Former players and managers - general discussion

As well as your point I think it also ignores the fact we weren’t a team that could sit back and let the other team do as they wished. Chelsea were still in with an outside shot at the title they wouldn’t have sat back all game and meekly gone for a draw, that was just Jose lulling us into a false sense of security. We had the edge, quite significantly, in a tense but controlled game of probing each other but they were coming forward, having attacks and if we’d just sat back we’d have got spanked. That team wasn’t good enough and balanced enough. Its only real form of effective defence was offence. To walk away from that game with 1 or 3 points, chocked full of talented players and Jose at his height in charge, we needed to score goals. Them scoring first allowed them to completely close up. They were quality enough to sit back on a lead and hit on the counter. That made it mission improbable after that needing to recover a ridiculous goal difference or City to slip up. If we’d beaten Palace 4 or 5 nil i guess there was the smallest chance but chasing that ridiculous score line was something else that put paid to that wonder season.

1 Like

Except that is precisely what they did. I think Jose’s plan was to hope that would drive us mad and coax a mistake out of us they could exploit, but it didnt happen. What happened wasnt a mistake borne out of us playing into Jose’s hands. it was one borne out of the vengeance of Olympus pissed that Zeus slept with Stevie’s mum.

Maybe had it got to 60-70 minutes and still been 0-0 he’d have started to play a bit more, but through the period prior to the goal it was one of the most negative performances i have ever seen. And despite the convention wisdom of it winding us up and coaxing us into being irresponsible, i.e. Jose’s tactics working, we seemed totally content in knowing we could hold onto the ball for 90 minutes and a draw being enough enough for us.

3 Likes

Agree Limie that Chelsea sat right back and wasted time etc all through first half. But all the more reason why Rogers should never have had us pushed so far up on the half way line with Gerrard as sweeper. We were hugely naive and Rogers bottled it that day with his tactics.

Some have used derogatory terms, don’t think I have.

Like others have said, had we beaten West Brom, had we not lost to city we’d have won the title. All ifs and buts. You don’t win or lose a title because of one match. Had Rodgers been able to organise a defence even half competently we’d have won the title.

I admire your stance and not trying to change the way you think. That season we played some exhilarating stuff. He’s too quick to take the plaudits but quicker to blame others when things go wrong. That’s something I don’t like in a manager.

Probably put a photo of himself on the stone first.

I heard that it was the blarney stone that kissed him! :wink:

5 red cards… Porto V Sporting Lisbon :kissing:

Marchesin + Pepe - Porto
Sebastian Coates + Palhinha + Tabata - Sporting

Think we rescued Luis Diaz just in time :0)

2 Likes

No idea about offiicial statistics - the source for these stats was the owner of lfchistory.net

On the website they have assist statistics for each player with a fairly detailed breakdown of those assists - which comps and teams. With Kenny, for example, they have him on a total of 165 assist for us; 115 of which were in the league. The team he got the most assists againts was Norwich (11 assists - imagine the damage a Kenny/Suarez duo would cause Norwich). https://www.lfchistory.net/Players/Player/Profile/287
Keegan’s assist they have as 72 assists total; 50 in the league, with Derby being his most profitable team (7) Liverpool career stats for Kevin Keegan - LFChistory - Stats galore for Liverpool FC!

For Callaghan and St John their profiles do not show the assists but you can check season by season to check assists - the two seasons shown on the table:

Oddly enough the 63/64 season is the earliest one they have assist records for - every season before that they have a lot of stats for but assists begins being tracked in 63/64. If any player strikes your curiousity they have player based search engine. I had a cursory glance at a a few players - Kenny, Barnes, and Gerrard all had over 100 assists - Kenny with the most, then Stevie, then Digger.
List of Liverpool Players - LFChistory - Stats galore for Liverpool FC!

6 Likes

That site is absolutely brilliant for a long time now (with improvements every now and again, but I admire that it’s basic and clean), I use it almost on daily basis.

It’s pure love, nothing else. A clean archive.

I wish every fan had a site like that regarding their club.

3 Likes

It’s amazing, so easy to wander down a rabbit hole. Just looking at PL goals scored in extra time: Premier League: Goals in added time - LFChistory - Stats galore for Liverpool FC!

I’d completely forgotten about Kuyts +12 min pen against the Arse, but as soon as I saw it written down the memory of Kenny telling Wenger to piss/fuck off came back clear as day.

4 Likes

I watched that in a bar/cafe in Caleta de Fuste. I really thougt we’d lost it. Kenny telling Wenger off was brilliant. I remember it being an early kick off. The bar/cafe insisted that you ate or gave your table up. They wouldn’t let me sitvat the bar. So I sat with a plate of chips in front of me the whole game. If they lost any money on food, they certainly made it up in beer sales from yours truly.
:nerd_face:

3 Likes

Yeah, remember that game.

One of those days/perfect examples why you should never play Skrtel as the left sided CB, that was criminal to watch.

:joy:

2 Likes

If I remember rightly (I can’t be arsed checking) Gerrard had wrongly disallowed goals in both games against Stoke that season and both games ended in a draw.

1 Like

We won both games against Stoke in 13/14. First it was right at the start, Sturridge winner and Mignolet penalty save, second was that wild 3-5 win I think.

1 Like
1 Like

This is a factor to consider when it comes to who follows Klopp. Pep Lijinders vs Gerrard for instance.

There were five players on this list that I couldn’t remember scoring a CL goal for Liverpool - although I remembered the solitary goal one of them scored but only after I had seen his name in the list.

2 Likes

Well, yes, but it is more of a factor when trying to gatecrash a move than when the heavy lifting has been done already.

If there is a plan for Pep to take over from Jurgen, then i would expect we continue seeing more of Pep in the spotlight before then.

To the rest of the world he’ll still be a “who?”! One short, unsuccessful, reign in the Netherlands and LFC assistant manager when all eyes are drawn to Klopps aura and charisma?

Diaz being all but agreed on his way to Spurs then coming here shows its not always about how much leg work has been done.

I’d say current status of the club involved, likelihood of trophies, location based in, league in question, wages and manager reputation are the main considerations for players. We will always tick some boxes, doing well on the pitch under Klopp and paying decent wages we tick or half tick all but location.

1 Like

We didnt just get involved after Spurs made their bid though. All that did in practical terms was set the fee.

2 Likes