FIFA World Cup 2022: Qualification Stage

It’s like wearing a t-shirt saying ‘I oppose factory farming’, whilst waiting in line in McDonald’s to get a Big Mac…

2 Likes

Well, if anything, this word cup helps to shed light on Qatar. The good things, and the bad things too. Qatar have now been widely exposed, everyone interested in football starts learning about their disgusting business practices, everyone is aware of the thousands of deaths occuring during the construction of their stadia, about them being slaveholders past and present, and they will be more and more exposed until the tournament.

So, a team wearing t-shirts for human rights isn’t much in the whole indeed, but it’s a small gesture which holds value in the sense that it broadens the consciousness of everyone about what the Qatar sheiks are nowadays, and how far away they are of any decent ideas regarding human rights. In order to help their businesses, they try to buy themselves a modern image by organising a global event. But in fact, they can’t help to appear as what they are: sombre cretins with ‘values’ coming right from the Middle Ages.

I for one hope that participating teams will have the courage to do the same than the Norwegians when they will be under the spotlights of the whole world during that tournament.

2 Likes

We’ll never win that; it’s fixed.

4 Likes

Mention it in here but one thing I’ve noticed with this U21 England side it has players who are actually playing first team football for years the calls up weren’t so it makes a refreshing change.

Mind you it’s bloody dull

3 Likes

McDonald’s can’t ban you from earning a living in your profession if you boycott their food.

1 Like

Big Shaqs with a nice assist for Seferovic. 2-0 on Bulgaria in the first 10mns.

5 Likes

And looks like he just scored the 3rd. It might be an own goal. Off the keepers back.

EDIT: NM, neither of this. They give it to Zuber. Shaqs with the power move and shot on goal to put all that in motion.

5 Likes

Think they gave it to Shaq, well I did :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

I see Kyriakos Papadopoulos starts for Greece tonight (with our own Kostas Tsimikas also in the visitors’ defence) against Spain.

Every time I see his name, I ask myself just how good he would have been without the injuries.

3 Likes

Probably not much better, playing for Lokomotiva Zagreb, currently bottom of Croatia’s first league. Probably another one who got so much hype early on because of his physique and being aggressive.

2 Likes

Germany doing the same yesterday as the Norwegians before them:

4 Likes

Poor Emre’s average position last night. :joy:

1 Like

Doesn’t Germany has any proper wing backs?

Never been so disinterested in the German NT like in the last 2-3 years.

Team lacks so many things starting with the quality of the CBs (Süle and Rüdiger are starters :joy: ) which was always on of our strengths. And also no real FBs.

4 Likes

To make is slightly uncomfortable for Qatar, maybe create a couple of media stories and raise some awareness. It won’t directly affect Qatar much at all, but in Norway there have been a long debate if we should boycott the entire gig or not. Conclusion is that we are a small team seldom in the WC or even Euro and that it would have insignificant effect if small Norway boycotted it.
This is just a middle ground. The hope is that it can affect other westeners since Qatar will ignore it. But Germany now took after and they are a much more powerful state, both in football and geopolitically. But of course, it is much too late now concerning the many thousand who have been, in my opinion , neglected to the point of murder, while building their propaganda stadiums.

So maybe it won’t contribute to much but if it creates a few unconfortable media headlines for Qatar then that is still worth it imo even from a cynical pov.

6 Likes

4 Likes

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/netherlands-join-germany-norway-in-making-qatar-human-rights/cirepzsf5gd11pkqjhsdfh5d8

3 Likes

Jota to start against Serbia.

Turkey 3-0 against Norway.

1 Like

Portugal 1-0 up…Jota :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes