italy in all positions on the pitch. You can still play well, indeed also entertain like Wales showed, with a team consisting of less than stellar footballers (as long as you have a couple of great footballers in the team, because let us be honest, without Bale’s passes, Turkey may have got a draw).
I have found a lot of entertainment in this competition and my only real great disappointment, has been the lackluster effectiveness of Germany as well as the surprising weakness of Turkey. Switzerland has also disappointed some what, but I think that’s it (for me).
But Wales impressed me a lot today.

What a strike Locatelli 2-0.

1 Like

Haha, the Swiss caught out on Italy’s first attack of the half. Nice strike. Horrible defending again.

2 Likes

Swiss midfield is very poor tonight.

1 Like

That France - Italy semi final that looks nailed on is going to be a cracker.

2 Likes

They simply move too slowly and can’t follow Italy’s passes and movements.
I am sorry, but I have seen your national team better than what they have shown so far in this tournament.

2 Likes

fixed it for you… :wink:

2 Likes

They are plonkers these days, and completely unworthy of being in such a tournament. They’ll probably get trounced by Turkey too.

Yeah, maybe. But Turkey has been the greatest disappointment so far and it is quite possible they will continue to disappoint. Their technical ability isn’t lacking in theory (for Euro level), but they have been abysmal as a team.

Locatelli MoM by a country mile.

I haven’t looked at how the draw works out but it’s a pity that isn’t going to be the final.

Not only have they been the two most impressive teams so far (admittedly it is very early days) but the 2006 subplot would add an extra dimension.

1 Like

So sad to see 2 Swiss players run, trying to enact a counter, then the guy with the ball stalls and some other white shirts lumbers forward in a grandfatherly pace. How can you even hope to counter then ? I won’t even blame the guy with the ball (didn’t notice who it was), because the reason he stalled, was obviously because the rest of the Swiss midfield formation just slowly walked forward, so if he played the ball; they would lose all balance and sense of formation.

A snip at €35m on Transfermarkt…

1 Like

If they both come first in their groups they play in the first semi-final.

1 Like

This is how Portugal magically became Euro champions in 2016 despite being far from the best team in the competition aka better teams (apart from France, which they actually faced in the final) meeting each other.

1 Like

That’s two poor, and very similar, misses from Immobile. I wonder if his ineptitude is going to cost Italy dear later on in the tournament.

3 Likes

Italy 3-0 , Immobile.

1 Like

Shocking goalkeeping.

2 Likes

6-0 in 2 matches.

1 Like