Former players and managers - general discussion

i guess having a mousetache back then was very fashionable

It was obligatory

1 Like

IMG_8533
IMG_8534

Apparently it is them.

2 Likes

I wonder how a team from the early days of football would fair against a modern team…

Hopefully this will help…

1 Like

Indeed. There is a picture of my great-grandfather when he was a policeman in India and all of them were required to have a mustache (and a couple of Sikhs had full beards). It looked not unlike that picture.

I’m not sure what the logic behind the requirement was but it appeared universal.

4 Likes

It was to prevent homosexuality

It still is. :wink:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Team-All-Macs-Early-Liverpool/dp/1904091547#:~:text=The%20team%20McKenna%20assembled%20was,has%20continued%20with%20the%20likes

Given the stories I heard about my great-grandfather, it worked!

It’s the stories you don’t hear that count. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

Nice video, Zoran. Shows the steel and sense of justice of Aldo and also that Kenny wasn’t the perfect man manager.

Intersting. I always thought Aldo had wanted to leave because he wasnt starting many games.

To be fair to Kenny, at the time we had a pretty old squad and not much cash to spend.

1 Like

Another way to look at it…
He got a lot more money by going than he would have by staying -
There are always two sides to every event - not disputing events didn’t unfold as he states… but there was obviously a reason/s why they were prepared to let him go

eh?
Doesn’t seem to work for ole Freddy.

1 Like

He was though. We’d only played 3 or 4 games of the season by the time he was sold, but through that previous year, the only one we had in full where both of them were here, Aldo played pretty much every game and finished the season as our top scorer. Rush in contrast was really pretty disappointing that year. He struggled with injuries so was in and out of the team, but in terms of goals failed to get into double figures, something he would only ever do one other time and then not until he was 34 and at the end of the line. Aldo was simply out performing him.

There is a simple explanation though that once you pay the money to bring Rush back you compare the two, realize that Aldo is 3 years or so older, and so in a very cold calculation he has to be the one to move on, and it needed to be done while he still had value. But there is also this sense that for whatever reason Kenny was never fully satisfied with him. No matter how many goals he scored it always felt like a Rush shaped shadow hung over him and so if we needed a goal it was Rushie who was trusted not him. It’s like Kenny didnt want to lose Rush in the first place, didnt want Aldo to be the replacement, and so always had that bias through his time here. And then soon after letting Aldo go we went and bought the striker he allegedly wanted to replace Rush in the first place (speedie).

2 Likes

Mentioning Speedie, just reminds me that of the rose tinted spectacles that Kenny’s 1st managerial stint has in Liverpool’s fans hearts.

The team and players we had when he left and his last few signings were poor.

The likes of Speedie, John Wark, Walshy, just not the top players.

The drop off from players like, Barnes, Beardsley and Aldo, his 1st signings and that team of 88, was huge.

Kenny is still a legend not just for the football side of it and even though Souness got a lot of stick for the shite he bought, he wasn’t left much by Kenny .

1 Like

I forgot how frequently he was playing but totally get the point about Rush’s return and him being sacrificed. And agree with much of what you wrote. With regards to the Speedie signing though - I saw that (at the time) as a result of us having little cash to buy better alternatives. He was 31 by the time he joined us. and just feels an odd deal given the state of the squad by that point and the need for a rebuild.

As squad players I think those players were fine. The problem was that our key players had been allowed to age and become injury prone together at a time when the club’s finances had become stretched and without European football.

Still a lesson relevant today. We rectified it somewhat last season with the midfiled, but it’s why its so important to turnover the squad year after year.

1 Like

Michael Owen on a Singapore podcast. Touches abit on why he joined each of the club he joined after leaving Liverpool and how he tried at every turn to come back to Liverpool.

2 Likes