Former players and managers - general discussion

We played some wonderful stuff under Rodgers. Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho and Suarez were often spectacular.

We came as close to winning the league as we had done under Benitez, and our football that season was thrilling. Naive too.

It was certainly refreshing compared to the end of the Benitez era and what followed. But like Rodgers himself, it flattered to deceive. Sorry, but I never warmed to him.

8 Likes

You were the one with the ā€˜so called fansā€™ throwaway line buddy. Iā€™m not getting into he said, she said with you and superfan bullshit, itā€™s fucking childish. Iā€™ll reach 50 years of supporting, hopefully, you just happened to be born sooner, ta.

Now thats out the way, it was all about him in what he did and how he did it encapsulated by his ā€˜give me the toolsā€™ interview. It was a thrilling season, a joyous ride and yes he had an integral part to play in it. He also had an integral part to play on why we didnā€™t win it and a large part of that came down to him being unable to set up a defence and conceding 50 goals that season. Suarez masked alot of the teams deficiencies and Rodgers either didnā€™t care to address them, or couldnā€™t and as has been said, which I also did not know until a few days ago, he played a large part in the departure of Suarez. He caused absolute havoc with our transfer process and the Club was at war with itself, the fans were at war amongst ourselves and alot of that was his doing so no, I for one am not proud of Rodgers being our manager, one glorious half season or not.

4 Likes

I can understand that. I didnā€™t like that tv series on Liverpool, canā€™t remember what it was called now. This is Liverpool or something else inane. He came across as a bit of a pillock in my view. It all ended badly and much is down to Rodgers and perhaps some down to the club. I donā€™t profess to know all the ins and outs of what was said, who said what etc, but the post Suarez season was a huge disappointment from which there was only going to be one outcome. Fortunately FSG had the sense to appoint Klopp and the rest is history. There is no comparison between the two managers - chalk and cheese. I still stand by the fact that Rodgers almost won us the Premiership for the first time. We were so close, we could smell it. And yet at the end, a slip from Stevie G, a draw against average opposition and it was gone. Small margins, but such is life.

1 Like

I donā€™t claim to have any inside knowledge on how LFC conducts itā€™s transfer business, although it seems in a much better place now than it did seven years ago. I can understand your dislike of Rodgers for one reason or another, I am trying to be impartial and give him some credit, not much, but a little. You are right - in the great roller coaster season it was a case of we could score more than we conceded. It was never a long term solution, but Iā€™m sure Brendan would have realised that and tried to do something. I mean we could all see it. Once Suarez left the goals dried up but the leakage at the other end continued. I would like to know what went on behind closed doors, bur I guess weā€™ll never know for sure.

1 Like

Indeed. Toure passing it straight to a West Brom player. Sterling being wrongly flagged offside against City. Etoā€™o not being sent off for a horrific challenge on Henderson. Hendersonā€™s red card. Rodgersā€™ tactical naivety.

Loads of small margins caused us to fall short.

7 Likes

Obviously throughout the season there are lots of mishaps, but everyone remembers the Stevie G slip. We just had to win at home and the premiership was ours, but Mourinho parked the bus and profited from an unfortunate slip. Despite our goal scoring exploits we couldnā€™t get past the bus. Ironic given Mourinhoā€™s previous criticism of bus parking.

1 Like

Sorry, but only arseholes like to say we lost the league because of Gerrard.

4 Likes

I wasnā€™t blaming Gerrard, itā€™s just a fact that had we won that game we would have been champions. And come on mate, do you really need to add invective like using the term arsehole? Weā€™re all supporters here. Why the aggro?

1 Like

Far too simplistic to say because Gerrard slipped we lost the title (paraphrasing). Iā€™m more interested to know why we went out to try win a game when after 5 minutes or was obvious to everyone that Chelsea were content to just stay in their own half. Rodgers should have reacted to that and told our lads to do the same. See the game out, donā€™t take any risks, get the point and the title is still in our hands. But his ego meant that was impossible. He had to beat Jose to demonstrate how amazing he is.

His own insecurities cost us in that match. His inability to organise a defence cost us over the course of the season and itā€™s something that he hasnā€™t learnt to remedy.

11 Likes

Never said that Gerrardā€™s slip cost us the title, but we lost that match and with it the title. Thatā€™s not the point. The point was that we were so close. Thatā€™s all. Everyone is trying to overanalyse this. Itā€™s simply a fact that we were so close to winning. End of. You can say what you like about Brendan, mostly bad it seems, and I donā€™t have any issue with this, but if we had beaten Chelsea the Premiership was ours. Itā€™s long gone, so why we are arsed about it god only knows. Thankfully the current situation is much more healthy, for which we should be thankful. However, the use of derogatory names in discussions is not well received and coming from Patrons, whoever they are, seems to set a bad example to the rest of us.

1 Like

No? Something has given me the impression your blame has been very much directed at Gerrardā€¦

Eg.

4 Likes

Oh dearā€¦

2 Likes

Steven Gerrard Reaction GIF by EA SPORTS FIFA

2 Likes

Oh for Christā€™s sake, Iā€™m not trying to imply that Stevie G lost us the premiership, and I think you must know this. We all love SG, who did so much for the club and hopefully will return one day. I was merely trying to show how fortunes can change in an instant.

Like a dog with a bone. And you a patron. Donā€™t make me laugh. Give someone a title and it goes to their head.

Got to be post of the week for meā€¦ :rofl:

1 Like

you certainly areā€¦

just agree to disagree?

I keep trying to move on. I think youā€™ll find there is a difference between standing your ground, especially having being insulted on several occasions, by patrons of all people, and labouring a point. Iā€™m bored senseless by this discussion.

Rodgers had a man crush on himself looks like heā€™s not the only one :rofl:. Blarney boy its rumoured he kissed the blarney stone more than once.

Itā€™s true in a practical sense if not a literal sense. Itā€™s not always fair that the miss that comes at the end of the game is the one that is remembered as deciding the match, but itā€™s practically correct even if only a part of the story. There are too many threads to pull on what might have happened differently had Etoā€™o been sent off (remember, that was a double whamy as he went on to score the winner), or Sterlingā€™s goal against City was allowed. But we were so close to the end of the season that were not any more threads to pull after the slip.

What I do find interesting is the idea that we pushed too hard to win a game we didnā€™t need to. We didnā€™t. I do think that is a stick used to beat Brendon because its easier to blame him for the loss of the title than accept something absurd happened to a player we love. In reality, that game was a domestic version of the Farce of Gijon with us just as content to walk around as Chelsea were to not leave their half.

3 Likes