Ex-player: Xherdan SHAQIRI

Well in his case, it’s probably the combination between a bad career choice and body issues. Also, I think he has now improved mentally, probably under the influence of Klopp. As a young player, he wasn’t the most clever around. Always saw himself as the finished product, and got angry against people daring to suggest that he still had things to learn. His brothers, who are his agents too, didn’t always counsel him to best effect in that regard.

Anyway, I think that as a squad player, he has still a lot to offer at this present point in time, but everything will depend on how the club assesses his fitness issues. If they think that they are now behind him, they’ll probably keep him. If not, they’ll try to offload him.

(Agree with you about Origi btw. I love that lad, but I’d rather keep Shaq if there is a choice to make, and if there is a realistic chance of him staying fit).

If I want a sixth attacking player beyond Mane, Bobby, Salah, Takumi and Diogo; it would be Shaqiri. But even the optimist in me is doubtful that he would be available for 15-20 games.

1 Like

There, I fify :wink:

1 Like

His first start in many months. Superb free kick and overall played well. Twisted ankle, bends down to touch it a couple of times.

For most players this would be nothing. But Klopp sees and subs him off. Can’t be trusted with small niggling injuries, unfortunately.

Great to have him off the bench, if fit, but if an offer comes in, need to consider it.

1 Like

Your brace against Utd will always be remembered, as your cross for Gini against Barcelona.

1 Like

I would bet Newcastle and Leeds are interested.

Leeds wanted to sign Cuisance from Bayern but he failed his medical.

Cuisance and Shaqiri not really compareable but maybe Leeds want to spend the money.

I’d rather keep him than that deadman Origi, but maybe there are better offers + he was missing almost the whole of last season to muscle issues.

4 Likes

Hate to see him go, but like @Zoran said I rather see Origi leave but other teams are not blind.

1 Like

I read somewhere it’s Bayer Leverkusen. Not sure about that.

2 Likes

“I can and don’t want to say anything about that; the only thing is that he is not injured and there are no disciplinary reasons [Shaqiri was not involved against Arsenal]. It’s the time of the year where sometimes the manager gets some information, and then I have to react to that. We will see what happens.”

Very cryptic :roll_eyes:. Anyway, Origi and Wilson have given up on even pretending to be trying :angry:.

This could also be Covid striking.

No, there was a specific news about interest in Shaqiri.

Agree that it is the most likely thing.

Who is excited about Shaqs staying? I think it’s fantastic. Will The Boss make him a regular in the matchday squads?

One thing is for certain, with the news of all our boys staying, we will have quality depth and options until the January window.

6 Likes

What about the goalkee…

2 Likes

PUT HIM IN!!! CUBE!!!

1 Like

I like this guy a lot. Aside his fitness problem, he isn’t that consistent either. But he has those odd games where he really turns things around.

I’m happy that he’s staying, at least for another three months, and hope he will be useful. He has the talent, maybe he will put that to good use this time.

1 Like

I’m surprised to be honest. There must have been interest for him as he was withdrawn from the team for the Arsenal game, and to be honest, I’m quite sure that Shaqiri would have brought us that little something which we lacked throughout the game. Withdrawing him meant weakening that team.

Hopefully he’ll stay fit now, fingers crossed, then he’ll be able to help us without a doubt.

1 Like

After a game in which our midfield made about 2 tackle all game and tracked about the same number of runners, I would be surprised if Shaq if the answer to that problem.