FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

This is questionable. He does have his favourites he is loyal to, but his view of Trent for example is one highly perpetuated by the media. His selection for the Euro’s (before Trent got injured) looked very much like back tracking influenced again by the media. I’m sure there are other examples.

4 Likes

If he was making moves like mood and opinions in media/public changes, England would not even qualify for tournaments.

:joy:

1 Like

He doesn’t fancy Trent, which is a mistake in my view, but his call. You should see what people here say about Trent on the match threads!

1 Like

Agree. Gerrard is my all time favourite player, but was about doing it all himself. Whereas Hendo is always about driving on others. Maybe because he doesn’t have the same playing ability, but his leadership skills appear more similar to Klopp’s

1 Like

Don’t think it’s about playing ability. Zidane and Cryuff had playing ability in abundance but that didn’t stop them from being successful managers. Same with Ancelotti, while not at the level of the other two, still a quality player. Some just aren’t cut out for top level football management.

For this version of the U.S. team better to show a muzzle loader where they manage a shot (on or off target) about once very half an hour.

1 Like

I don’t really disagree with that. People pointing to Southgate’s limitations don’t seem to have much recollection of the absolute trainwrecks in the past - including the dire situation he inherited. The England team is as likable a version of England as I can recall. I just think they are very limited, not as talented as some past iterations. The real issue is with the fans, who seem to be unable to shake their sense of entitlement, or genuinely assess how good a side they have.

Italy has won at least 2 World Cups with teams less talented than the corresponding England side, building momentum but playing some very tight games along the way. You can almost hear the raging of twats like Cundy if England is still 0-0 at the half against Senegal.

3 Likes

Yup. For the first time the team appear very different to their fans in this regard

He’ll injure his tongue.

1 Like

He’s prone to soft tissue injury anyway.

Ibou starts in a strange looking French side.

They are already through and it would take a spectacular turn of results not to finish top. It’s an ideal chance to give fringe players a run out and try out new formations.

3 Likes

Are you telling me you can’t foresee Tunisia winning 1-0 and Australia beating the Danes 5-0?

1 Like

Unlikely rather than impossible but it makes no difference to France’s progression other than falling on the other side of the draw.

Tunísia have a a goal chalked off

I can see Denmark getting a bit irked if they don’t go through because Tunisia out score them in the games but we will see.

Konate bossing it physically :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Oh damn, Laidouni looks a player, strong, fast, slick feet! Made a mug out of Camavinga there

Best player on the pitch again the Danes.

1 Like

Konaté is a beast. I’m glad he is ours

6 Likes