General IT Thread

From the countless reviews and tests I read up on (before opting not to buy) the camera was championed by most and scored pretty highly in most of the benchmarking tests, from what I recall.

Fingerprint sensor and battery life really were the only things that stopped me from buying… and only just. 55/45.

It’s sorted, thanks :blush:

1 Like

Link please :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have been away for 2 weeks and turned on my Dell all in one PC. It is making a loud whirring noise but not coming on. Sounds like the fan? Maybe it is clogged with dust? It is about 8 years old.

I am tempted to try and take the back off and have a look. There are no screws though so I guess it is a prise off. Bit daunting.

Any advice would be welcome… :wink:

Otherwise off to the local PC repair shop first thing tomorrow,

Normally there’s lights that flash, if the hard drives light gets to a state where it flashes just a bit but frequently it indicates that the ordi has booted but isn’t sending a signal to the screen. Which means either connections or screen gone.
Some times if nothing happens it’s the little battery which just needs disconnecting and connecting again. Unfortuneately these are often in inaccessible places and you have to take the thing apart.
You could look on internet to see if there’s a video by someone taking one of these things apart. Finding the points to apply pressure with an adequate tool is difficult. I’ve only ever taken laptops with screws apart (there’s always plastic clips though and they break if you force too much).
There’s not much that can really go wrong on these things imo, it either can not access the hard drive (hard drive is dead), it’s the battery so can not access BIOS or it’s the screen. (that’s my tuppence worth I hope someone else can be more helpful).
8 years just coincides with the clock battery failure (in my experiences), if you can get in it might be worth changing it.

Good luck.

N.B by the battery I mean the clock battery (the slim roud watch sized thing on the mother board). Not the rechargeable power battery which in my experience in these things can last for ‘ever’. Only problems I’ve had with these is connections breaking due to idiots dropping the computer on the floor and short circuits due to bending the charging cables too much.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. Definitely looks like a trip to the local repair shop. I have always used them and bought it from them originally….

Remember to clear your search history first :0)

Not easy if it won’t even start up…:wink:.

I took the back off and checked the two fans. They were very dusty but did spin. I suspect a failed hard drive. Sounds just like the noise on a youtube diagnostic video. Anyway I back up regularly both on Onedrive and an external drive…

At 8 years old it might be worth considering a new one if you can afford it.
My desk top is from 2008 and well out of date.
I built 1 laptop out of my kids 2 laptops 8 years on, that was a worth while upgrade doubled hard drive space and internal memory as well as rescuing the one DVD player that still worked (they were exactly the same ordi (got one free due to a logistics mess up :grin:).
Of course my kids got new laptops and are better off for it. Even if they were relatively budget ones. As were the ones before.

Happy to fix it for you :slight_smile: You just need to get it to Warrington :slight_smile:

Thanks for the offer but this appears to have solved it but I don’t understand why…all seems well now.

The residual power in the computer may cause the laptop not to turn on. Follow the steps below to drain the residual power.

1. Turn off the computer. Press and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the power cable from the computer.

3.NOTE:* Dell all-in-one computers may either come with a power cable or an AC adapter. Disconnect the power cable or the AC adapter depending on the configuration of the computer.

1. Disconnect all devices or devices like USB drives, printer cables, and media cards (SD/xD).
  2. Press and hold the power button for 15-20 seconds to drain residual power.
  3. Connect the power cable to the computer.
  4. Turn on the computer.

Glad you got it solved, it’s soo frustrating not having what your used to working!

not so much a IT problem, more of a tech problem but i will ask in here…

my manager had brain wave and decided he wanted to create a design centre in 1 of the meeting rooms

he wanted 3 large TV’s on the walls that people could connect to wirelessly during meetings
(previously we had cable trailing all over the floor and TV’s on stands, not a good look for a modern photonics company)

nothing but problems…

first not all laptops could connect to the TV’s as the firewall stopped the connection,
this was a simple fix, took a while to get everyone to get this done via the contracted IT support team

next problem , all the TV’s are Hisense and the remotes keep interfering with the other TV’s,

is there a way that i can get 1 remote to work on 1 TV only?

tried programming the remotes, didnt work,

would a universal remote control work?
and give me the 1 control controling 1 TV rather than 1 remote controlling all 3 TV’s?

any advice?

simplest thing would be to keep a firestick / equivalent on one TV. The firestick remotes are all calibrated to that particular firestick IIRC.

I’m not sure universal remotes work as these are on broadcast frequencies.

Thanks for the suggestion, but…

Fire stick wont work as that takes me the fire stick home page

I need to go to the inputs screen to screen sharing.

Just an update on my All in One PC issues. It eventually failed completely. Dead as a dodo.The shop said that at first they thought it was the power supply unit. That didn’t solve it so they said it had to be the mother board and given it was 8 years old, it wasn’t worth repairing…

Seen it so many times. A dodgy PSU / motherboard / PCU / GPU / RAM can destroy some / all of the above. An 8 year old PC is worth upgrading if it works but isn’t worth fixing if it doesn’t.

Also, I’ve known keyboards and mice stop one machine booting and work with another. Sure the shop will have pulled the power to all the ancillaries and tried just the mobo and processor and waited for beeps….

Use the buttons on the TV? Clunky but it would work. Or shutter the IR receiver on the right and left screens so they can only see the signal when pointed from the left or right. Not a massively technical response but it will work. I’m sure there will be a system that will do this, will have multiple HDMI outs and connectivity. Never done it but sure they exist.

Hang on……

Black insulating tape over the LED,
Poked a hole in the tape using a pin,
collimating the beam,

Point the remote at the tv you want to turn,
And hey presto the tv turns and the other tv turns stay off

Job done…

2 Likes

The easiest thing would be to connect via HDMI splitters and choosing via the remote given by the HDMI which TV to operate.

But it will be a jumble in terms of the number of wires.

1 Like