Former players and managers - general discussion

Out of curiosity, which journalist it was? I still haven’t encountered a Croatian football fan who rates Lovren! :joy:

Think it was Robert Matteoni (I’m good with someone who works with him).

3 Likes

Shame really, you are normally really correct but you are so wrong here.
Our current CB’s have a better keeper than Reina, so when Allison is out are they exposed a bit? Yes is the answer.
Agger was in the elite bracket. Better footballer than Terry, by a country mile.
In fact Carra was as good as Terry except in a less successful team. The benchmark isnt Vidic or Rio for me, its VVD and Agger would be comfortable in his company.

Our clean sheet ratio with vs without Agger was strongly in his favour for long stretches. There’s a reason he was courted by elite clubs and elite managers, even despite his injuries, and it wasn’t because he scored a rocket vs West Ham.

5 Likes

Leaving Agger aside for a moment, I’m just annoyed that Lovren ever played for us. What a cunt (and he was shit) but more importantly he’s a cunt.

Agger was very good but suffered from too many injuries.

Agger was an excellent defender, but definitely in the bracket below the very best we’ve had in the position.

1 Like

He wasn’t a cunt. You might not rate him as a player, but he was never a cunt. If you’d ever met the guy, you’d know that, have a bit of respect. Pisses me off, the amount of abuse ex LFC players get on here.

2 Likes

I don’t think Sweeting is referring to his playing ability (except the bracketed bit). I recall there was something a couple of years ago that highlighted his links with some very unsavoury people. He is also an anti-vaxxer that (according to a tweet I saw this morning) criticized Disney for having a gay character (not sure if it was a show specific thing). There may be other things too that Sweeting is referring to.

1 Like

He’s a neo-Nazi sympathiser. Cunt.

2 Likes

Reina too, right? That one hit me hard.

Looks like Taiwo Awonyi could be playing against us next season.

Newcastle have been told £25m will be enough to tempt Union Berlin into selling Nigeria striker Taiwo Awoniyi this summer, although West Ham and Southampton are also interested in the 24-year-old. (Bild - in German)

1 Like

Does anyone know whether we have an onsell clause?

Yes. 10%

1 Like

I’m not sure if anyone’s following the Bundesliga this season, but didn’t he do fairly well at the start? I remember he was just behind Lewandowski (and possibly Haaland or someone else) as top scorer in the first half, but hasn’t scored since or something like that.

His goal the other week apparently broke the record for any Union player in a top flight season. No idea how prestigious a record that is though

1 Like

I thought They said on the broadcast he was was now the career goals leader for Union in the bundesleague. That was suggest they have been up very few seasons.

Assuming they mean only since reunification, this is only Union’s third season in the top flight.

Yeah, I assumed it was one of those American milestones where something is celebrated as being the first time someone has done something since two weeks last tuesday

2 Likes

That’s because America doesn’t have history, just current events.

Although I apparently was part of history last week. Saw Elton Johns farewell performance in Indianapolis- bought the tickets for my wife’s birthday 3 years ago. Show had been postponed 3 times. Elton claimed it was the longest wait from buying tickets for him to show up ever.

1 Like