Former players and managers - general discussion

You carry on believing that.

The most shots on target per game in the league (5.5) away from home, but only 1.0 goals scored per away game. And the third highest number of shots on target per game at home (6.4), giving us the overall most shots on target per match.

The problem is everyone is underperforming this season; to try to blame it all on, say, the midfield without recognising that the defence and attack have both been way below standards too is simply wrong.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s shite. I liked watching him on the pitch, and heā€™s a lovely guy off the pitch.

Your lack of sympathy might be more a reflection on you.

6 Likes

The atmosphere on this board is getting worse by the day. Write something that another does not like and instantly they make it personal while throwing in some insults.

Shankly, Paisley, Moran, Fagan

5 Likes

Always liked Bellamy - seemed like a mad hatter but one who was genuinely decent. Iā€™m sad for him that he has gone bankrupt but good on him for getting out the message to other young players. I also think heā€™s right about the clubs doing too much for players - hopefully first team players today are made to do some mandatory financial training and then strongly encouraged (via properly accredited financial adviser etc) by default to invest most of their wages into a balanced range of index funds. Not esoteric investments, cars or unusual speculative property etc.

5 Likes

Probably where the players union should a bigger stand.

The clubs wonā€™t want that liability and some players jump from club to club otherwise you get dodge where there is cash.

3 Likes

I like Bellamy, always have. Not without his bad moments like a lot of ā€œsaintsā€, but I feel he was misunderstood and badly portrayed at times. A few players spoke about this. Hope him and his family can have a happy life in front of them, get back to some sort of stability.

4 Likes

Ditto! I have a lot of time for Bellamy. Wish him all the best

3 Likes

Sad to hear the Bellamy news.

Just throwing this out there, but it might be a useful function for the PFA to have under its umbrella, helping players to make good financial decisions.

It could be in numerous guises. Mandatory payments while playing, invested in PFA approved vehicles, for a pension payment at whatever designated age.

Not sexy, but at least guaranteeing players who have earned good money a decent pension, at the applicable time. If they make many millions in alternate arrangements, good for them. The PFA scheme would then be a mere cherry on top. But if they lose their money, like Bellamy, it could at least be a lifeline.

Alternately, maybe the PFA could employ financial advisers to help the players make decisions? The players would pay a fair fee, as with any good professional advice, but they would have the protection of the PFA, which would only allow approved and vetted people to work with the players.

Anyway, good luck to Craig Bellamy. I hope he gets the reset he needs and can make something of the next chapter of his life.

2 Likes

Joao Teixeira has signed for Shanghai Shenhua.

1 Like

I didnā€™t use to like Bellamy as I thought he was a bit of a twat on the pitch, then I read about his charity work in Africaā€¦ one summer while teammates were jetting off to exotic beaches, on a whim he instead decided to fly to one of the worldā€™s poorest countries. Then, inspired by what he saw there he started up a soccer academy there and was otherwise involved with charity work. As far as I know he never sought publicity for it, the piece I read was years after the fact.

A bit of a character for sure, but Iā€™ve got a lot of respect for him since then.

7 Likes

BiŔćan is the new manager of Zagreb.

5 Likes

You scooped ZB there, surely?

Wasnā€™t Zoran their previous coach? TAN :clap:

Yeah, Dinamo not doing great lately. Out of Europe in autumn, out of the cup a few days ago. Crisis in the board. Some key players leaving mid-season without being replaced. Biscan now needs to win the league and not let that slip also. They have 7 points advantage with 9 games to go.

1 Like
1 Like

One of my favourite players of all time. Rarely mentioned in the discussions about ā€œlegendsā€ but he truly isā€¦occasionally see him about. Happy birthday Ian. Many more I hope.

13 Likes

He could have given Milner a lesson in staminaā€¦ The guy never stopped running

5 Likes

I heard a story years ago about when Cally first got into tge Reds team. We were away in Europe and the team were on a curfew. 3 or 4 players including a young Cally snuck out but were caught coming back in. Shanks got tyem at the entrance and told 3 of them to come and see him in the morning. Then he told Cally that he was going to tell his Mum on him. :joy::nerd_face: