Cult hero

Igor Biscan
Likable lad
Cult hero

Luis Suaraez
Not totally likable
Football legend

3 Likes

Iā€™ve met Biscan (and heard enough of him in the media when he appeared) and heā€™s genuinely one of the most boring characters Iā€™ve ever seen in football. For me thereā€™s nothing particularly likeable about him. His certain ā€œcultā€ status is probably more due a few solid to good games out of the blue (us having a lot of injuries and Rafa putting him back in midfield) he had for us in the CL run, starting from that key Deportivo win all the way to the Chelsea semi.

But yeah, I understand the point and generally agree. There are different categories. Football legend, or club legend. Likeable character and/or player.

2 Likes

Of all the players to play for Liverpool, Lucas was certainly one of them.

Lucas was average for a bit, then he started becoming quite good, then he got injured and was a bit disappointing. Heā€™s one of the many players in recent years we held onto for too long after a serious injury.

Great guy, decent player at times. Probably never good enough to be a regular in a top side though.

1 Like

Soā€¦

we are still arguing abour Leiva despite him leaving 7 years ago

Arguing about Lucas, while Spearing is on clubā€™s books, while weā€™re out of all cup competitions in the middle of March and are facing an uphill task to finish fourth. You might say that nothing has changed since Rafa left!

1 Like

Its oddly comforting.

Dani Pacheco called Lucas a complete footballer on his Instagram.

Legend doesnā€™t seem that hyperbolic now, does it.

2 Likes

Tbf we called Dani Pacheco ā€šthe next big thingā€™

1 Like

Bruno Cheryou - The next Zidane.

I use the term Leg End to players who are a bit of player but also more of a cult hero.

There are very few I would say are legends in the last 30 years.

Salah is potentially one youā€™d look back on, Alisson is another that you will look on for all the important and crucial saves he has made. (To be fair the legendary front three probably deserve that honour).

I wouldnā€™t bracket the likes of Torres to be honest or Alonso (though he was my favourite player at that time).

2 Likes

Itā€™s a term I used a couple of times on TIA. :grinning:

A legend? No. Why? Something legendary is rare, extraordinary. Is a player like Lucas rare or extraordinary? Nope. Thatā€™s reserved for players like King Kenny, Stevie G,

1 Like

If someone thinks Lucas is a legend for LFC that is their opinion and thats all that matters

3 Likes

Divock has only been gone a year but I just saw this and laughed out loud.

PC comment much

For legends matches, the term legend seems to mean that they played a few seasons for us and left in relatively good standing. Glen Johnson, for example, would not be a legend in any other capacity, but heā€™s eligible to play legend matches (I believe I also saw Salif Diao and of course Jose Enrique, and I think we can all draw our own conclusions about them as well).

2 Likes

Nice guy. Always with the smile on his face. If a twenty-year-old Lucas Leiva were available today on the same form on which he entered the club, would we see him as part of the solution to our midfield woes? I only saw him play in the Brendan era so cannot answer. The player I saw was a reasonably capable defensive midfielder but nothing special.

Youā€™d have to dig a fair few up if we were going for a proper legends match.

And old timers sounds a bit nasty.

1 Like

If you think Iā€™m PC you aint got a clue, but your opinion doesnā€™t change someone elseā€™s

1 Like

All 3 are legends in my eyes, as is Ragnar Klavan whoā€™ll be partaking in the legends game this weekend!

1 Like