Fabio CARVALHO: 2022/23

There’s always the risk how well does he settle, if the manager(s) like him, what’s the competition like and if they will prefer using other players at some point. In his position(s), for now, they have the likes of Olmo, Szoboszlai and Forsberg. Nkunku has left. But let’s also not forget that even in a normal loan, there are clauses over appearances, etc. Maybe we’ll hear more details on it with time. Most of it will still be down to the player, regardless if it’s at Liverpool, Leipzig or wherever. He needs to show he can merit (more) time on the pitch.

For me, I’m interested in seeing where and how he plays as presumably that will have been a feature of the discussions?

Of course.

I think it’s a good move. On the one side, he could have stayed here. However, he didn’t see much action last season, and we will only be stronger now, after a dog turd of a season. So sitting on the bench at Liverpool is not good for this crucial stage of his career. Good player, but not quite good enough for us, yet.

So a loan to an upper Bundesliga team who are known to give young players a chance. It is a great move, and it will give us more clarity.

What if he tears it up in Germany? Well, either we bring him home or sell for a much higher fee than he would attract now. Or possibly Leipzig want to keep him, and it smooths the way for a deal with someone like Szoboszlai? Either way, if he does well, the possible options for what happens next just get more interesting.

What if he splutters along, showing flashes of talent, but doesn’t really kick on in the way that makes us want to bring him back home? Well, there’s the answer. He isn’t going to make it here, and it will clarify the case for a parting of the ways.

1 Like

Not very clever (our) Fabio.

Guess we might see him playing for Angola in a few years.

If that account is accurate, I think there could be a problem with his attitude and also the advice he’s receiving from his representatives or agent.
Did this attitude problem surface during the course of last season and is that the reason he was barely seen since the start of 2023? Maybe, maybe not, but I’ve always suspected something happened and Klopp is not entirely happy with him.

1 Like

Texting isn’t the way to communicate a significant decision. With that said, maybe he felt the power differential, so didn’t want to be in a position to be talked round, as his mind was made up.

Anyway, it’s hard to know the ins and outs of a player and their attitude. Based on what we know so far, good player, but borderline if that means good enough for us.

A loan at Dortmund is the right move. Good luck to him.

He’s not wrong though. International football is itself such a low level of competition that playing the youth version of that really doesn’t benefit him.

Alright he should have called instead of texting (though he’d be lucky to recieve that same curtosy from his international coach if they dropped him, most don’t).

If he’s turning down international calls in order to focus on his club career, instead of playing youth competition, then yeah he’s got a perfectly fair point.

1 Like

For a player who’s played the amount of football he did last season, I don’t see how it would hurt him in the short term. Regardless if he’s part of a pre-season at Liverpool, Leipzig or somewhere else. You can make a perfect case that it can actually help him attract more interest and options this summer, because it’s clear his parent club doesn’t see enough room for him next season. There are players at that tournament who will be perfectly alright to try and impress this summer. But maybe he was undecided what to do in last months, as he already made one switch from England to Portugal. From what we know, the kid is alright. Being alright can also mean having some shit reactions from time to time, especially if it’s a young player. Some will be more patient, some will be eager to turn on a new page. That’s all fair.

There is also this assumption that every player has to care about playing internationally.

We also don’t know the nature of the relationship. Maybe Rui Jorge is a fucking wanker? All we know is someone rejected a call up and his manager got in a tizz about it.

3 Likes

Yeah. The way Carvalho rejected the call up (if it’s true), the manager’s reaction is completely normal. Carvalho himself doesn’t have to be motivated at the moment (or ever, even if almost all players are indeed motivated to represent internationally) to play youth international football, Portugal don’t have to be motivated in the future to keep calling him up after this. Whether he ends up as an international player in the future, who knows.

Fabio Carvalho has joined RB Leipzig on a season-long loan deal.

Good luck for the campaign ahead, Fabio 👊

— Liverpool FC (@LFC) June 30, 2023
1 Like

Chapeau !

Leipzig:

Fábio Carvalho has joined RB Leipzig on a year-long loan from Liverpool. The 20-year-old is an attacking midfielder and can play out wide too. The Portugal U21 international (4 caps, 2 goals) played 21 times in all competitions for Liverpool last season and scored two goals.

No, Leipzig, he scored 3 goals.

Max Eberl:

"Fábio Carvalho is a huge talent – the fact that Liverpool signed him recently just proves that. He is quick, agile, full of tricks and creative. He likes to get shots away and can also set his teammates up.

We will give Fábio the time he needs to settle in here and to adjust to life in a new country and with a new club. We are looking forward to him improving our attacking game and to have another option in this department.”

Fabio:

"As a young player, it’s a big step for me to move from England to the Bundesliga and RB Leipzig. I’m joining a strong side, one that has been very successful in recent years. Now, I want to help build on this and am looking forward to taking on a new challenge.

My goal is to play as much as possible, in the league, the cup and especially in the UEFA Champions League. RB Leipzig have a reputation for giving young players these kinds of opportunities, which is why this is the perfect club for me to continue my development at."

1 Like
2 Likes

Good luck to him. Hopefully gets plenty of football in Germany and Europe

4 Likes