Ex-player: Neco WILLIAMS

Great, it would have been absolutely unfair if he Euro games.

Did Wilson play last night?

I thought I saw Wilson played as well.

To be honest one of the players who Iā€™m happy is getting some game time

4 Likes

He played CM. According to Page post match, it was a late call (abandoning the 5-2-2-1) to counter Franceā€™s diamond. Make of that what you will. Doubt itā€™s a long term idea, but he did stand out until the red.

Wilson was largely anonymous, but I fucking love the way he swings in a corner.

2 Likes

Sounds like some sort of private club.

2 Likes

Well, he is from Wrexham.

1 Like

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, didnā€™t Neco play on the left side tonight?

Left wing back.

There are some whispers about Neco leaving this summer. Southampton were pretty keen for him in January. If Neco does leave, who would be our backup RB:

1. Milner
  2. Academy
  3. New player
1 Like

Ben the werewolf. :smiley:

1 Like

FIFY! :innocent:

2 Likes

ā€œEnjoying an impressive Euro 2020ā€ā€¦

Gotta love lazy headlines like these, the kid has played 88 minutes at the tournament so far.

5 Likes

At some point a few weeks or months back, we discussed Neco leaving on loan and I suggested that Klopp might view Gomez and Milner as the temporary options for right back, even though I was and I still am firmly against it. James Pearce just published an article where he name-checked Gomez and also mentioned Bradley as an option (too early for him, in my opinion, but weā€™ll see).

I didnā€™t really expect him to become a good player as he didnā€™t impress me at youth level and then he broke into the team, put in some great performances, broke into Welsh team. However, he isnā€™t filling me with confidence just yet. Maybe itā€™s a matter of regular minutes, maybe heā€™ll become a world beater with regular playing time in a good side, so I can see why heā€™d opt to leave and why club wouldnā€™t have problems with it.

It also has to be said, if Academy keeps earning the club money like that from Hoeverā€™s sale and what is suggested for Neco and Wilson, that will be a massive upside for the club. Imagine having a club academy that can actually produce good players, of whom one or two stick with the club every three or four years, while the other contribute some decent minutes and leave for profit, usually to a Championship or PL side.

7 Likes

Pearce is saying 10 mil will be enough, which is less than we want for almost all of our periphery players.

No replacement expected with Gomez and Bradley in line to back up TAA is slightly concerning should Trent go out for an extended period. I imagine Milner would do the job in that case.

Anyone have strong opinions on Bradley? I know nothing about him.

1 Like

Conor Bradley is no less developed than Neco was when he got his chance in the first team. I think heā€™s a good player, was probably the best player in the U23s this season along with Tom Clayton (but Clayton isnā€™t a first team prospect). Heā€™s much quicker than Neco and a similarly talented wing back at youth level. I doubt we would see any significant difference in production between Williams or Bradley being the primary backup RB. Gomez at RB worries me just because I think it takes away almost everything he does well.

For Williams I can see the appeal of moving on, heā€™s never going to play while Trent is fit and he can potentially get a move to Southampton now which is an excellent level (although Walker-Peters is installed as the starter there).

2 Likes

Agree re Gomez he isnā€™t a good RB at all.

1 Like

Iā€™d be very disappointed if Klopp ended up having to stitch teams together like last season. Unless a major tactical change happens, I fail to see how Gomez and Milner could offer something significant to right back position (provided both stay fit), the drop-off is massive and the team simply looks unbalanced.

Iā€™d very much prefer a young attacking right back in the role of an attacking right back but Iā€™m not still not convinced with Bradley, unfortunately, Iā€™m getting the same feeling as with Neco two years ago. That said, Neco exceeded my expectations for the most part when he played and Iā€™ll hope to see the same of Bradley if/when heā€™s picked to deputise.

As a side note, I wonder what are the odds of Brighton selling Lamptey for a huge sum and then replacing him with Neco.

2 Likes

Alternatively, I donā€™t see him starting at Southampton either, so if his options are to stay here and not play, or move and not play at somewhere that doesnt have the in built affection for him for being one of their own, then itā€™s not a great move.

7 Likes

Heā€™s certainly not going to replace Kyle Walker Peters. They have Valery too.

1 Like

No, no, and no. Gomez is at his best at CB and we are pretty thin in that area as well.

Previously I thought Klopp will consider Seep as backup RB since he adapted well in that position, albeit at a much lower level. But with confirmation of Seep leaving on loan thatā€™s no longer an option.

Iā€™m sure Klopp has gone through the options and Iā€™m sure he will not start another season with stich-up options.

Only if they sell Bissouma to us for 25mil :sunglasses: