FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

They let the USA have loads more possession but hit them fast with the counter attack.

1 Like

Gazpacho crap again.

Agree with that. Almost lackadaisical on defense at times. Wonā€™t be able to do that against better teams in the World Cup.

1 Like

I havenā€™t watched much Team USA in recent years. I guess Greg Berhalter has taken some criticism, but the proofā€™s in the pudding. Got us through the group playing exuberant football. Iā€™d let him continue in the job.

2 Likes

Yep, they came into the game probably knowing the USA couldnā€™t hurt them with the ball. They set up well.

Will we see the same against Argentina?

1 Like

Itā€™s an outrageous goal, whichever way you look at it.

How the motion of the ball travels in that direction when the ball is played behind himā€¦I just.

US analysis I think partly shows what the team is lackingā€¦a repeated focus on not getting enough from crosses. ā€œif we made 16 crosses, we need to score from moreā€. Maybe thatā€™s less of a reflection of not being productive enough there and more not having any better idea than to hopelessly punt the ball into the box?

Lots of talk about autopsies now, but with the players available Im not sure what else the US could do here. Put a Donavan or Dempsey on that side and maybe hey could get something more out of this game, but for the quality they now have throughout the team, they are very lacking in that area of the pitch and in a game where they needed a proper forward to tie the attacks together it showed really badly today

2 Likes

20 minutes in it was clear the way the game was playing out and it wasnt lending itself to the US shape - too much possession for a side with too many players used to playing behind the ball. There werent many obvious options for him to change the game up, but they did have Gio and when he turned to him he did it in a very unimaginative way that didnt address the issue they were facing. And he then didnt try too much else.

As I said in my post above, I dont know what more the US could expect with the players available, but the game felt like Berhalter just conent to go through the whole game with the match up that wasnt working for them. It was like a guy who learned a philosophy in coaching school and didnt have the mental tools to adapt to way the game was playing out.

1 Like

Pretty much like Musiala at this World Cup

1 Like

The end of the commercially driven hype that fox created is so welcomed
This Dutch team is so poor and the level of the USA team didnā€™t deserve a last 16 spot

Canā€™t wait for NBC or any other broadcaster to get the rights to future WCs

1 Like

Overall Iā€™m pleased with USA performance as a whole. 2nd youngest team, great midfield, should be a force in 4 years playing at home. Need to find a proper #9, and that team will be dangerous. They can go home with a bit of pride how they played, even being second best to the Dutch.

I think Robinson (the left back) started the tournament with his hair in fire, but ran out of energy by the knockout rounds, and that hurt us toady. A few to many mental lapses and trouble finding ways to score during open play, even though we had our chances.

Letā€™s go England.

1 Like

I actually do not know too much about him as a coach, but it seemed to me the match was more about execution. Tyler Adams had a less good match than he had against England. The U.S. opened some space and some chances, but they just donā€™t have the quality and didnā€™t even live up to the quality they do have today. I mean, for the U.S. to progress out of the group and lose to a European powerhouse is about as good as itā€™s ever been, save that one victory against Mexico in 2002.

https://youtu.be/pCbQgX8lMoo

Ā£100,000,000 to United, then.

1 Like

Much more entertaining second half. Hope they beat the Argies!

America need a top striker. A central one. As things stand they are a last 16 sort of team. Decent enough, but wonā€™t bother the big boys.

As for England, how far will they go? Senegal are no mugs, but itā€™s better to face them without Mane. Presumably France will be next up for England. Mbappe will surely fear facing Maguire :joy:

More today though. Australia have done well to get this far. I expect them to be committed and organized, but if Argentina string it together like they can, they should win comfortably.

Argentina strike me as a team thatā€™s okay at 0-0 and better while leadingā€¦but can fall apart if they go behind.

Crucial for Ozā€™s sake that they donā€™t concede firstā€¦or early

The Saudiā€™s say Hi.

Dunno worked well for the saudis

Safe to say they took the Saudis quite lightly and have learned that chastening lesson. Especially after watching Germany and Belgium crash out and the spate of defeats by the fancied sides in the final group rounds