Fernando Torres - Time to Forgive? New Amazon Documentary

A 70-year-old Austrian? :scream:

6 Likes

The reason I became a fan of LFC was Bc of Torres back in 2007. I didn’t have any college classes in the afternoon and there wasn’t much good tv on. So, the UCL was coming on at 2:00pm and I was like hmm this guy is pretty good, guess I’ll start supporting the team he is on. I had all his jerseys and when he left LFC, especially how he left, I felt betrayed. I throw all his jerseys in the garbage. I started to forgive him slowly throughout these years but a part of me was like A) what if he didn’t leave when Suarez signed B) with him gone, Suarez became the guy. Without Torres, I wouldn’t love this club like I do and I guess I can thank him for that.

4 Likes

You threw your Liverpool shirts in the bin? And you initially supported Torres not the club! Yet you call yourself Luis Suarez on here? Ok…

He said he threw his LFC shirts with Torres on the back in the bin, not all of his shirts.

He said Torres was the reason he started supporting Liverpool rather than he supported Torres not the club

I think he suggested that after Torres left and how he left, Suarez became his new idol… fair enough I would say, same thing happened with my two boys, and they still adore him today.

No need for you to give a fellow Liverpool supporter a hard time is there, we have enough fans from other clubs doing that for you … :grinning:

4 Likes

Just came across my youngest watching this. Torres talking about a goal he scored versus Arsenal. What a career he could have had at LFC with different owners.

2 Likes

He chose to leave and go to Chelsea!

Of course he did. Hodgson was using him like a fucking carthorse. He came to Liverpool for the promise of playing for Rafa in CL finals. He had turned down interest from Chelsea in the two preceding seasons, and now was staring down the prospect of his peak years hoping for a Europa League berth. That terrible game against Newcastle was the moment I knew he would surely be leaving. Just absolutely terrible football.

I don’t love him for the manner of his leaving, and I certainly don’t love him for where he left to (although the transfer fee was well spent with Suarez coming in). But I understand how desolate and desperate he must have been feeling that autumn. I was absolutely feeling it, but I only had to be in it for 1-2 sessions of 90 minutes a week. It was his whole life.

He won a Champions League with Chelsea. But when he is teaching young footballers, he talks about Liverpool. That says it all right there. The carnage that Gillett and Hicks wrought altered the trajectory of his career in a way that it never truly recovered from. Did he make a mistake forcing his way out? Hard to be sure, but I bet he wonders it himself.

4 Likes

2007-10 He was sublime for us.

4 Likes

I think he was starting to decline by the time he left for Chelsea. But the prospect of Torres and Suarez would have been awesome

I forgive him. Feranando was such an elegant and uniquely giftee player in the last 20 years . I wished he played Luis, they would have been impossible to play against. :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

The transfer fee was actually 15m plus Andy Donkey Carroll. Suarez was signed separately.

You could say 15m was a waste as well.

I think only Newcastle got their worth out of that deal.

1 Like

He was 26 when he left, the reason he had started to decline was the way the club had been forced to play him with that knee injury. He should have been in his prime, but you are right, he never got back there.

It was somewhat tongue in cheek. Torres left in January, Carroll and Suarez came in, for a net 7M spend. That ends up looking like solid business, but absolutely not for the reasons everyone thought it might at the time.

After McManaman I saw no loyalty in football, as a young teenage kid who adored him that was hard.

Was sad to see Torres go but the subsequent years didn’t make me feel particularly bad to him.

2 Likes

Forgive Torres? What is there to forgive?

Instead, we owe him an apology for Hodgson, for needing to line up along the likes of Konchesky, etc. You cannot expect a professional football player with a very limited career to accept playing for the jokesters that were running the club at the time.

We betrayed his trust and he chose to leave. To me, there are no hard feelings and we were wrong first and we also got a good fee.

1 Like

Just don’t give a fuck about footballers who leave us. Once they’re out of the club they’re out of mind too. Don’t care for what Fernando is up to just like I’m not fussed about Bobby (and his ca$hing in auto biography) nor Suarez.

Yeah I agree. I’m really only interested in Alonso due to what the future might hold didn’t really care about his playing days.

2 Likes

The details are murky but there was also the stories of how badly he felt he’d been managed medically with his injuries. Any top player would have a self preservation drive in that situation making them run for the door. No one of his talent would take years off their career for the sake of a fight to finish 8th rather than 12th

He was clearly playing with something wrong in his knee in March 2010, his gait was different and he did not have the same explosive acceleration he had in the past - I don’t think he ever fully recovered that. Whatever it was probably needed rest much earlier in that disaster of a season. However, despite all the challenges, we were never really out of touch of Top 4 so the focus remained on the here and now. That really lasted until late March, so Torres was rushed back from his January knee injury as soon as possible. By the time he went for the operation in April, it was a torn meniscus.