Former players and managers - general discussion

We fired Souness early the next season and Ndlovu would go on to score a hattrick against us soon afterwards

Souness 1-0 Liverpool
:joy:

1 Like

Cameron Brannaganā€™s penalty was the winner in Oxfordā€™s 2-1 aggregate win over Peterborough United in the League One playoff semi-final (he also assisted the other Oxford goal).

They play Bolton in the final, Iā€™m hoping Brannagan can finally get up into the Championship. I think heā€™s a player who should have had Premier League opportunities by now.

1 Like

Another one who found the step up from a reserve premier league team to a championship side too much.

Heā€™s off Indian descent so he did make the news a fair bit and hence my remembering him. Also started off with a good goal when he moved to Swansea.

:flushed: :astonished:
Rafaā€™s man management skills were never his strong point, was it.

https://x.com/UndrTheCosh/status/1788247393193820177?t=904zDOAULnEIV04PRPYweQ&s=09

1 Like

I have a seen a lot of bad interpretations of what Warnock is saying there (why does he think he deserved to start? He seems more interested in money than playing) when those are just all ancillary points around the core - telling someone they are in the squad and then backtracking without explanation. That is a real punch in the guts for the player and deserves a human touch. Itā€™s borderline psychotic for Rafa to have just waved that away as unworthy of addressing.

1 Like

Borderline psychotic?
Seriously

1 Like

Prior to that clip, Warnock was talking about how preparing for a Tottenham home game, they pinned the sheet up with the squad, and he wasnā€™t on it, so he went out that night to celebrate his mateā€™s birthday. The next day, he comes in for pre-match training, (game squad separate from rest of squad) and Rafa asks him ā€˜what are you doing?ā€™ Warnock says heā€™s putting his boots on for training. Rafa says, ā€˜no youā€™re not, youā€™re playing.ā€™ Warnock takes him to the sheet with the squad, and Rafa tells him itā€™s the wrong squad, and that heā€™s starting. Itā€™s a bit mad really. A basic admin error happening twice to the same player.

He talks about that on exactly 23 minutes in the full video.

1 Like

Two possible explanations.

They made a clerical error and put him on the list when they didnā€™t mean to. OR
They had a change of heart, and switched him out.

Either way, itā€™s not good enough.

It needs a phone call from the boss, or better yet face to face, to say what happened, and then at that point, it would have been a nice gesture to soften the disappointment by saying we will make arrangements for you to get the bonus.

It wasnā€™t about the money though, and Warnock is right be feel aggrieved.

Mind you, I hope he is over it now! He is often on the tv here in the States, on NBC doing the Premier League, and sometimes he comes across as a smidge anti-Liverpool, or anti-Darwin Nunez, whenever Iā€™ve heard him.

1 Like

You mean heā€™s "a bitter!":smiley:

This is based on Warnocks recollection of events nineteen years ago. No recourse to answer for Rafa, if he was so inclined.

If Warnocks version is 100% the truth, fair play, he has a gripe. But maybe, just maybe there is an explanation.

He works LFCtv regularly so I think heā€™s over it.

5 Likes

Stopped listening to Warnockā€™s take on events, at the precise moment I heard him slagging off Gerard Houllier over something or otherā€¦ The guy has been dead since 2020ā€¦ now that is an easy target eh

2 Likes

Time to come home Adam.

Weā€™re lacking some of thatā€¦thatā€¦that well nivea groomed figure around the place at the minute.

1 Like

Maybe go where Cazorla still plays (for a minimal possible wage).

Cazorla and Lallana as the two #8ā€™s in a 4-3-3. Right foot, left foot, whatever you want.

Would pay to watch that. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Heā€™s 36 years old and has had a fairly decent club to end his serious playing career with.

I suppose he could have had better luck with injuries but the drop from Liverpool to Brighton isnā€™t as high as the drop from Liverpool to Al-Ettifaq or Al-itthad.

Wish him all the best. Hopefully heā€™s done his coaching badges and I do think he can play his part as a youth team coach to begin with. For all intents , he and Milner seem well liked by Brighton as well.

3 Likes

Heā€™s a very likeable guy. MLS for a couple of years would be ideal.

Ben Woodburn released by Preston.

1 Like

Steve Warnock sounds like a bad egg.

https://twitter.com/LucasLeiva87/status/1792218561529700473?t=8BBvIEpM_QHGNSFHSDRKEA&s=19

10 Likes