FA Cup 2021-22... Hope we are up for the cup this season...forlorn hope?

I have to say I love the FA Cup.

I remember as a child in the mid 90s the Cup final was brilliant. TV cameras following the teams having breakfast, buses leaving hotels etc.

I’d love us to win it

4 Likes

I do like the FA Cup, but I get put off by the media (i’m looking at you BBC) pushing the old ‘magic of the cup’ angle so much that it becomes a cliché.

Sure when it happens it’s great for the small clubs, but they seem desperate for it to happen so they have a big story to talk about. I’m sure i’ve heard commentators saying players are spoiling the party when they score against a lower club :roll_eyes:

The magic is that it can happen, not that it must happen every single time a prem club is drawn against minnow.

As long as the Prem club is not us I say let it happen every single time :+1:

Doesn’t look like we will be on TV in the UK anyhow.

I would be over the moon.

It’s been so long (2006, right!) since we won this Cup. I want to win it so bad.

2 Likes

Going a bit further back , there used to be a programme on the Friday night too ; “Who’ll Win The Cup ?” and even a review programme on the Sunday , “How The Cup Was Won”.

1 Like

The Anfield game will be at 2pm on Sunday 9 January 2022

2 Likes

FA Cup third and fourth-round replays have been scrapped this season to help with the fixture backlog caused by Covid-19 postponements.

They needed an outbreak of a deadly disease to be sensible.

3 Likes

Liverpool are now believed to be in contact with the FA regarding the upcoming visit of Shrewsbury in the third round of the FA Cup

With a large number of first-team players and staff in isolation, it is likely that the tie, scheduled to be held at Anfield on Sunday, will also be called off.

Klopp could leave isolation before the weekend, as with Alisson, Matip and Firmino, provided they return negative lateral flow tests on the sixth and seventh days.

However, the manager was suffering with mild symptoms, which suggests he is unlikely to.

It does sound like it’s perhaps a couple of days too soon…

From This is Anfield:

Liverpool will be keen to get this game played. If there is any way that it can go ahead, it will be.

I’d pleased that the League Cup tie was postponed, but I’d rather this one went ahead, if we an field a competitive line up (i.e. mostly youth with the odd senior player to help guide).

Hopefully the closing down of the training centre will act as a circuit breaker and stop it spreading around.

The magic of the cup has definitely diminished over the years. As others said earlier in this thread, it was a big day the FA Cup final, back in the day. I’d tune in every year, even when we weren’t in it. Now, I don’t really give a shit.

My fist real memory was the spice boys final in 1996 (I was 12) against United - who can forget those suits. Albeit it was a bad day (fucking Cantona), it lived long in the memory.

The 2001 final was epic too - those two late goals by Owen, a player I adored at the time, but detest these days! But it was a magic day. Then of course there was the Steven Gerrard final against West Ham in 2006 - I missed the first half travelling across London, from Chelmsford over to West london - West Ham fans everywhere causing traffic to stop, me in the car with a jacket covering my Liverpool top on a roasting hot afternoon listening on the radio in the car keeping my head down.

We last made a final in 2012, losing to Chelsea. It’s been far too long. Given the circumstances with covid and the squad, I’d take getting to the final of the league cup, if it means we don’t go long in the FA Cup. I’m greedy though and want us to go for all of it!

3 Likes

Can’t see it happening, probably two options (at least it’s not on TV). Postpone it 24 hours or move it to the international break. As I said the only concern on the latter is losing the Brazilians (who may or may not go) and Minimino, flip side is it’s potentially a return game for Elliott, the former crowds that week.

I’m not too bothered about playing Thursday/Sunday anyhow not sure why some are.

Suppose those who can train could train at Anfield.

1 Like

I definitely still prefer that we win it, although I suspect we won’t be seeing as many kids as people think. Our approach in the past has mainly been to use the FA Cup and the League Cup to give precious minutes to players on the fringe who need it, hence why some kids have filled in from time to time, especially with key players sitting out to get some rest.

1 Like

Yeah it’s why I don’t buy the This is Anfield article on the U18s being on standby, some players like Blair may well play but the U18s are also based at Kirkby.

The whole facility is closed.

All Premier League clubs, including Liverpool, have been told that their third round FA Cup ties must go ahead, according to reports

1 Like