FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Whilst it was shocking, I can’t imagine Qatar will get it that far wrong! :sweat_smile:

The new COO for the competition

Personal favourite

1 Like

Poor guy. He’s sitting there thinking “fuck, I thought my english was good, but I have no idea what this guy is saying” and then slowly realized the issue wasnt with his near perfect english.

2 Likes

Hendo and Trent going to the WC

Bringing White and Walker says he’s desperately trying to find a way to not have to pick Trent.

Interesting though he has picked both Walker and Phillips despite injury concerns. It’s the one bit about the expanded squads I like that it allows you take more of a risk with players whose fitness is touch and go.

1 Like
1 Like

Not being funny but how is Eden Hazard still being picked?

1 Like

I was a bit puzzled by his recent comments, I interpreted them as though he was trying to convince people that he was good enough for Belgian national team, he sounded pretty defensive. I got the impression that he wasn’t sure he’d be going - which would have been a travesty judging by his performances in the last year or so. I’ve been a big fan of their player selection over the last ten years or so but not of their football, they always seemed to lack a couple of players to balance the side (mostly wingbacks or fullbacks, in my opinion).

I am really disappointed that he has left out Robin Gosens.

1 Like

Maybe from a personal point of view Trent doesn’t want to burn bridges with England by telling them to fuck off and retire, that’s what I would do.

Southgate won’t be around after the world cup so he’s got new opportunities maybe.

But me…yeah fuck of Gareth, I don’t need to sit on a bench for 3 weeks

1 Like

I’d say Martinez is doing a pretty good job with what he’s got to choose from. Belgium want to give him a new contract, but he’s staying calm, which is logical. I don’t know what else is out there, if I’m missing some new good full/wing-backs, but I believe with a brave coach like him, we’d see them by now. They’ll probably pick from two more or less natural RWB’s in Meunier and Castagne on the right and more offensive/converted players at LWB in Carrasco and T. Hazard. Trossard was always bound to go I think and with Hazard being out of rhythm and Bruyne possibly being needed in a few positions, Leandro could get some good game time.

Not sure any PL club would go for Southgate as their manager… so he might want to stay on until the next world cup…!
Who cares eh!

1 Like

I don’t think there are many paths to him staying in the role after the tournament. Ultimately when you’re not liked it’s difficult to avoid the chop on such a natural breaking point as the end of a world cup cycle. the fact his prior tournament success has created a high bar for him to sustain in some ways makes more likely that this will be seen as a failure and used as justification to move him on.

2 Likes

I think to remain he will have to get at least the semi finals.

2 Likes

I think anyway you spin it there is a narrative that can be pushed to justify him being moved on, even if he gets to the final or even wins it. He would either be seen as going out on a high and handing off a great foundation to someone more progressive who will play better football, or be someone whose pragmatism has held back a talented group and new leadership is needed for them to take the next step winning it.

I think the lack obvious other candidates are what would make the strongest argument to the FA to resist the temptation to replace him.

1 Like

He would probably use a win as a spring board so it’s probably the only outcome he leaves of his own accord.

These look …. Well

1 Like

Australia Squad:
Goalkeepers: Mathew Ryan (FC Copenhagen), Andrew Redmayne (Sydney FC), Danny Vukovic (Central Coast Mariners)

Defenders: Aziz Behich (Dundee United), Milos Degenek (Columbus Crew), Thomas Deng (Aibirex Niigata), Joel King (Odense Boldklub), Nathaniel Atkinson (Hearts), Fran Karacic (Brescia), Harry Souttar (Stoke City), Kye Rowles (Hearts), Craig Goodwin (Adelaide United)

Midfielders: Aaron Mooy (Celtic), Jackson Irvine (St Pauli), Ajdin Hrustic (Hellas Verona), Bailey Wright (Sunderland), Cameron Devlin (Hearts), Riley McGree (Middlesbrough), Keanu Baccus (St Mirren)

Forwards: Awer Mabil (Cadiz), Mathew Leckie (Melbourne City), Martin Boyle (Hibernian), James Maclaren (Melbourne City), Jason Cummings (Central Coast Mariners), Mitchell Duke (Fagiano Okayama), Garang Kuol (Central Coast Mariners)

Best advise the airline to hold the plane as they’ll be heading back in a week’s time

1 Like

Timo Werner out injured. wow