Former players and managers - general discussion

Small period so far but Pep Seems to have started well

3 Likes

Another gem I just saw online. It’s from the Athletic News, Monday 13 June 1892, which was a Manchester based weekly sports journal.

THE LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB (Association) requires PLAYERS for next season. First-class men only. Outside left, centre forward, goalkeeper and left half-back.Also Good Young Players for Reserve Team. Apply stating terms & c to the Hon. Secretary [WE Barclay], 33 Everton-terrace, Liverpool.

Now, the original Liverpool team were all Scottish Professionals. I’m wondering whether this advert came before or after they were recruited?

6 Likes

Our first ever match was played on 1st September 1892, so that ad would predate it.

4 Likes

Yes, it’s just that they are looking for 4 specific players. I’d always assumed that they just went up to Scotland and hired an entire team of professionals.

2 Likes

Give @cynicaloldgit time to remember, 132 years is a lot to go back in his memory…

8 Likes

He would have been a probable then.

A probable what? :thinking:

Nah, the ad clearly states first-class men only :rofl:

4 Likes

Amongst the trialists.

Got rejected because you were too cynical to run.

4 Likes

You spelt “lazy” wrong.

1 Like

You probably were mouthing off the others. A lazy prick like myself wouldn’t have bothered

2 Likes

I never knew this so it has piqued my interest because I think it may have been around the time my great-grandparents (or great, great grandparents?) moved to Liverpool from Scotland. So I wonder how much of the decision to recruit Scottish players at that time was down to the fact that the City had large Scottish population at the time already (I assume it had?) or was it more a business move because Scottish footballers were available and better than other british counterparts?

1 Like

old

Git

I think a big part was the perspective on professionalism. Football in England in the 19th century was a sport of the aristocracy and even as it started professionalizing around the big industrial towns and cities those emerging clubs tended to look to Scotland for players as there was a more developed sense there of it being something you could commit to as your day job.

2 Likes

Just put the early Série A game and Reina is playing for Como, must be in his 40s now.

Slowly turning into looking like Beneitz :joy:

2 Likes

42 in 5 days I think?

2 Likes

https://x.com/AnfieldEdition/status/1829267350329139328

4 Likes

Another online find, the change of name document that established Liverpool Football Club (and Athletic Grounds).

5 Likes

He’s hung up those international boots - I do wonder if Bielsa has decided Suarez doesn’t have the legs for his style of football.

4 Likes