Former players and managers - general discussion

That chip against West Brom was fucking outrageous :rofl:

1 Like

Was almost like Sturridge was going - anything Luis can do , I can do too.

Both of them fed off each other and I’d say even improved each other over the course of that season

2 Likes

The range of finishes Sturridge was able to do with his left foot - easily in my Top5 ever.

Doesn’t mean he was a great footballer overall.

2 Likes

Understood that. Applies to Sturridge as well

Injuries derailed him from achieving greatness.

But his left foot was sweet , and his right foot was too. Strikers strong with both feet are a rare commodity

Like I said before, for me, it’s his ball manipulation and imagination what I’ll remember him for. Even more than some of his superb finishing.

A very gifted and spontaneous footballer who could create for himself and for others.

Once, I looked at all Liverpool goals from all cup finals in our history. And Sturridge’s finish against Seville is up there.

I remember him coming from Chelsea where AVB used him more off the right in a front 3.

I wondered if he was complete enough to make that move to centre forward, which was our idea. Also if the character was right. Turned out to be that he certainly wasn’t a bad apple as the media maybe portrayed him to be and had more to his game than coming off the right onto his left foot.

I wouldn’t go as far as some of you, people like Rooney and Kane were/are clearly better players. No need to pretend otherwise. For me, he was never England’s best striker and he doesn’t need that classic post-career myth in order to be remembered positively. I also don’t remember him using his right foot a lot. Lefties are usually more one footed than righties.

I’ve been lucky to see some very successful strikers at Liverpool starting with the likes of Owen and Fowler. Each had their own strengths. Some were overall better or best (see: Suarez).

What I can “give” Sturridge is that he was arguably technically the best of them. Especially in small spaces.

Probably never robust or disciplined enough to be a leading lone striker in a team that needs to win the biggest prizes. But play him in a way where he has a quality partner or two in the final third, boy he can create, combine and finish. Studge was best when you could let him a little bit, like a kid in the park.

Not that I need to separate them, but if I had to, from the ones I’ve watched at Liverpool since my first season of 00/01…

Fowler as best finisher. It’s like he had every single goal in his arsenal. Be it from open play, combinations, individual goals or even dead ball situations. In his pomp, he could score every type of goal.

Owen and Salah as the best pure stars of their respective teams or even eras. Some are shy to accept being that star player, but I feel like them two totally embraced or even looked for it from an early age - a very underrated aspect in top level football. As long as it’s not problematic for the group, I’d say it takes a lot of weight off their team mates. Incredible confidence in themselves and absolute killers in terms of mentality and goalscoring.

Of course, football has changed from Owen’s days to Salah’s. Football is more collective, but the principle of having that expectation upon you to keep producing. Absolute animals. I felt like nothing could shake them on or off the pitch. Total single-mindedness to score goals, win games, win trophies.

Sturridge as perhaps technically the best, close control, variety of solutions to get out of situations, create, either for himself to score or others.

Torres as the best pure #9. Not so great when it came to back to goal stuff, but for a short while he was arguably the world’s best at leading a line in an era when lone strikers was the trend and they had a lot to do. On the half turn, working the channels, off the shoulder of the last defender, you want him in that situation.

Firmino as the best link up player. A weird player, but someone who could receive, turn and combine almost in any zone in the opponent’s half.

Suarez as the best player of them overall. Other players had perhaps more in certain aspects, but he ranked high or highest in a lot of them.

2 Likes

I agree with this, although with Bobby his value was intangible. He offered us so much in how he was able to keep the ball moving, he played like nobody we’d seen before. Not our best player ever, but I think probably the most under-rated player in a team that won damned near EVERYTHING on offer.

2 Likes

Sturridge was easily a better more natural finisher than Suarez.

What Luis had that was so rare was a willingness to kill himself OR any other player on the pitch to make a pass, win a ball, score a goal without hesitation every single second he was on the pitch.

3 Likes

For me Suarez’s 4 goals against Norwich in one game show that he is a better finisher as each one was outstanding and all different in their execution.

He could score from anywhere

2 Likes

Six years ago yesterday Phil Coutinho left for Barcelona.
A truly historic day for the club in ways unimaginable at the time

4 Likes

Who would have thought his leaving would lead to the success we have had

3 Likes

Not me at the time to be honest. It just shows the genius of Klopp.

2 Likes

Was key that we got that big fee which was available to reinvest. Contra Owen or Macmanaman to Real

2 Likes

Congratulations to Sadio and his wife.

https://x.com/LFCTransferRoom/status/1744237083676332241?s=20

11 Likes
3 Likes

https://x.com/mailsport/status/1744726038972936411?s=46&t=aLG9ncyUrtZ-QtZv0kz6SQ

1 Like

Sugar daddy Sadio.

:joy:

‘18 year old long term girlfriend’ is an ugly phrase.

5 Likes

Very problematic at the least.

2 Likes

Congratulations to Sadio Mane on his wedding.

I’m not looking into the phrasing, beyond recognizing it’s the Daily Mail, and it won’t be the last time they try to put a shitty slant on something.

Unless there’s evidence to the contrary, Sadio is a top red former great, and a nice fella too, with loads of reports over the years about how he uses his money for those who are less fortunate, and also personally volunteered at his local mosque in Liverpool.

The Daily Mail can do one.

5 Likes