Fernando Torres - Time to Forgive? New Amazon Documentary

The Torres bounce is the best Liverpool player song of the last 20+ years.

7 Likes

Fuck humming it, I still full-on belt it out around the house, until it gets stuck in the wife’s head and she starts humming it :rofl:

13 Likes

Yeh, that and the Maxi Rodriguez heartbeat tune…my wife still hums that without thinking :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ll take any reason to bring this one up:

That period was very dark from the perspective of a Liverpool football fan, and that game felt like a defeat even though Liverpool had won, but this song was the highlight of the season for me. Between it, Torres song, Suarez song, Garcia song and Firmino song, I really couldn’t pick a favourite.

4 Likes

I judge the brain worming quality of a chant by whether I spontaneously sing it to Apollo on a walk, and whether he responds to it. He loves the Torres and Garcia songs.

5 Likes

Suarez song still gets me…

2 Likes

Probably the only time both songs were sung together? Ah if only…

2 Likes

I didn’t like the way he left. But I have since got over any bitterness I have had.

One thing that bugs me is that he was never really impressive beyond the first year at Anfield. Don’t get me wrong, I liked him a lot and he was a great player, but the figures are too damn underwhelming for his level. There are just four other seasons when he scored at least 20 goals and one of them was with Chelsea at Europa League.

3 Likes

Well, I have no time for H&G either…

Torres leaving wasn’t the issue. Acting the gobshite towards the supporters to score cheap points from his new “friends” who were going to hate him whatever he did, I can’t respect that.

3 Likes

Well… I don’t care about him anymore. I remember my good friend when he was teasing me about Torres leaving for Chelski. I burst into laughter being sure Torres would never leave for a rival and especially not Chelski. Well, I lost that bet. But I digress.

He wanted to left. OK, understandable due to clubs dire situation. Buuuuut:

• not to fuckin Chelski in the middle of the season
  • with a written transfer request
  • under King Kenny with Suarez incoming
  • and being a gobshite about it, his words:

“I’m so, so happy and so, so proud to be here, finally, after these 12 days of conversations,” said Torres on Chelsea TV. "But, at the end of the day, I can say I’m a Chelsea player and I’m really, really happy. This is the kind of team I like to play against because that motivates me, but it’s the kind of team I want to play for. It’s always very tough playing against Chelsea, it’s one of the biggest teams in Europe, always fighting for everything.

So, after this, there are no more steps forward. This is the top level. The target for every footballer is to try and play at one of the top-level clubs in the world, and I can do it now. I have to be very, very happy as I am. The last three or four days have been very hard for me, especially after everything I have lived in Liverpool.

“But, as I said before, I can say I’m a Chelsea player now. I’m really happy and I’m sure I am doing one big step forward in my career joining a club like Chelsea. This is a great club, a real responsibility and everyone is expecting great things about me and I’m prepared and ready for the challenge.”

So Liverpool was way below his level, not a top club and not a great club whom you did not want to play anymore. And racist, right winged, oligarch, plastic club was ways above Liverpool? Fuck off Torres, you could’ve had some class and left at the end of the season to some overseas club and no one would resent you.

And after you’ve become useless sack of shite and when Liverpool slowly started winning games and fighting for Premiership you suddenly felt guilty conscience and quietly being LFC fan again. Fuck off. I’m not bitter anymore I just don’t give a flying fuck about Torres anymore. I just remember it to well at his throwing toys out of a pram behaviour.

7 Likes

Not bitter anymore you say ???

Have to remember that every player says more or less the exact same thing when they arrive at a new club…big club, here to win trophies, great history, such an honor blah blah blah it’s the standard spiel that all players do to try and get onside with the fans from the get go.

I was devastated at the time when he left but the club was in free fall and he had simply had enough of the rock show that was LFC at that time. Can’t blame him for that, how many of us would stay with an employer who was treating us poorly. I literally just left where I was working for exactly that reason. We need to remember that whilst it is a religion for us it is(mostly) just a job and an employer to the players and given where we where at the time he had every right to take the money and run.

1 Like
7 Likes

Including the fact that you were a miserable sulk before you left; bye-bye Torres - thanks for a great couple of years but not sure you even rank in the top 5 Liverpool strikers since our 18th title.

3 Likes

[quote=“PaulRoJo, post:34, topic:946, full:true”]
Including the fact that you were a miserable sulk before you left; bye-bye Torres - thanks for a great couple of years but not sure you even rank in the top 5 Liverpool strikers since our 18th title.
[/quote]

Easily in the top 3!
a privilege to watch him play in red,
normally players should be privileged to play for us,
but Nando was different.

who would be you top 5?
just out of interest…

2 Likes

Mo; Mane; Luis; Robbie are all ahead of him for certain. Bobby probably also should be.

1 Like

Top 5 strikers since 1990 for me:

Suarez
Fowler
Torres
Sturridge
Owen

In that order

(Mané and Salah are slightly different for me as more phenomenal wide players)

1 Like

Forgot about Owen but arguably he brought more to us that Fernando (apart from when he left!)
Not a fan of calling Mane and Salah wide forwards - they play up top for us scoring loads of goals. Basically making the category smaller just to fit Torres in top five shows us how far down the list he has fallen in just a short time. A very good Liverpool player but not a great - amazing I’m saying that already only a decade after we all thought he was irreplaceable.

1 Like

Well technically, for me, Torres is still top 5 even if you do include Salah and Mané as strikers.

1 Like

Well I said ‘not sure you could rank him in top five’; actually after this I’m more sure I couldn’t. Both Owen (actually won us stuff and more important for us than Nando) and Bobby (similar) make 6 players better than him just since 1990. Definitely doesn’t make top 10 all time!

2 Likes

Top ten all time?! Possibly not but I never saw the likes of Hodgson and Hunt play for us. I personally think you’re underrating him but we’ve all got different opinions :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like