FIFA - All that’s wrong with football

This tournament has convinced me that I should move over to Mastodon.

4 Likes

Infantino feels deaf.

1 Like

I’m surprised he hasn’t commented yet on Germany, just got idiots like Hazard to spout out loud I guess instead.

1 Like

Guess his orders haven’t come in from the Qataris yet.

1 Like

Sent to his bank account that takes a day or two to clear.

1 Like

TV ratings for the games in this World Cup have been massively down in Germany. Good. Still too many watching.

11 Likes

Less than 10 million for the Germany game as opposed to 18 million for the Women’s EM final.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Precisely.
The actions required to equal the levels of outrage about how discriminate the Qataris are, would have been to say, fuck you we’re not coming to take part in your vile country.

But there’s too much money at stake to do that :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Harry Kane what a guy showing FIFA the error of their ways and rubbing the cost of living crisis into everyones noses

3 Likes

… but he wouldn’t take a yellow card.

It’s like saying to the armed house intruders, " here it is come and get it"

Don’t blame them for caving to pressure. Assuming they were threatened with more than a yellow card.

5 Likes

This whole World Cup revolved about pressure being brought to bear in some fashion or the other. Simply adds to the farce.

2 Likes

What pisses me off about people like Hazard is they dont understand that criticizing others for making political statements is a political statement. If he doesnt want to make one himself then fine. But he shouldnt act like criticizing others for their speech is the neutral position.

Their former captain was arrested overnight in Iran for speaking out in favour of the protests. This was a clear signal to the players that their families were at risk

8 Likes

It has been suggested that the legendary frontman, who snubbed an offer from Al-Hilal worth over £125 million-a-year ($151m) a few months ago, will be presented with more lucrative terms that will also allow him to become the face of a Saudi bid to win hosting rights for the 2030 World Cup.

I’ve been a passionate football fan for well over 50 years, but the actions of FIFA, UEFA, the FA and everyone in charge of the game have driven me to the verge of totally giving up on it and spending my time in some other, less sordid activity.
It’s an unbelievable failure on their part to destroy decades of devotion, and I don’t think I’m the only one.

12 Likes

Oh no, you’re not the only one. But as I still love LFC, I’ll continue to watch our games. Unless a corrupted sheikh or oligarch takes over. That would be curtains for me. Or if we find ourselves in an oil-sheikh owned league, which isn’t out of the realms of possibility. Also, if some of our games are moved to the Middle East, I’ll quit following the club.

As I’m still in love with football - the game, not the pathetic theatrics around it - I’d look out for parcels of it which aren’t yet infested by big money and corruption: a minor team in a minor league which I can follow easily. The local team here for instance is in the third Swiss division, with an eye on getting promotion this season. That might be a start for me.

If the Saudis or Dubai take over LFC, I’ll get to the little ground in the spring, for a few uncomplicated games. :blush:

4 Likes

What a shit show this is turning into. Hope none of this is forgotten when Saudi Arabia bids for 2030, but I’m not holding my breath.

3 Likes

I thought it was on rotation, I suppose they say they are catching up.

Give it another 50 years none of these places will be able to host it.

If things continue as they are I think the only place by about the end of the century that will have the climate for the Olympics is San Franscisco.

2 Likes