Fábio Carvalho (on loan at Hull City FC)

Why? If he can’t get a game there what chance does he have with us?
He might be sent back, but recall seems unlikely.

I think he meant recall him to send him out again to somewhere he will play.

3 Likes

Just 257 mins with nearly half the season gone.

Need to use that Football Manager speak: “Fabio isn’t playing as agreed - what’s going on?”

How do they say “he’s shite” in German?

:joy:

Ask @mattyhurst

What is the issue I wonder…Physicality? He did seem to get brushed off the ball…

I hate to see young players not fulfill obvious potential no matter who they play for…

2 Likes

I guess it’s just how they rate their between the lines players and competition.

The advantage with a loan to Leipzig was that they’re a competitive side, they share some of our principles of play, play systems with offensive players inside, are often in European competitions, win the domestic cup here and there.

The disadvantage is that they always have a bunch of similar or better talents than the player Carvalho currently is. So they can’t give everyone the same focus and amount of chances.

Especially when it’s a loan without a buyout clause, even if I think Simons (who is impressing a lot) doesn’t have one either.

The club should enforce these minimum appearance clauses to the young players. If only to aid development.

That was always why I thought it was a weird loan. Their model is to develop their own young players and sell them on at a mark up. Why would they have any interest in developing one of ours? There isn’t much upside for them. They are always going to prioritise their own young talents.

1 Like

Yeah but like I said, Simons is also a player on a basic loan from PSG (who activated a buy back clause from PSV last summer).

Positionally, yes, they do play systems that often include a few #10’s. So there would be enough tactical room for Simons and a Carvalho, if both were doing well enough. There is obviously the (lack of) experience factor.

Especially in Olmo’s absence.

The Simons move happened after Carvalho already went there. Before that, I thought they would have 4 #10’s for two positions. Olmo, Baumgartner, Forsberg and Carvalho. Then they added Simons.

Plus, there’s also the player, where he wants to go. Leipzig also wanted to buy him initially. I guess we’ll find a more suitable loan for him either in January or next summer.

The next big Bellingham would probably be thinking twice about joining our club considering how difficult it is to actually break through to the first team.

That’s the only take away from this Carvalho matter.

Oh and the fact that he plays in a position we don’t need.

Liverpool do get in their share of young talent to the first team but we just bought one for his talent and not whether we’d actually play him there in the near future.

I’ll still recall him from loan if possible in Jan and make him spend time training with the first team. We do have the cup competitions to play for and maybe time away at Leipzig will make Fabio realise that the grass isnt necessarily greener on the other side.

1 Like

Gravenberch is same age as Fabio and has gone straight into the team. On Saturday we had a 20yo match winning midfielder and a 20yo CB. Bajetic and Doak had plenty of games.

If they’re good enough they’ll get in the team.

3 Likes

Carvalho got his chance last year, he was just far from good enough.

I doubt the next Bellingham would put themselves on his level, they’d probably have a bit more faith in their ability. Or they’d look at the chances afforded to Elliot.

3 Likes

Honestly, I’d say the next Carvalho will back themselves as well… looking at chances afforded to TAA, Elliot, Jones, Quanseh, Baj, etc…

2 Likes

It’s just as easy to point to Trent, Gomez, Bajcetic, Quansah, Jones and Elliott as reasons why they should.

3 Likes

Recalled

Wasn’t playing enough was at Forest yesterday, wonder if he heads on Loan there.

1 Like

Can he play left back?

With the FA cup starting and a 2 legged semi final at a time when Mo will be at Afcon its not a terrible time for him to come back. He could even get some minutes in those games to help us through Jan and be sent off on another loan before the end of the window.

3 Likes