Ex-player: Divock ORIGI

At the same time, whether he’s been on limited minutes or starting games, he knows nothing he can do will get him even into the argument for the XI.
I can see him at 15+ at a club where he’s getting the games and the love, but probably not in the Premier League.

That’s just my opinion, the fact Diaz has come in and hit the ground running and played double his minutes shows me Klopp doesn’t rate Origi as a starter but a squad player. If Origi was tearing it up in training why would we have bought Diaz?

3 Likes

I’m not disagreeing that Diaz is the better player, more interestingly, like Jota, he’s got the speed and the acceleration needed to be that Bobby-like pressing machine that we need of our forwards. Origi while fast on a counter-attack, doesn’t seem to get going quite as fast as Diaz, Mané, or Salah. Conversely, Firmino is slower over a longer-distance, but he has the agility to move quickly to force that mistake. Origi’s success with pressing/winning the ball comes mainly from when he already is in a good position to make a Sturridge-style interception of the ball rather than the quick movement that the rest of our forwards employ mainly. By the time he gets to his pressing target, they would have that half a second (or so) more to react and move the all along.

1 Like
3 Likes

I think that can be said for a few players, much more suited to the old transition counter attack game, like Oxlade. We as a team have evolved and the skill set and ability requirements has changed.

Origi is the anti-Rooney. All through his career there was this sense that even with as good as he was, if he could slow down and play more sensibly he’d be even better, but that simply wasnt who he was as a person. Origi on the other hand is someone who pops up with moments while otherwise not being that involved and it makes you think that “if only” he could get involved more, play with more ooomph, he’d be spectacular. But that is just not how it works. You can improve players in discreet areas. You cannot turn them into a different player at odds with their core personality.

With Origi you can very clearly see why at 18 you’d have identified him as a potential star as there was already so much talent, but so many clear areas for improvement as well. I think what we’ve seen is a player who just hasnt those improvements to justify being at a club like liverpool, but started with enough natural talent that he can play at this level and everyone once in a wile does something that makes you think…maybe…

3 Likes

Diaz and jota are small nimble players like what we already have. They could replace like for like any of the missing starting 3.
Divock most of the time he was expected to play like Mane on the left. He would be more useful if we had a proper plan B. Right now we only have a plan A and a plan A.2

3 Likes

i think Origi is better than that, most of his goals/assists recently have not actually come from the counterattacks. He’s also been in a deeper starting position during counterattacks, and ends up being that 3rd/4th player on that counterattack, arriving late on the edge of the box.

He’s literally just not suited for a team that seeks to use every player to win possession/disrupt the opponents’ play, and quickly transition in those tiny spaces after winning the ball high.

3 Likes

I think the club and him need to move on, I wish him all the best and the memories he brought and if we win the title by a point or two or more he will have played his part in that even if he doesn’t play again, though no doubt he will get a few more sub appearances (hopefully if we are comfortable in any games).

1 Like

He is one of those players who when he retires his figures in comparison to Salah (as an example) will be non existent.

However the memories and moments he has provided to supporters will go down in History.

In 100 years Liverpool fans will still be talking about Origi and his 2 goals against Barca, his goals against Everton and his Champions League Final goal.

Legacy

5 Likes

I get all the arguments for him to move on and it does make complete sense for both parties.

Hand on heart though, I don’t want for it to happen. His goal scoring record is far from great but so many of his 40 goals were iconic and absolutely vital. Everton (multiple times) Newcastle, Barcelona, Tottenham in the final. Probably others that I am forgetting. Still only 26.

It won’t happen but if a formula could be found for him to stay on, I would be all for it.

4 Likes

Also, if we were to win the league this season, his goal away to Wolves.

4 Likes

Ye, he doesn’t score many but when he does they are massive massive goals

1 Like

Impossible to score from the bench. :grin::grin::grin:

Frankly, I don’t want him to go just because of his goalscoring knack, and his ability to deliver that under extreme pressure. But, if Jürgen doesn’t use him, then it’s all for naught.

No idea of the validity, but can’t see the benefit of making things up about a fringe player leaving on a free

1 Like

A modern day Fairclough. Not a world beater, but played his role and produced moments and memories that will go down in history.

It’s what playing for Liverpool can afford you.

5 Likes

I really hope the transfer isn’t true… Divock is a legend around Anfield.

3 Likes

He must move on this summer. His contact is up and he needs to be playing football.

5 Likes

I love him but when you love somebody you have to let them go when the time is right. And the time is right. Be great to see him playing regularly somewhere and scoring regularly too.

2 Likes