FIFA World Cup: Qatar 2022

Yeah as I said it’s probably been that way since the codes split.

The argies taunting the Dutch after winning penalty shootout.

1 Like

The deaths surrounding the Qatar world cup are a disgrace and Qataris should be ashamed. Disgusting. And disgusting to defend it.

1 Like

The lack of class that I expect from this team.

4 Likes

The people I’ve read on here are either strongly against the World Cup being in Qatar to the point of boycotting it, or against it being in Qatar but still watching, as their love of football is greater than their desire to boycott.

When it is poked further, most people are able to see a difference between individual Qataris and their ruling elite. Most reds in here would be horrified to be equated with Boris Johnson or Liz Truss in the eyes of the world, for example.

And then a few people have experience of Arab culture, usually as tourists, and they say the people are friendly and hospitable.

Oh, and beyond that, Maria has given a valuable perspective of living in Qatar, I think before lots of the changes to the skyline in recent years.

I’m not sure I am reading any reds who are saying they are glad about the lgbtq+ laws, or working conditions for migrants, and so on.

I don’t know why the anger?

2 Likes

If England makes it to the final (sadly I’m expecting a France win tomorrow) I would love to beat Argentina. They have no class. It was like watching Atletico Madrid.

5 Likes

“I’m still here!”

4 Likes

Beautiful win. A shame Van Gaal’s friend in black was so forgiving towards the Dutch players, but it was expected.

2 Likes

We’ve all had our say and agree on the Qatar and FIFA shithousery.

So back to the football and I reckon it has been great. It had it all this morning Aussie time. Surprised not reds to Virg and the pelican Argie who smashed it at the bench after that awful tackle. And what a gutsy free kick at the end etc etc. loved it all.

Whilst I want Messi to win it I don’t like the Argie GK and the gloating at the end. Be gracious winning and losing but that seems rare at the pointy end of knockouts when the big boys play in CL and WC. Carry ons galore or blame the ref.

Onwards to the next few matches.

3 Likes

And while I have my opinion on various national teams, I respect my fellow reds and you sir are well entitled to support your team! :handshake:

Adding another view for some perspective

Someone from the UK predicted that Croatia would win the world cup. Looks like a decent prospect now. On paper, they do not have many “good” players. But they seem to be the most hardworking, consistent and cohesive team.

2 Likes

I really do hope Grant Wahl’s death is just one of those sad things that happens and not something far more chilling.

5 Likes

With the Qataris involved in WC22 you could never be sure.

2 Likes

Nope especially as he has been such a prominent critic over there and the illness has suddenly come on. Yeah heat can be a factor but why is it just Wahl suffering.

Too coincidental

Croatia has been in a final and now a semi-final over the last two World Cup knock out rounds without winning a single match in normal time.

7 Likes

It’s not like all the other teams have been entirely convincing.

Many Croatia players are at the end of their careers. They are trying to reach the next rounds with what they have. I’ve seen worse teams (clubs and countries) winning major tournaments.

It’s the semi final now for them and by this stage anything is possible.

2 Likes

The Argentinian could have shown abit of sportsmanship at the end. The south Americans from other countries i worked with in the past said Argentinians are famous for their arrogance.

I know Brazil were criticised for their dancing antics, but they do respect the opposition teama and they usually praise the opposition when the play bravely against Brazil.

you are the best.

couple of kids, a professor of some such malarky…

most pressing issue of the day?..americanisation of football language.

please never change