FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Only by grumpy old sadam Husain wannabe roy keane trying to make himself relevant.

Who in their right mind handles a poor cat like this… :rage:

But it’s all about the vernacular, innit?

Argentina beat the Netherlands on penalties.

The end.

If you’re gonna cover the game, speak the language.

The BBC doesn’t cover the ‘gridiron’ games at Wembely.

It’s outrageous and yet another example of American cultural imperialism attempting to have the rest of the world fall into line with the unstoppable march of its voracious consumer-driven machine.

3 Likes

What next?!?!

FUCKING QUARTERS?!?!?!?!

Noted and actioned.

2 Likes

Can I just say that I’ve simply got bugger all interest in it. I guess it puts me in the first category. Football is selling it’s soul. Not a protest as such, just can’t be asked.

Sadly, I suspect it’s probably only a matter of time before I do the same with the PL. I hope not but I feel the outlook look bleak.

3 Likes

Next signing for West Ham?

1 Like

And those who try and defend Qatar when this is pointed out are complicit in the sportswashing and make me sick.

Kurt Zouma.

2 Likes

There are very few ‘Qataris’. Most of the country runs on immigrant labour and any actual ‘citizens’ are financially in hock to the government which is set up to exploit others. It’s a desperate, backward and morally bankrupt place that will sink back into the sands once it’s global warming export is no longer desired.

3 Likes

Where to start…

My expectations before the game were that Brazil are clear favourites and that we would normally go out, but that it could be tighter than expected. Didn’t think they would necessarily embarrass us. Although some high results can happen, like Portugal battered Switzerland, which wasn’t really expected.

Maybe a goal, two maximum. Possibly take them to longer distance and extra time. That wasn’t difficult for me to imagine, although deep down I really didn’t think we’d knock them out. Didn’t think we could survive everything they would throw at us.

First on Brazil, that was definitely not their best last night. The fact that they’re not a pressing machine is nothing new, they’re also pragmatic to some extent. But physically I felt they were weaker than expected last night. Neymar is also playing on the back of an injury, not 100%.

My hopes were based on that their top wingers couldn’t get enough quality support from their full backs. Militao at RB, Danilo at LB. That’s what they have and it’s solid, but not great to create overloads on the sides. So we could provide extra cover, not to defend 1v1 against Vini and Raphinha. Extra cover to defend Neymar also.

My hope was also that we could steal quite a bit of the game through our possession game, having top quality midfielders, plus the help of another one on the day. All players active, having no passengers, but options on the ball. Calm the game down at periods, hide it from them, combine. Brazil are not used to that a lot.

I wanted us to exploit gaps between Casemiro and then the offensive likes of Paqueta and Neymar. Start putting passes together, be brave to play in their structure when we can (timing is important) and see how they like it. They didn’t like it. Partly I think they respected us and rightly so, but partly I don’t think they played the wanted game from their side.

Modric (not having the best tournament) had a different role last night, played directly on Casemiro. When teams did that to Real, Real would simply move Casemiro in the build up phase and generally Kroos would drop to beat the press. Brazil still miss that type of starter, a proper #8 who would operate between Casemiro and the offensive bunch. I expected Guimaraes to play more, didn’t think they would stick with Paqueta for so long throughout the tournament.

What I certainly didn’t expect was exactly how much we managed to steal that from them. But truth is also, we didn’t create much from that. We don’t have enough quality/pace in our forward line. So we have to play with a few players depending on the day and what’s needed, in order to get the maximum we can.

They still created the most damage in their left inside and our right inside channel in defence. Got in behind a few times. We were lucky in some moments, they were really close. The goal they scored was fantastic, possibly the goal of the tournament, if we want more of a team goal other than Richarlison’s brilliant strike. That’s simply called quality.

I don’t know how we do this, but what I know, for me at least, is that it also doesn’t fall from the sky. Nobody is subscribed to success, there have been and will be more difficult periods, but it’s not the first time that we’re doing good.

1998 it was bronze.
2008 we were seconds away from a semi final.
2018 it was silver.

Now we’re again among the final mix.

I’m already delighted with our result, post-Japan. I just wanted us to have a better tournament than the last Euro. Qualify from the group, play better than a year ago and then the rest is bonus. QF is realistically where we belong on paper, if we have a bit of luck post-group stage. Performances have been so-so, but international football is like that, we can’t judge it like elite club football.

Whatever happens next, I’m happy.

2 Likes

Yeah! Why?!? Stick with the big striker setup and try to win it!

2 Likes

For years the big issue Brazil has had has been how to fit Neymar into the side in a way that maximizes his role without exposing them. For a while earlier in Tite’s tenure, Phil’s connection with Neymar was that missing link. More recently it’s been Pacqueta, playing in the hole behind him with 2 quick wingers outside. The problem is that in neymar’s recent absence Richarlison took his place as the central striker and did really well and forced Tite’s hand to rejigging the side to keep him in that role - Neymar dropped deeper into Pacqueta’s role and Pacqueta deeper into Fred’s role. I dont think it particularly worked for any of them and a side with Pacqueta as the link man a bit furhter forward with a playing like Guimares in alongside Casimiro would have made then a lot harder to disrupt, but required Tite to make a decision with his forwards he wasnt willing to make.

I know people like me can get overly complicated when looking at football, too eager to downplay the role of individual talent in favour of a good structure and players doing their role properly, but I do think one of the hallmarks of the Neymar era for Brazil has been an over commitment to accommodating him. Afterall, his role at Barca, where he probably played his best football, was relatively uncomplicated and he should have been good enough to thrive in any role without having to set the side up to explicitly to suit him. I always think back to Lippi in 06 and his pragmatic acceptance that for as good as the pair both were he simply couldnt get Totti and Del Piero on the pitch together at the same time and so had to alternate them. That sort of tough decision making has been absent from Brazil for pretty much the entirety of the Neymar era and I think is the principal reason their all time top scorer will now exit without the trophies of the more adaptable, more team focused players of the past he’s been fighting to match.

2 Likes

Their best strikers are pretty average and didn’t really suit what was the best approach. Hopefully this ends any Gapko talk as I simply didn’t think he was that good.

1 Like

Thank you …:+1:

In fact the only players I would purchase off this World Cup are Enzo Fernandez, Bellingham I would have gone for anyhow.

1 Like

Brazilian press officer day before the Croatia game. Cat got his revenge with Brazil going out.

Neymar is Brazil’s best player. He’s been one of the best players in the world. Immense player. It would be ridiculous to field a team without him.

He done fuck all in last match all game but then scored a brilliant goal…
A proper turf magnet.