FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Portugal disappointed me in the last Euro’s, back when I/we also thought they were among the favourites.

The main thing I remember about them is a lack of balance in midfield and attack, they were far too open for a Fernando Santos side. Played Bruno Fernandes as part of a midfield 3, with 3 attackers ahead. Didn’t look good, they were picked apart. They need to close those gaps. Easier said than done having to “carry” a Ronaldo and a few other main offensive players. If it means dropping someone, they should.

I don’t trust their goalie anymore, Patricio is past his best I feel. Mostly from watching Roma highlights. Not convincing anymore.

There’s always the question of the second CB alongside Dias.

Full backs they have brilliant options to choose from, possibly among the best in the tournament. Possibly the best part of their squad, along with those offensive options.

But then it very much depends if they find the winning formula which players to play in midfield and attack and in which structure, so that it has balance, which is how they won what they won under Santos in the first place.

1 Like

2 Likes

France have a PSG about them a bit though, they will blast it away or fuck up in the Quarters.

Brazil and Argentina looked meh in the Copa America so perhaps there is a surprise team there.

I can’t think many footballers will have played in domes to be fair? Maybe some of the welsh lads at the Millennium.

Wouldn’t say that about France, I think what Deschamps has done with them considering how horrible they looked for about 10 years (I mean not only as a football team, but as a group of professionals), is brilliant.

But it’s now a battle of expectations, doing it again and also them missing some key members in midfield. Pogba and Kante are big misses. Pogba often played better for France than club football in recent years. They should still be in the conversation, regardless of their shock exit against Switzerland last year.

Brazil are the bookies’ favourites and Argentina are looking good under Scaloni. Quality in certain positions is still suspicious, but at least it seems like their team makes sense now and is working well together. Won the last Copa and the Superissima as well, they played really well.

It’s a final big attempt for the likes of Neymar (he might have one more WC in him), Messi, not to mention Ronaldo… but especially the former two.

1 Like

Spain:

Simón, R. Sánchez, Raya;

Carvajal, Azpilicueta, E. García, Guillamón, P. Torres, Laporte, Alba, Gayà;

Busquets, Rodri, Gavi, Soler, M. Llorente, Pedri, Koke;

Ferran, N. Williams, Pino, Morata, Asensio, Sarabia, Olmo, Fati.

1 Like

1 Like

The moment that Jota got injured the Portugal squad became 100% dicks.

Sorry mods, I’m in Australia and they all talk like that down here.

4 Likes

So, looking back at my prognosis…

Almost certain to go are all in, Jota would’ve also been if he’s fit.

Questionables are 2/5.

We’ll have 7 players at the WC, but really only two guaranteed starters. Nunez probably 3rd in game time.

Serbian national team has just been announced as well:

Goalkeepers: Marko Dmitrović, Predrag Rajković, Vanja Milinković-Savić

Defenders: Stefan Mitrović, Nikola Milenković, Strahinja Pavlović, Miloš Veljković, Filip Mladenović, Strahinja Eraković, Srđan Babić

Midfielders: Nemanja Gudelj, Sergej Milinković-Savić, Saša Lukić, Marko Grujić, Filip Kostić, Uroš Račić, Nemanja Maksimović, Ivan Ilić, Andrija Živković, Darko Lazović

Forwards: Dušan Tadić, Aleksandar Mitrović, Dušan Vlahović, Filip Đurićić, Luka Jović, Nemanja Radonjić

No surprises, at least not from the top of my mind.

2 Likes

Played really well? In the Copa? I watched that tournament being a night owl and i think it was the worst football I’d ever watch.

I’d say it’s wide open, surprised France aren’t actual favourites mind but yeah wouldn’t write some teams off.

Always a surprise and Qatar is probably the great uncertainty of it all.

Matty H - Top goalkeeper, decent speller and night owl.

I’m excited about this, the more unscathed our team comes through the great sportwash the better.

I’ll take Timber, Frimpong, van Dijk, F. de Jong and Xavi Simons, the rest you can flush.

Dutch goalkeepers since vdSar… :joy:

How is Vincent Janssen still there?

Great, no Thiago. :+1:

No idea he is shite.

Becker, van Dijk, TAA, Henderson, Núñez, Fabinho, who am I missing?

:brazil: Alisson Becker
:brazil: Fabinho
:fr: Ibrahima Konaté
:england: Trent Alexander-Arnold
:england: Jordan Henderson
:uruguay: Darwin Núñez
:netherlands: Virgil Van Dijk

6 Likes

I forgot about Konaté :+1:

Becker will start and van Dijk, could be a lot worse.

Italy’s squad looking pretty good this year

1 Like