Former players and managers - general discussion

Judging by his interviews I doubt he regret that much. He said he would have had to wait for years to win the trophies with all the changes happening and in hindsight he was right. With Chelsea he won, and that’s what he cared all about when he left Atletico.

As a fan I absolutely hate that he went to Chelsea of all clubs, but have come to the conclusion that that’s what football is for many players. He himself states that in one of the interviews, where he mentions the only badge he’ll kiss is of Atletico. Loyalty and one club players are hard to find, especially when the going gets tough.

Yes he was fantastic and immense for us, yes what he did as a crazy obsessed fan of him made me cry, but well we moved on, so did he… did he enjoy those trophies, that’s his perspective. Did we went behind a couple of years, probably yes.

The only lesson learnt is not to fall in love and get attached to players again (easier said than done) because not all love the club the way we do.

1 Like

There’s a great piece on Torres today on The Athletic, and a lot of what we assume to be the case with Torres, is actually not.

Although he won the most at Chelsea, of all the periods of his career, that was his least favourite. His main reason for moving was a) his knee was fucked and he panicked that he didn’t have long left in his career to win something, and could see we were just at the start of a project that would take years to complete (in the end, it was almost a decade) and b) the club first lied to him telling him they were still ambitious and would be signing great players, only to turn around and sell Xabi and Masch, and then Comolli telling him bluntly they needed to sell him to raise cash for new signings.

He says he still loves Liverpool and always will, even if our fans can’t forgive him for moving. If it wasn’t for his knee injury and the chaos of H&G’s last days, I don’t think he would have left.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree with what you say. It’s the nature of football. However, the timing when he left was particularly bad for us. With hindsight, the club should probably have told him that he was staying for the rest of the season, and that we’d reconsider his position in the summer.

There was no clear replacement in the pipeline for him at the time, so the club should have taken time to consider how to move on, instead of jumping on the half-season wonder that Carrol was, and spending almost all the money from Torres’ sale on him.

But that’s all the past now, and to be fair, there was no clear decisional structure at the club yet at the time (apart from Comolli behaving like a bull in a China shop), so this kind of things was bound to happen. It was part of the learning curve for fsg after taking control of LFC.

1 Like

Yeah, can’t deny that he would have loved to succeed with us. Anyways don’t have hard feelings as such anymore and still love watching his videos from his time with us, always brings a smile to my face.

1 Like

I think sometimes you can rationally come to determine that a relationship has come to an end but still be sad it had to come to that. That’s always how I viewed Torres’ exit.

2 Likes

From today’s BBC gossip column:

Former Liverpool defender Nathaniel Clyne is training with Crystal Palace and could earn a contract with the Selhurst Park club. (Standard)

Be good if he he could get a contract there.

7 Likes

Hopefully this is the right thread, but…

anyone know the truth of Ovie Ejaria’s sale? I saw a “Reading insider” praising LFC after the deal because LFC kept its word by honoring the “loan-to-buy” deal even though the deadline had technically passed and much bigger offers (at least double the 3.5) from other teams had been turned down to give Reading, who was having financial issues, the time and opportunity to hold up their end of the deal. LFC refused to sell for less but basically went out of the way to give Reading the opportunity to hold up their end.

I ask because I’d often check out Reading games if they happened to be on just to see how he was developing. And if Brewster is worth 20-25 and Harry Wilson is worth 15-20, I’d say Ovie was at least worth 10-15. So 3.5 seemed ridiculously low. But, if this is true, I like the fact the club would make a point to work with Reading instead of simply screwing them over with a sole focus on the bottom line.

Anyway, I saw all this on Twitter, hence the reason why I’m curious what the truth is and asking if anyone really knows what happened.

2 Likes

I think Ejaria was worth more than that because his performances seemed to improve last season in comparison to the one before that (hence the low fee that was inserted) but if that what you read on Twitter is true, then it really makes me happy that Liverpool hierarchy are upholding such values. I do think that there was a sell-on percentage clause included when I read that report last summer but I can’t be bothered to find it.

Anyway, it’s nice to see it also because Ejaria was essentially an Arsenal reject whom Liverpool gave a path back into football at a relatively high level and he didn’t disappoint after early struggles. I think a lot of youth players and their representatives will take notice of that.

3 Likes

Ibe has signed for Derby apparently. His Instagram message yesterday was not good, what’s happening there?

3 Likes

I don’t know but it certainly sounds like something we’d agree to, perhaps with the sell on clause slightly increased or variable depending on when he may be sold on and for how much (to dissuade Reading from simply flipping him straight away and pocketing the profit).

1 Like

No idea where to put this (Ian Ayre, Nashville SC CEO)

He’s still got time to get his things sorted and make a decent career out. Derby is a good club for him with ambitions to get back to the premier league. Still think there’s a player in there though, Will be best for all concerned if he keeps his head down and slogs his arse off and hopefully, he’ll regain some love for the game.

And hopefully, he’s getting help for his depression.

2 Likes

Is their nickname The Neckbeards, by any chance? :thinking:

Legend.

4 Likes

too much vodka, me thinks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The same probably applies to Bobby Duncan too, as in going to Derby bit.

Buvac at Dynamo Moscow (English subtitles available):

Sports Director, so he will be responsible for transfers.

Wish him a successful career at Moscow.

I was reading an article (link below) the other day in which he states that he basically was manager and Klopp only front man - seems a bit bitter - and its clear that Klopp has managed fine without him.

That said, all the best to him