Fabio "FABINHO" TAVARES: 2022/23

Had the second most games for us and by far the most minutes from our midfielders and I still expect him to play more than all the current midfielders next season.

Fab was at his best when the two midfielders in front of him were able to do all the dirty work. Gini and prime Hendo were the best at that but one left and the other got old.

Feel like Fabinho started to get worse as soon as we signed Thiago.

Thiago, Elliott and Jones have their qualities but that’s clearly not the basics like covering ground, running, pressing etc.

Fabinho had such a bad season but got better when Harvey was out of the team and even better when Thiago was out.

Doubt he’ll be the best defensive midfielder in the world again but I’m pretty sure he’ll be better than he was in the last two years with two new midfielders (and them being workhorses like Alex Mac and Kone?) in front of him.

1 Like

Provided Fabinho is willing , start the transition to CB and play him as a backup CB.

Get others in the midfield. Don’t see his long term future in Liverpool as a midfielder

We’ve already tried that, and it wasn’t pretty.

I dont know why people blame Thiago. He is our best defensive mid for a while although its not his main job.

I refer to him as the lighthouse whose bulb went a year ago, causing wrecks all over.

Jones is excellent at all these things.

A defensive midfielder who needs two other players to do his “dirty work” is pointless, especially considering he doesn’t bring any other outstanding abilities to the table.

3 Likes

I’d move him on. A few okay games towards the back end of an horrendous season shouldn’t be glossing over the shit shows. If he’s going to need someone holding his hand just to look halfway decent then what’s the point? Not like they can make him run any faster.

1 Like

Thiago 2024
Henderson 2025
Fabinho 2026

I think we will consider moving Fabinho next summer.

He struggled to do that when he was more mobile, now it would be a disaster.

Yeah no one wants to see him back in the backline.

I remember Gini, Hendo, Milner, Lallana, Can were all heavily involved in goals and assists while Fab was doing the dirty work all by himself - not!!!

I am at a loss you slag Thiago and then big up Fab when he has been far worse than Thiago, you must be watching a different game to me

2 Likes

My point is what does Fabinho offer the team? He’s slowed down way too much to effectively press, his concentration is poor, reactions are poor. He’s a decent passer but nothing extravagent.

He’s always been a front-foot defender - he seeks the ball, instead of holding shape - and that’s fine but he’s lost a couple of yards of pace which is both limiting him physically and highlighting the mental sode of his game which already had cracks (midfield runners have always had success against him as he doesn’t sense the danger).

My question is what does he offer that means we should continue to build a system that serves him? A younger, faster and hopefully more naturally aware defender in that role wouldn’t need as much of the dirty work to be done for him.

All players need help but literally constructing a midfield to cover the limitations of one player is too much.

For what its worth I think Klopp agrees with you, not me.

4 Likes

Not sure how the Liverpool recruitment office are dealing with the volume of CV’s they must’ve had from this thread alone.

How much of Jones’ impressive performances this season is do you think is due to the changes with Trent, and how do you think he would cope with us switching back to our previous shape?

I think (you didn’t ask me) that he’ll be fine. For me his problem has been fitness not ability. Tactics come as you get older and play more.

3 Likes

He’d be even better in my opinion, he can be creative, can dribble if he goes out wide and has an excellent shot.

The next step for Jones alongside staying fit is being more dominant in duels, he’s great at keeping the ball using his body, he needs to be better at stopping the opponent getting past him without.

1 Like
5 Likes

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1679424968856150016?s=20

Leaving aside the discussion about doing business with the Saudis, which is going on in multiple threads, I would be fine with this.

Obviously we need a replacement defensive midfielder, and assuming that would be the case, I would do it. Fabinho has nous, positioning, experience… but there are legitimate concerns there, and even if we keep him and sign, say, Lavia, it’s only a matter of time before the younger man usurps the older.

The Saudi injection of cash into the game just seems to accelerate some outcomes that were on the cards anyway.