FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

how do you leave Origi out of Belgium squad? wow.

Nice and cool ā€¦ :scream_cat:

He did nothing for Belgium since a few good goals in, when was it, 2014. Always had better performers for Belgium ahead of him.

Poland squad

Goalkeepers: Bartlomiej Dragowski (Spezia), Lukasz Skorupski (Bologna), Wojciech Szczesny (Juventus).

Defenders: Jan Bednarek (Aston Villa), Bartosz Bereszynski (Sampdoria), Matty Cash (Aston Villa), Kamil Glik (Benevento), Robert Gumny (FC Augsburg), Artur Jedrzejczyk (Legia Warsaw), Jakub Kiwior (Spezia), Mateusz Wieteska (Clermont), Nicola Zalewski (Roma).

Midfielders: Krystian Bielik (Birmingham City), Przemyslaw Frankowski (Lens), Kamil Grosicki (Pogon Szczecin), Jakub Kaminski (VfL Wolfsburg), Grzegorz Krychowiak (Al-Shabab), Michal Skoras (Lech Poznan), Damian Szymanski (AEK Athens), Sebastian Szymanski (Feyenoord), Piotr Zielinski (Napoli), Szymon Zurkowski (Fiorentina).

Forwards: Robert Lewandowski (Barcelona), Arkadiusz Milik (Juventus), Krzysztof Piatek (Salernitana), Karol Swiderski (Charlotte FC).

2 Likes

Surely that has to be a typo. Always thought heā€™s English

Something to do with his grandparents I thinkā€¦

Interesting Antonio Silva made the portugal squad. Pepe still being involved at this age shows how limited they are at CB and so if theyā€™re willing to take a risk on such an untested but promising 19 year old that could really solidy them. If they were able to pick a fit Jota as CF you could make a good argument that they could put together an XI with the least weaknesses.

1 Like

Without knowing that much about the Belgian national team, but wasnā€™t he basically not getting many chances with them anyway? Heā€™s featured in 10 games over the last 5 years. I know JĆ¼rgen once called out Martinez for essentially ignoring Origi (after the Merseyside derby where he, ManĆ©, and Shaqiri demolished Everton).

However good or bad a player you think he is, I think Martinez simply hasnā€™t given him the opportunities to do anything.

Donā€™t think he deserved much more to be honest.

JĆ¼rgen clearly disagreed but presumably Martinez wanted players who actually played at least semi-regularlyā€¦

Thatā€™s relative with Jurgen. Origi got what he got, wasnā€™t much often. Sometimes got more than he deserved because we didnā€™t have better. With Belgium, itā€™s a different scenario again. I really donā€™t look at Origiā€™s career and think that he didnā€™t get chances. He got more or less what he deserved. What you need to do when youā€™re lower on the pecking order? With little, earn a little more and then a little more again. Someone like Batshuayi and even Benteke had better games for Belgium than Origi. They might not be world beaters compared to Origi but thatā€™s the way it went for a pretty successful national side.

He rode that 2014 WC highlight a long way. I was surprised AC Milan picked him up or that heā€™d want to go there after spending so much time on Liverpoolā€™s bench.

inspirational.

remember the squad when we finally qualified after 30 odd years, and the squads leading up to that ultimate success

best of luck to the lads, ultimately its a massive honour and something they should be proud of, as a fan its hard not to be a bit deflated, butin all honesty, thats disrespectful to the ladsā€¦

I think thatā€™s a bit harsh considering he was still quite a good finisher, whatever his other shortcomings were.

Not trying to be harsh. When he arrived at Liverpool, he was expected to make a larger impact than he ended up making. Maybe heā€™ll make something of himself at Milan, but he isnā€™t getting loads of playing time. IMO, heā€™s not a starting-quality big club striker. If Iā€™m him, Iā€™d rather go the Welbeck or Solanke route and play some football.

My dissolution is more to do with the manager being a useless old pisshead that took our strongest ever squad and barely got out of the group stage in AC07.

How can he honestly believe that Redmayne and Vukovic are better options that Langerak? Even Ryan isnā€™t getting game time at Copenhagen, yet one of the most inform keepers in J-League gets overlooked is a joke.

Soutter hasnā€™t played this season due to injury, so why is he picked over Sainsbury?

We should have a poll on here, who is winning the World Cup.

1 Like

France are going to win it, fairly easily too. I reckon they beat Portugal in the final 2-0.

Italy not there, neither are San Marino or the Vatican.
Argentina donā€™t have a defence, neither do Belgium.
Dutch donā€™t have an attack, neither do Spain.
Brazil rely on Neymar and Vini.
England have Maguire.

Portugal are my underdogs in this.

It wouldnā€™t surprise me. Glad to see the Carvalho rumours were false. Way too early and he will benefit with time with the remaining squad and coaching at Liverpool. (Was going say Kirkby, but they are heading to Dubai).

Uruguay squad

Goalkeepers: Fernando Muslera (Galatasaray), Sergio Rochet (Nacional), Sebastian Sosa (Independiente)

Defenders: Jose Maria Gimenez (Atletico Madrid), Sebastian Coates (Sporting CP), Diego Godin (Velez Sarsfield), Martin Caceres (LA Galaxy), Ronald Araujo (Barcelona), Guillermo Varela (Flamengo), Jose Luis Rodriguez (Nacional), Mathias Olivera (Napoli), Matias Vina (Roma)

Midfielders: Lucas Torreira (Galatasaray), Manuel Ugarte (Sporting CP), Matias Vecino (Lazio), Rodrigo Bentancur (Tottenham Hotspur), Federico Valverde (Real Madrid), Facundo Pellistri (Manchester United), Nicolas De La Cruz (River Plate)

Forwards: Agustin Canobbio (Athletico Paranaense), Facundo Torres (Orlando City), Giorgian De Arrascaeta (Flamengo), Maxi Gomez (Trabzonspor), Luis Suarez (Nacional), Edinson Cavani (Valencia), Darwin Nunez (Liverpool)

Costes has come a long way. :clap:

3 Likes