FA Cup 2021-22... Hope we are up for the cup this season...forlorn hope?

I remember Michael Charters also. The days when all the League games kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon and wrestling was on World of Sport on ITV at 4pm.

3 Likes

Ahhhh, the days of Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks.

Incidentally, Haystacks would eventually go to the states in the mid 90s and wrestle for WCW under the name “Loch Ness”. He only made a few appearances before he had to go back to England due to illness.

2 Likes

Les Kellet + Mick McManus

Remember driving down the fast lane of the M6 doing about 75mph, when a car came up behind mine from nowhere doing about 100mph… obviously it slowed down for a couple of minutes then flashed its lights for me to move over… which I would have if the rest of the traffic wasn’t travelling about the same speed as me… no one slowing down and as there was a car in front of me I couldn’t even speed up to find a gap… so another minute or so passes and this car behind starts flashing its lights like crazy… wasn’t a cop car or anything so as ya do, I started telling them to go away in short jerky movements using the victory sign with my two fingers… anyway another minute or so and a gap opens up for me to pull over and let this car behind zoom past me to tailgate the next car it comes upto…
As it starts to speed up to go past, it pulls along-side… so again as ya do, ya tell them to do one with the v for victory finger sign… as I look to the guy in the passenger side… he was gesturing for me to pull over on the hard shoulder or at the next services…
Taking a longer look this time mouthing kn*bead at him… Jeeeez, it was only Big Daddy wasn’t it… and his brother who was a referee at the time and similar size was driving… my expression must have give it away that I recognised who it was…
BD seen this then started smiling at me and offered me a thumbs up… The fucker was messing with me…
Needless to say I never stopped at the next services in case he wasn’t messing about, nor the services after that, nor the one after that… nor the one after that… :0))

6 Likes

My father used to run a team of stewards (bouncers) and his guys were the security at the old Liverpool Stadium for the pop concerts and the wrestling. As a student I used to do duties there and saw all those guys. The fake blood was much in evidence :rofl:

My favourite was Les Kellett…a real entertainer

2 Likes

…and Kendo Nagasaki :0)

2 Likes

No fake blood. Those guys really gig themselves in the forehead.

1 Like

wrestlemania iii wrestling GIF by WWE

Not BD but the closest I could find. King Kong Bundy really looked like an egg in a leotard, didn’t he?

2 Likes

They might do now but back in the 60s and 70s it was well known that the blood was fake…I saw it close up…and saw the guys afterwards. They didn’t have a mark on them. The results were fixed too…

Jackie Pallo vs Mick McManus highlights - YouTube

Yeah… those were the days watching wrestling on Sat afternoon TV as a nipper with my grandad :0)

2 Likes

City are playing Peterborough tonight. Bottom of the Championship.

Yeah even Chelsea’s opponents Luton are quite high, it really is typical of them to get that, someone slipped by putting it away mind.

Have you seen Luton. You have to be on drugs to live there :wink:

Meant in the table, I remember passing through once reminded me of Stoke.

I remember back in the day, when TNT used to put out the weekly mag for ex-pats you would always hear people moaning about a lot of the cheap flights at the time going out of/in to Luton, so they tried to do a peice on how to improve Luton.

Most Aussies and Kiwis that responded suggested bombing it

Here’s hoping Peterborough kick the absolute carnt out of Shitty…and also that Cancelo rolls his ankle on a sub-standard pitch.

Is that too much to ask??

3 Likes

Heres hoping for Peterborough, Middlesbrough, and Stoke wins

Middlesbrough Spurs seems the most likely for an upset to me.

Which game is on tv tonight?

City i believe on itv

I’ve checked and borough v spurs on bbc1

City with just one youth player in the squad tonight - 19 year old 3rd choice goalkeeper.