Fernando Torres - Time to Forgive? New Amazon Documentary

Forgive him? I’m wondering if he wants a game…,

2 Likes

I loved Torres, but despised him when he left for Chelsea. I think his final 18 months at Liverpool was blighted by injury and loss of form, but prior to that, my god what a player.
Looking back, I believe he could see the direction the club was going, under Hicks and Gillette and decided to move.
As good as Suarez and Owen were, let’s not forget their behaviour in forcing a move was poor. Owen, by refusing to sign a new contract, cost us millions. Real Madrid got him for £8 million because he was in the final year of his contract, when, at the time, we should’ve got £30 million, if he’d been on a longer contract. As for Suarez, what a player, but we all know he was trying to force a move to Arsenal.

4 Likes

If we are looking in terms of how long they were with us and their impact accordingly, Torres wouldn’t come out better than Mane and Salah as they have stayed longer and have been part of successful years here.

Context is very important IMO. Not only did Torres played in a relatively defensive side, he didn’t have that much support in attack and a lot came from his partnership with Stevie. He did play in one of the darker times for our club as well with clubs like United and Chelsea being at their peak, making it way more difficult for him. It might seem recency bias as well, because Torres in those couple of years was one of the top strikers I have seen play not just for us, but in the world. Ability wise he was fast, sensational positioning and awareness and his finishing was impeccable.

4 Likes

Torres was pure genius. Prime Torres is probably one of our greatest CF.
He killed me when he left for chelsea.
I stopped buying jersey with player names after that.

5 Likes

Pl icons on Sky Sports at the moment is Torres. The lad was pure class, gave me so many great memories, the Blackburn goal the CL goal against Arsenal, etc and chant!!
I know our fanbase is split on him but we got his best years and then replaced him with Suarez. Never the same after he left us thankfully, but my god what a player and how much joy did he bring!!

2 Likes

I’ve never resented any of our players bar Diouff. I never took to him when he was here and that grew into a strong dislike (I try to save the word ‘Hate’ for more important things) with his antics post LFC. As for Fernando, for every hem, Coutinho or Suarez there are many YT, Academy and squad players who have been let go over the years. Football is a business and owners and management will make decisions in that business to try and do what they think is best for the club. I’m sure that the likes of Davey Thompson, Jay Spearing, Neil Mellor, Dom Solanke, Jordan Ibe etc would have loved to have stayed at the club, but the owners and management thought otherwise. Part of the Torres transfer fee went towards Suarez who gave us a fantastic season that just fell short in 13/14. Look what the money from Philippè’s transfer got us?
I tend to wish former players well in their careers (except against us).

5 Likes

Almost single handedly won the league for us. Had Robbie Keane played better we would have been Champions under Rafa… El Nino loved him. Nothing to forgive in my opinion. Him and Suarez would have been mouth watering with Gerrard behind. You could see he was so guilty when he played for Chelsea against us. Made a mistake and we all do. Just ask Coutinho. Same with Coutinho-feel so sorry for him and would take him if an opportunity presents itself…

6 Likes

I tend to wish our former players well, too. Not so much when they’re whining, stroppy, sulky, deceitful little shits.

2 Likes

And Gini is about to make the same mistake.

2 Likes

Owen. Now there’s a name that makes me feel… what’s the word… uncomfortable

1 Like

Yep, but that FA Cup final. Almost wipes out the memory of the other red shirt.

4 Likes

I’m the other way round. I remember the good stuff and then it’s all down hill. The way he left, United and every now and then he opens his mouth.

1 Like

as I wrote on TIA…

every player who plays for us, should fell privileged to pull on the red shirt of Liverpool FC,

but sometimes and not very often,

its a privilege to watch a player play in the red shirt of Liverpool FC,

Torres was one of those players, (as was Suarez) a wonderful player in his prime,
who struck fear into every defender and goalkeeper he came up against
during his time with us.

no hard feeling from me,
i prefer to remember the good times!

11 Likes

Omg! What has happened to my favourite, elegant and elfin like son? :flushed: :scream_cat:
Don’t tell me he is entering the Mr Universe contest!!!

5 Likes

He’s gone full Riise. :joy:

3 Likes

El Niño grown up.

3 Likes

he still has the Tolkien lingo tattoos

Torres was always very broad for a footballer. There’s a natural tendency that as soon as you stop expending the energy required of being a professional footballer that you all of a sudden find out how easy it is to add 10 lbs or so of muscle.

In 07/08, he was a little beast. Lean and hungry, so dangerous, arguably one of the best #9’s at that time. Possibly his best ever season with that winning goal in Vienna as the cherry on the cake.

Hahaha, he’ll soon look like Schwarzenegger! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like