FIFA World Cup 2022: Qualification Stage

I think the NT games will improve the sharpness of Neco, Tsimikas, Kabak and Shaqiri. But I do hope the likes of Trent (San Marino), Robertson (Faroe Island), Wijnaldum (Gibraltar) and Jota (Luxemburg) are used judiciously.

In African Cup of Nations qualifications; Senegal has already qualified, so hopefully Mane will be spared. However Guinea and Egypt are yet to qualify.

Bloody hell :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

These are our players called up for the internationals:

Defenders: Kabak, Robertson, Tsimikas, N.Williams

Midfielders: Thiago, Wijnaldum, Jones, Keita*, Shaqiri

Forwards: Salah, Mane, Jota

Not called up: Alisson, Adrian, Kelleher (injured), Phillips, R.Williams, Davies, Alexander-Arnold, Milner, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Firmino, Origi (injured)

** Keita to return after first game.*

1 Like

WC Qualifiers: Europe

Robertson (Scotland): Austria (home), Israel (away) and Faroe Island (home)
Neco (Wales): Belgium (away) and Czech (home)
Tsimikas (Greece): Spain (away) and Georgia (home)
Kabak (Turkey): Netherlands (home), Norway (away) and Latvia (home)
Wijnaldum (Netherlands): Turkey (away), Latvia (home) and Gibraltar (away)
Shaqiri (Switzerland): Bulgaria (away) and Lithuania (home)
Thiago (Spain): Greece (away), Georgia (home) and Kosovo (away)
Jota (Portugal): Azerbaijan (away), Serbia (home) and Luxemburg (away)

Africa Cup of Nations Qualifiers

Keita (Guinea): Mali (home) and Namibia (red listed, away)
Salah (Egypt): Kenya (away) and Comoros (home)
Mane (Senegal): Congo (away) and Eswatini/Swaziland (home)

Turkey seem to be smashing Holland

1 Like

Giniā€™s picked up a yellow. Heā€™s hopefully aiming for another one, so that he gets a ban and consequent rest.

2 Likes

Michael Oliver is in charge so Gini should just ask for the second booking.

1 Like

Whatā€™s baffling is the games over, Gini is on a yellow and yet De Boer keeps him on.

1 Like

The guy has never got over us not being interested in him.

1 Like

Wilson gave wales the lead against :belgium:.

We played a game today. We won 3-0 (of course, it was only Gibraltar), but we played really unimpressive. Erling Braut Haaland had a very off day (managed to miss 5 chances, never ever seen him miss anything close to that before) and Ƙdegaard stepped over, so went off injured. We need to play a lot, lot better if we are to have a competitive chance against Turkey. Actually, we probably need to play better to beat Montenegro as well, since Balkan teams, however small and tiny, have a tendency to have have good technical players.
I do expect to beat Montenegro though. But we need to play better, be more effective at the very least.

That is all from this Norwegian.

3 Likes

Ireland beat by Serbia. Played ok but beat nonetheless. Might be up against Serbia for a play off spot, with Portugal favs, if we can keep Azerbaijan and Luxembourg at bay. So not a great start at all.
NI away to Italy tomorrow night, Will be a tough call.
England host the mighty San Marino and Scotland away to Austria which should be a good one to watch.

2 Likes

I saw that your players displayed t-shirts in favour of human rights, as an indirect protest against the slave-holders from Qatar. Hats off for that.

4 Likes

Great start in the group for you also with the Dutch result. I like to keep an eye on the Norweigan results. My friend moved there a number of years ago. Iā€™ve been a few times over the past 10 years or so. What a place.

1 Like

Itā€™d be so much better if all the players just came out and said ā€˜fuck it weā€™re not playing in that slave trade desert in decemberā€™ if they really wanted to protest.

8 Likes

Yeah, without any question, Iā€™d wish it to happen. But on the other hand, itā€™s not them who chose to hand the world cup to Qatar, so I can understand that they want to play.

But at least, showing that they donā€™t agree with what happens over there helps to put light on these malevolent, disgusting practices.

4 Likes

Itā€™s a rather long list of thing we wish the players should/would do. But itā€™s not going to happen.

The Norwegian players did exactly that, hence why I take my hat off to them.

1 Like

I appreciate what they did and I also appreciate your and JimBoukiā€™s PoV. Call me cynical, but Iā€™m tired of isolated, selective, and symbolic gestures that ultimately comes to nothing. Again, yes what they did what nice, but to what end?

It just cause a debate, in a way taking the knee will probably come back up again when the fans are back, hopefully most clubs donā€™t do a Millwall but I worry.