Ex-player: Sadio MANÉ

Diaz is clearly a replacement for Mane on the left.

We will bring someone in as well.

This day was coming, I’m sure we will be even better.

My concern would be if Diaz is Mane’s replacement, if indeed he leaves. Diaz has been excellent and while he’s only been here since January, I wouldn’t say he’s necessarily prolific in front of goal.

Further the club has seen real benefit in having 5 good options for the front line, something we’ve not had before. Benefits clearly seen when competing on all front.

3 Likes

Yep that’s fair. Most likely will bring in someone if Mane leaves.

I’m not mad, just disappointed, Sadio.

3 Likes
1 Like

Yeah, at some point it has to happen, but I think I’ll be saddest when it’s Sadio. Not because he’s necessarily the best, but because to me it will be the biggest sign of the end of an era. I think he more than any other player represents the change Klopp made to this club, both in terms of the heights he took us to and the way we play and go about our business.

11 Likes

I would have thought the club and player/ representatives would have discussed this prior to this week…

1 Like

The wheels are in motion, it seems. It may be next week or it may be next month, it could be Bayern or it could be Barcelona. But come August, dear Sadio wouldn’t be donning the dear Red.

269 games, 21593 mins, 120 goals, 48 assists, and five major trophies.

The numbers barely do any justice to the colossus he has been. He was the spark that ignited the revolution, the revolution that took us from also runs to the elite. He is the epitome of Klopp vision and Liverpool philosophy. Talented, yet tireless; fierce, yet professional. He gave us his 100% and I hope he feels content too.

He has another five years left in him. While it will pain me immensely to see him in another color, I pray he stays healthy and win many more trophies.

9 Likes

I think the days of a player spending their whole career or the majority of their career at a single club have largely left us.

No resentment to Sadio though, he has never done anything less than fight for this club to be winners and he has achieved everything in terms of trophies.

Good luck to him, lets hope we get some crazy money for him that allows us to buy a suitable replacement/back up.

8 Likes

Leave, stay, extend - whatever.

Most important thing is that this will be sorted before preseason starts.

1 Like

Totally agree. His signing left a lot of fans thinking ‘meh’. Yet, it was ‘That’ first goal that got people believing. It was ‘That’ celebration that got people believing. Despite all the success since his signing, I somehow miss that first (half?) season where seeing our triumvirate ripping teams apart was so fresh.

He’s my favourite player of this side. I’ll be devastated when he leaves, but he has been brilliant for us and I’ll wish him the best of luck when he does go.

I can’t help feel though that if these stories on twitter are true, that it seems a bit odd to see him leave having switched positions and do so well there recently,

10 Likes

The minute we signed Diaz there was always a high probability that it was because we suspected Mane was off. Just did it a window early to make sure we got the man we wanted.

The day was always going to come where that original front three was going to break up. Didn’t think Mane would be the first but to go but it’s understandable. End of an era, end of Klopp team 1.0 but if he’s decided the time is right then so be it.

Now just a case of getting maximum cash and reinvesting it wisely. Diaz, Jota, Carvalho as options for the left, maybe the Mane replacement will actually be a centre forward.

Thanks for everything Sadio, wish you nothing but the best. You’ll always be a legend here.

7 Likes

I’m not sure that’s so much the case as there being a good player whom we wanted, and could actually get.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we didn’t bring in a direct replacement if he does leave either. Note that I said “if”, because I’m not convinced any of these “journalists” know anything from within our club. If there is a good player out there, we go get them, that’s our way forward now I think. Summer transfer window 2020 should have taught people that by now.

£30m and Lewandowski ?

Yeah why not lol

I didn’t want to be Eeyore but as soon as that Pletti guy broke the news, I just knew it was the truth because of my theory that heavily rumoured bad news are always true. I genuinely can’t remember the last time a German sports journalist lied, to put it bluntly, when it came to breaking news regarding top level football clubs. What I do hope was incorrect is the price tag - though I assume it has something to do with us getting Alcantara on the cheap. With one year left on his contract, Mane is a 50 million pounds player outright, that’s not even up for debate.

A lot things worry me here but the first one is his motive, though. This is the first time a first XI player wanted out since Coutinho and it’s been a while since I felt this way. The timing also sucks, the last seven days turned out to be an emotional disaster… I wonder if he thinks that he should have it easier at this age, that he underappreciated at Liverpool or if he thinks “OK, Lewandowski is about to do one to Spain and if I go there, I will be their biggest star, the whole team will work for me, I’ll easily score 30 goals per season and I could play there for the next five years on big wages”.

I’m also extremely worried that we are losing a world class centre forward, formerly a world class winger, and a genuine big game player. During 2022, he’s been our most consistent forward and where Salah and Firmino failed, he carried on. During his career here, he scored against Man United, Everton, Arsenal, Chelsea and is our best scorer against Man City (pretty sure they will be almost as glad to see the back of him as I was when Aguero left). Scored against Real Madrid, scored against Bayern Munich…

I just hope we can get this done quickly and get his replacement in quickly. People say it’s Diaz, Jota and Carvalho and they might be right - Diaz looks at home on the left, Jota should play centrally, Carvalho might be an option on the left. However, with Origi and Minamino going, we’re going to need another player, hopefully of a high calibre and who is a good finisher (this is where Diaz has underwhelmed). I wonder if the club were made aware of this on time and started putting out the feelers already.

This sucks, though, but I’ll grieve later. My favourite player of Klopp’s era is leaving.

12 Likes

Too many throwing their toys out their prams. Mane is a bonafide legend. If he wants to experience something new, then best wishes.

Having said that, if the mooted 30m euros fee of true, then we’d be better off letting him see out his contact.

A full season with Mane, Salah, Bobby, Diaz and Jota is just too good to try to cash in for a pittance.

Plus selling without a written transfer request would probably mean half the fee would go to agents/loyalty bonus, etc.

We know Salah and Mane are competitive. Didn’t get in the way of our success.

4 Likes

I’m here.

2 Likes

They have, and there was chat making the rounds last night at CL the club has known since Christmas. Which could partly explain moving the Diaz timeline up. (Altho the Spurs snipe was a sexier story at the time)

That tweet above and Dominic King’s about Sadio not telling the club yet are facepalm worthy.

1 Like

My heart is in pieces today.

I’m a grown man, with 4 adult children, and my heart feels like it’s in a million pieces today over that match last night and now this Sadio news.

6 Likes

I would label it classless news, which is why I don’t think it’s true, but if it is, it’s 100% classless.

2 Likes