Eurovision-Liverpool-13th May 20:00 hrs GMT 2023

Moldova number one? Just watched a bit… Must’ve been a heck of a party…

2 Likes

We definitely favour unique/interesting/fun songs over ballads or Europop.

1 Like

Weirdly this sounds like Europop to me. But then I don’t know really what that is anyway.

Yeah I hated it, and I’m not lookig forward to having to see him/hear his song again this year as they now doubt will have him in there.

I prefer not to listen to the songs before the actual competition, so no idea how good/bad anything is this year.

Just been listening to the snippets from all songs:

the ones that appealed on an immediate listen were:

Australia, Azerbaijan, Czechia, Finland, Italy, Moldova, Norway, Spain, Sweden,

Spain very unusual - sounds folky with a sort of Kraftwerk-type backing.
I think the Finnish one reminds me of the Rammstein track Sehnsucht.

If my usual preferences are anything to go by a few of those will taking an early flight from John Lennon Airport!

1 Like

I left school in 1976. I’m not sure what’s on the curriculum nowadays? But, back then the teaching was that Australia was not in Europe. :thinking::nerd_face:

4 Likes

Did they not teach you about continental drift?

Israel isn’t in Europe either. The qualification for Eurovision is being a member of the European Broadcasting Union which also includes a fair few places in North Africa, Australia are associate members of the EBU but they were invited to participate to mark the 60th anniversary of the competition. I believe this year is the last one that they are scheduled to participate in.

I had a listen them all RedWhippet, cheers for the video. :+1:t2:

My first impressions which got my attention and ear were the following:

Azerbaijan - a nice solid indie- rock song with nice lyrics and a good melody.

Belgium- a lovely pop-dance song, this one would definitely get me off my seat onto the dancefloor.

Croatia- :see_no_evil: :joy: :rofl: They all look bonkers and the video is crazy. I do like it though, the song is quite melodious and some of the words are quite catchy, I could mumble along and wave my hands to this one. I can see this one as a potential winner due to the bizarre novelty of the video.

Finland- Video is mad, but the song and lyrics are quite catchy and you can dance up and down to this one. This one could be a winner or go high up on the scoreboard.

Germany - This song reminded me of Nikola’s kind of music, when the singer screams into the microphone :smiley:. Not sure if it is a winner, but could do well. Not sure what genre it fits in, punk, metal, goth?

Italy- :heart: :heart_eyes: Nice heartfelt pop,reminds me of Italian George Michael, hope he wins, he sings from the heart.

Latvia- reminds me of the indie pop of the 1990s, not the main bands, smaller groups on the fringes , eg Geneva, with indie pop ditties.

Moldova - I really like this one, dancy, pop-traditional folk fusion, abit different from the usual pop and rock. I can see this one being a potential winner as well.

Netherlands- not bad, abit meh, but I do like it, it could grow on me.

Poland- good melody, abit hypnotic, one of those songs which you are not too keen, but sticks in your head.

Portugal- nice mix of modern and folk, but not enough to do well.

Romania - Nice indie- rock ballad. I didn’t understand the point of those two scantily clad women dancing round the chairs :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Slovenia- I like this one, very dancy with a lovely gitar riff.

Spain- abit unusual, I like the way they fused tarditional flamenco music withe elelctronic dance music.

Sweden- Always make an effort in making well crafted pop songs, this one is carrying on the good work.

Switzerland- I like the lyrics of this song, a song with a conscience. I hope it does well.

Ukraine- It is nice, I like the way they brought in abit of classical elements in this electronic dance pop. Not sure if it will win though.

UK- :grimacing: errr no, didn’t really catch my ear. I can’t see this one doing well

1 Like

Having worked there for 10 years, purely out of sentiment, I’ve just put a fiver on a top 5 finish at 100/1

3 Likes

That’s interesting - was it an oil job?

Oddly enough my wife is looking after an Azerbaijani-German child today.

Sort of.
Gas

Didn’t she win it back in…2016?

Euphoria…I quite like that song, very upbeat.

Take it you’ve not heard the song then.

Won it in 2012

That long ago :astonished:

Mamma mia where does the time go.

Did you hear the Dutch, according to the missus the bloke is singing out of tune all the time. Will not make it to the finals. :sunglasses:

This one?

It’s OK. I think the bit at the beginning doesn’t actually use Autotune which tends to throw people these days.

I’ll take your word for it, can’t be bothered with that shite … :joy:

2 Likes

OK, so the first semi-final is on at 20:00 BST / 21:00 CEST tonight. It’s on BBC One in the UK and One channel for those of us in Germany. The schedule is as follows:

# Country Singer Song
1 Norway Alessandra Queen of Kings
2 Malta The Busker Dance (Our Own Party)
3 Serbia Luke Black Samo mi se spava (Само ми се спава)
4 Latvia Sudden Lights Aijā
5 Portugal Mimicat Ai coração
6 Ireland Wild Youth We Are One
7 Croatia Let 3 Mama ŠČ!
8 Switzerland Remo Forrer Watergun
9 Israel Noa Kirel Unicorn
10 Moldova Pasha Parfeni Soarele și luna
11 Sweden Loreen Tattoo
12 Azerbaijan TuralTuranX Tell Me More
13 Czech Republic Vesna My Sister’s Crown
14 Netherlands Mia Nicolai and Dion Cooper Burning Daylight
15 Finland Käärijä Cha Cha Cha

Anyone from those countries plus Germany, France and Italy can vote (but not for your own country). Everybody else gets a go on the second semi-final on Thursday.

I never bother with the voting for the semis It’s 10 out of 15 entries so a bit of a downer for those that don’t make it.

1 Like